PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Guppycaz
    Guppycaz Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    The boys sleepover went well yesterday and funny enough JJ they had pizza too ;)

Went to Mr T and spent £54 followed by A*DI spend of of £15, making a total spend of £69.. Much better than the £125 i used to spend!

The freezers are full to the brim and I really need nothing else for the week. Just need to stay clear of the SM and I'll be fine!

Have just found some belly pork strips at the bottom of the freezer, any ideas what to do with them?
    Grocery Challenge: June £92/£500
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all, last day of my week off today :o boo

Yesterday OH made a beef and ale pie that we had with chips and peas yummy :) and today we are having LO pie with potatos and veg yummy!!

Also OH has made a apple and blackberry crumble (inspired by FLO'S crumble pictured yesterday :D) The blackberries are the last from our freeze that were foraged the end of last summer :T- cant wait for Blackberry season again so we can get them for free- cant believe the price of them in the sm!!!

We have had quite afew crumbles and blackberry jam oh and blackberry ice lollies from what we got last year

Anyway im rambling on!!! Spent £1.55 on custard and a carton of cream today
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

Mostly I just lurk, and read all your words of wisdom... sometimes I read the posts in the wrong order...

I did that today, and look what I read... Lol! x

On a better note, has anyone else tried MrA's SPrice shampoo for 20p? I've been using it this week, and I can't stop telling people about it! My hair is so soft, it feels like I've used some expensive conditioner, but it's just the shampoo

Kitchenbunny - I have - it was OK but I would add a few drops of vanilla extract and some pureed fruit to make it less custardy - strawberries are good ...

I'm still giggling now x

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Thank you for that!!

I am glad I am not the only one who reads posts backwards some times :T
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Options
    Guppycaz wrote: »

Have just found some belly pork strips at the bottom of the freezer, any ideas what to do with them?

Yum I love belly pork- OH just roasts them in the oven and we usually have them with veg in a Sunday dinner style- very simple but I love it :D
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    Another NSD day here :j

Just had late lunch/early dinner of HM chicken and veg curry.....took it out of the freezer and I have NO recollection of cooking it!! I know some people "sleep-eat".....wondering if I might "sleep-cook"!! :rotfl:

Anyway, it was delicious and enough for 2 meals (I didnt think it would be but very filling when I got started) so maybe I will wrap the remains in a tortilla for lunch tomorrow.

Will defrost some more HM stuff to make way for a meat delivery arriving tomorrow - hope I can squeeze it in :o
  • Guppycaz
    Guppycaz Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that, the simpler the better in my case... Delia Smith I am not!
    Just found the recipe for belly pork on page 1, haven't got pears but guess I could use apples and have never even heard of caraway seeds!
    Grocery Challenge: June £92/£500
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just seen my DGS off back home, had a lovely few days with him, My DIL bought a lot of the Asda reduced , 10 pound,so back in challenge, just need DD to get back from Florida and see what she wants and see how much I have to end of month.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NickJW wrote: »
    That made me laugh as well Midnight Shopper! :D

Had a bit of a spendy day yesterday - the weather was nice and sunny for a change so wanted to make the most of it

Soooo...

£4.24 in Pret on a sandwich and coffee. I don't know why these places are always so busy - it's been years since I've been to one and I was really disappointed. I won't be going there for a while since it wasn't worth the money!.

I find just about any meal I buy out disappointing and not worth the money.
    Slimming World at target
  • sb88_2
    sb88_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    You can do it! Think how satisfying it will be to resist them - almost as satisfying as having new running troons, eh? Why don't you line them up as a treat for when your OD is cleared - a reward for working at sticking to your budget? :)

Thankyou for the encouragement!

I think that is what I will do, a reward for resisting untill I can afford them! It sounds daft even considering buying them knowing I have an OD to pay off.

I was hoping to buy them as an incentive to keep running! Although I enjoy going out, I find it SO hard to get motivated! nothing like spending money and having to get the wear out of them to get you out heh
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Guppycaz wrote: »

You could make a hm BBQ sauce (squirt of ketchup, dash of worcester sauce, dash of tabasco and a slosh of vinegar whisked in a jug - adjust to tanginess of choice).

Then marinade the pork (cover the belly pork with the sauce and turn them over to coat). When you're ready pop them in a medium oven (170c) for about 45 minutes to an hour (the longer the better with Belly but make sure it isn't burning). I do this in the lid of a pyrex casserole so the sauce dries up a bit and becomes sticky

Meanwhile you cook your veg.

You said you're not very experienced so hopefully my explanation is easy to understand. Whatever you do, belly is best cooked longer and slower (on a slightly lower heat) as it is a cheaper cut and the long cooking helps to tenderise it

Good luck
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport