NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived

Comments

• sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi all turtles :j

Still not on it as back still bad, did manage to do a bit but not as much as I should have. If it doesn't get significantly better by tomorrow I will make an apt with physio, always supposing he has spaces.

Janus So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? I would like to have the house much clearer. 5 years? House completely clear & clutter free, DD settled in her own home. 10 years? Spending half the year in Ireland, half here

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. Have lapsed crochet in favour of knitting, will resurrect. Also, only currently do TV knitting (no need to concentrate). Will make time to do more complex things when not watching the box. Still just doing the TV knitting & tbh not much of that. DF was very pleased with her socks, which makes the knitting worthwhile I think.

ALSO, be active. Keep moving. I will make an effort to keep moving, tried to get family interest in a walk today but no go...will work on this. Was as active as I could be at CS but no other walking..more like hobbling today sadly

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) 2/18 NSD today.

-your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed. Nearly - think I will say £250 for us & all animals, should not need near this amount so all saved will go to another project. No shopping today, all food from stores..

-£5 to foodbank / charity Will do this week. Tried to purchase something from charity, held up by website, will investigate. Still ongoing

-pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget Do not have debt but have a cc paid off in full each month, which gives vouchers I use at Christmas. Has been a v spendy month, will cut down as much as possible. Still a WIP

-meal plan Got up really late as disturbed night with storm & back pain, Did make soup when I got up though, was tasty & some leftovers for tomorrow. Supper was HM calzone using wraps chips for DH & SP chips for me (& DD who came round after work)

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... Making shopping list for tomorrow now, don't work outside the home but do a bit of voluntary work. Deviated a bit from shopping list, but not much, took fruit to work & get free brews..Don't drink coffee & never go in coffee shops..will try & take snacks, drink when out & about..

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. Got more books from CS to add to the stash but will return once read. Only read when in bed so takes awhile to get through

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Determined to look after myself & pamper a little each week, have already had a face pack yesterday, need to do things for myself instead of being a in constant rush doing stuff for family..No chance to get into greenhouse today as friend always comes on Wednesday for a cup of tea & natter. It did take care of me though, as she can read - although rusty - Cyrillic script so is helping me decipher the bags of my dads letters from his family going back 60+years

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra can you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove. Plan to eBay lots of stuff, watch this space Nothing done yet

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you? Have joined Frugalwoods challenge already & will be interested to see how it pans out. Have been on MMM & introduced his philosophy to DH, applied the principles so we are now MF - wish we had done it years ago, wasted so much time/money etc. in the past..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • DancingDragons
    DancingDragons Posts: 125 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2018 at 7:27AM
    NSD 3/18
    Fmess I’ve always wanted to teach, engaging minds and such is something I enjoy doing. But I know that I would want to do it ‘right’ and commit to it. For it to be viable I’d have to do full time. I’m going to register for an experience day, (Ks3 computing) but the more I research and explore the more it doesn’t seem to fit right now. L
    Reading: Back on the wagon with this. Finding a comfy corner in the house to do it is difficult. DH likes to fall asleep with the TV now he’s all Dry January, I like quiet to read.:wall: DD1 giggles away to YouTube on the sofa. No luck there. The dining room chairs are horridly uncomfortable. 5am works though ;)
    NSD yesterday, YS buys saved a food planning disaster, Dad told me the chicken he’d given me was cooked. Which it was, then he decided to switch chickens to the larger one…uncooked and frozen. Not ready to eat at 5pm with hangry family all but banging utensils on the table.
    Spendy day – food petrol. New bits of school uniform because kids won’t stop growing will have to come out of food budget. Will keep receipts and update the spreadsheet/notes.
    Earn Extra: SStill finding bits of Christmas that escaped the mass take down, but as an upshot found that a survey do-da has earned me £50 in vouchers.
    Money to debt and Savings done this morning –go me, this super organised thing you’ve turned me into :DFoodbank donation will also be made today.
    Have a great day folks!
    Debt Free April 2019:j to July 2019 :( NEW WTC:eek:1,194
  • Hope you’re okay after that mothernerd. Some people are seriously creepy.

Yesterday was a NSD - 2/18

Took lunch to work this week so far, no trips to coffee shop!

Have hit 10,000 steps a day so far this year!

Will update properly tonight
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Happy birthday x_raphael_xx:bdaycake:
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Good morning. Another early day in work (wish I always could just take my self from bed to work in 40 min, rather than the 1h50 it takes with kids and OH).

Today should be SFD number 2, hopefully make it to the gym, salad for lunch 1 and leftover stir fry from dinner for lunch 2.

Catch ya later
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi All -

Just checking in-

Janus- still got my eye on the prize for our goals. Really making an effort this month to keep to budget, as any over spend is where it will start coming down around me :rotfl: I am keeping in mind that I work out what I have and live the best I can for that rather than living how I want and trying to fund it.

Activity- went YS shopping again yday, going again tonight and walking down.

Non Negotiables- meal plan done for next week while we are away, todays is NSD #4 and budgets are set. I do need to alter them slightly though, I am waiting for a refund of Childcare of 600 quid. I know this is coming so included it in mu budget but as it isn't here yet I feel uncomfortable about it. So I am going to hold fire on booking Lapland UK until it is here as having an emergency pot is a priory.
    Budget -
    1800 Paris
    900 Emergency fund
    when I get the 600 quid, I will round the emergency fund back to 1000 and put 500 in lapland Uk fund. so as it was before basically
    General -
    83 spends
    130 fuel

unbashed devotion- going YS shopping again tonight. Only way I can make budget ha ha .

always Plan- lunches packed

reduce, reuse, repair, - read my son another unread paw patrol book last night.

you- running tonight, got a healthy lunch/

S T R E T C H - left hub leftovers from last nights tea for lunch :D
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    1SmallStep - I don't travel by train often so I am always horrified by the prices but hearing what people pay annually the last couple of days is just awful - particularly for people travelling into London for jobs with a regular salary.

I am taking the kids out today - in the rain - we are going to a cute town nearby, it is a very arty, indy type of town which we love. Will buy a bag of chips to go with the picnic I am taking, we aren't scared of a January picnic in this family.

Did the grocery shop last night and had a £9 off a £60 spend, got to the till and had only spent £53.91, it would have been silly to just lose the voucher so to much tutting I had to dash off and top up the spend, I got three meat products for the freezer which will be used in the next few weeks.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Budgets

£40.01/£115 petrol/diesel
    £108/£370 groceries
    NSD's 2/18
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    1SmallStep wrote: »
    Mothernerd, sorry about that man! You sound like you handled it perfectly but grrrr that this type of thing happens. I hope the next person he propositions is as strong!
    :)

I hope the next person he propositions has a cattle prod......I know where I would like to prod it! Seriously Mothernerd well done you in the way you handled that but please consider reporting to police......He may have done it before and is known to police and will no doubt try again and the next person may not be as strong as you.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Happy birthday x_raphael_xx - hope you have a lovely day :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport