SSP and Housing benefit

PJQueen
PJQueen Posts: 27 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 14 July 2019 at 10:06AM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi all,

Unfortunately I have been hospital for 2 weeks and home 2 weeks due to extensive DVT requiring surgery and blood clots to my lungs. I am signed off for 12 weeks on discharge as I need anticoagulant injections, for my blood clots in lungs to dissolve and to recover from surgery.

My employer pays company sick pay for 4 weeks which I have received full pay but due to pay dates it’s worked out over tw so as two weeks off fell in June, I was paid that end of June and will have SSP topped up by two weeks pay for July. Work has also agreed to pay annual leave owed so I can receive full pay for July.

I have informed the council I will be receiving SSP but as I am getting some company pay and some annual leave pay, I don’t believe I am eligible for housing benefit but obviously Augusts pay will be solely SSP at £94 per week (I think that’s the figure payroll quoted). They have requested two wage slips for June and July which I’lll send to the council once I have July’s payslip (I will receive it on the 28th).

I am assuming this will be pointless as I won’t have a pay decrease yet and it will be August’s payslip that will show only SSP.

They haven’t got back to me yet but of course as I will be getting full pay this month (made up of SSP and annual leave owed) I just pay the rent as usual then forward them the August payslip for help with Septembers rent?

I hope that makes sense.. it sounds very complex when I type it out

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I assume you have been receiving Housing Benefit and have a live claim - it is not now generally possible to make a new Housing Benefit claim. Help with rent is now normally provided through Universal Credit.

If your income is fluctuating just send them each payslip as soon as you receive it. They will have to work out your entitlement on a week by week basis.

The local authority do still deal with Council tax Reduction.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • PJQueen
    PJQueen Posts: 27 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Yes I have had help with it in the past though since starting a new job and pay was consistent they said I was not entitled to any help and to stop sending them payslips unless it changes?

I’ll just post off June and July’s when I receive it as they said they’re the ones they want but I doubt it will make a difference until I send August’s.

Thank you.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    PJQueen wrote: »
    Yes I have had help with it in the past though since starting a new job and pay was consistent they said I was not entitled to any help and to stop sending them payslips unless it changes?
    If your housing benefit stopped because you were no longer entitled to it then you won't be able to continue with that claim. Sending more pay slips isn't going to help here.

It's no longer possible to start a new claim for housing benefit as all areas are now a full UC area, it will be this you'll need to claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure