PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Smoosh

Could I please ask for some of your lovely sounding veggie recipes? Spring green lasagne and feta peas. Also how do you make a halloumi burger. Thank you 😊
    Pix
    Xx
    🎄The most wonderful time of the year 🎄
    #14 - PAYDTBX23
    #23 - 1% debt challenge
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Smoosh

Could I please ask for some of your lovely sounding veggie recipes? Spring green lasagne and feta peas. Also how do you make a halloumi burger. Thank you 😊
    Pix
    Xx

They're less fancy than they sound :o

The green lasagne is a Tesco recipe - https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/four-cheese-and-spring-vegetable-lasagne.html

The feta peas are literally just slightly mashed peas sprinkled with feta! Not too exciting but a nice addition to liven the peas up that we hadn't thought of until we saw it in a cook book.

We don't actually make a burger with the halloumi, we just grill it and serve it in brioche! :o
  • Smoosh
    Big shop this week, had some things to stock up on and we got there at a good time for YS bargains, so the freezer is now stuffed! Hopefully means next week should be cheaper.

£53.32:

2 lint rollers, goats cheese, 300g scallops (YS), 4 pints of milk, 12 babybels, pecorino, 4 yoghurts, 6 eggs, 4 cheese topped rolls, 4 tins of baked beans, dried egg noodles, huge ketchup, tomato puree, 2 sweet potato rostis, 4 fibre bars, 4 Portuguese custard tarts (YS), 4 cheese scones (YS), 6 crumpets (YS), 2 tuna steaks (YS), 2 packs of Quorn cocktail sausages (YS), chips (YS), vegetarian curry pot (YS), 1kg cherries (YS), a mango (YS), ready made mash (YS), 4 Quorn chicken burgers, bag of Quorn chicken pieces, bag of Quorn meatballs, mini potatoes (YS), 3 passion fruits (YS), basil (YS), salad leaves (YS), baby mushrooms, 1/2 a cucumber, piece of ginger, 3 bananas, green beans, bin bags, dishwasher salt, broccoli (YS), 4 litres Pepsi max, 12 bags of crisps, 1 red pepper, 2 vegetarian toad in the holes - although just looked at the receipt and released we paid for 3, not sure I can do anything about that now :(

Meal plan:
    1. Caesar style chicken burgers (Quorn) for me, scallops for OH with chips
    2. Roasted red pepper and goats cheese pasta
    3. Thai chicken (Quorn) sizzle with noodles
    4. "Brinner" - fried eggs, sweet potato rostis, Quorn sausage patties and beans
    5. Toad in the hole with roast potatoes and veg
    6. Fish (Quorn for me) with chips from the fish and chip shop
    7. Pie with potatoes and veg

Lunches will be soups and salads utilising whatever veg is leftover as well as the YS curry pot.

For breakfasts we have fruit, yoghurt and porridge/overnight oats.

And for snacks we have more fruit, crisps, breakfast bars, fibre bars, rice cakes, crisps, yoghurt, cheese, pistachios and jelly.

We're planning a mango, passion fruit and banana smoothie for breakfast tomorrow with custard tarts which will hopefully be yummy!

I may have to freeze some of the cherries - not sure I can eat 1kg in a week!

£122.09 left - 2 weekly shops left and we will need more cat food.
  • Thank you Smoosh. I get in a bit of a rut with my veggie meals! Nice to try something new. Where do you shop for all your YS bargains?

Out of interest does anyone use a soup maker? Not sure if it’s worth the investment!

Pix
    Xx
    #14 - PAYDTBX23
    #23 - 1% debt challenge
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Spent £58.98 altogether om Friday, £5 in £land, £4 in Wilkos, £4.88 in B&M, wanted more coffee and chicken from Tesco, £32.78 spent there, stumbled upon a trolley piled with y.s. household items, 3 viakal spray @ 38p each, 8 packs seaweed crisps @17p each, etc.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Smoosh
    Thank you Smoosh. I get in a bit of a rut with my veggie meals! Nice to try something new. Where do you shop for all your YS bargains?

Out of interest does anyone use a soup maker? Not sure if it’s worth the investment!

Pix
    Xx

Always happy to help suggest veggie meals, although I rely very heavily on Quorn products which I know aren't to everyone's taste.

Tesco :) they only seem to do them to 75% off now (used to be 90%) but still good for things we would've bought anyway.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite

Pix
    Xx

No. My go-to soup uses a large saucepan, a spoon and a stick wand mixer. Quite a lot cheaper and easy to clean and store without needing more cupboards...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Thank you Smoosh. I get in a bit of a rut with my veggie meals! Nice to try something new. Where do you shop for all your YS bargains?

Pix
    Xx

Soupmaker residing unused in my cupboard
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Eeeek! The joint that I thought I'd have to spend £20 on, was actually £27. So I was fairly firm with myself at the market this morning and spent a mere £5 on seasonal fruit & veg. I only have one more weekend to negotiate on this month's budget, so it's not disastrous that I have less than £100 to feed 4 adults, 3 cats, 2 cockatiels & 14 chickens for half of the month; payday isn't until 28th but we'll survive until then on what's bought the weekend before.

And the stallholder knows I have chickens... he gave me a half-rotten melon for them (chicken heaven) then asked if they like cherries. Chickens, of course, will eat almost anything, so I said yes, please. He darted behind the stall and presented me with a HUGE bag of very ripe cherries, for free! I sorted them as soon as I'd staggered home; about a quarter went straight to the chickens, and a handful to the wild birds, but the rest were perfectly edible. I've made another batch of cherry & mascarpone ice-cream & frozen a big tray of them, DD1 has made cherry vodka, and I'll make the rest into jam tomorrow. So if we run out of everything else, there are always cherries!
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Thanks for the soup maker thoughts!
    No. My go-to soup uses a large saucepan, a spoon and a stick wand mixer. Quite a lot cheaper and easy to clean and store without needing more cupboards...

What is your go to soup? Any veggie recipes would be gratefully received. I’m sick of sarnies for lunch 5 days a week. I fancy some lovely homemade soup.
    pamsdish wrote: »
    Soupmaker residing unused in my cupboard

Ok. I’ll try the pan method first!
    Smoosh wrote: »
    Always happy to help suggest veggie meals, although I rely very heavily on Quorn products which I know aren't to everyone's taste.

Tesco :) they only seem to do them to 75% off now (used to be 90%) but still good for things we would've bought anyway.

I love Quorn. Mr T has a good veggie range (frozen), I do try to shop in @ldi & Lid! However not a great frozen veggie selection.

Pix
    XX
    #14 - PAYDTBX23
    #23 - 1% debt challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts