PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018

Comments

• pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    I'm going to do a chicken stew next week, I never do stew with chicken always beef or lamb. I've got most of the ingredients in already, and my boys like chicken so I'm hoping they will eat it too.
    I'll make enough for leftovers for my lunch the next day and might even turn some into soup if I've got enough left.

I've also got loads of Brussel sprouts, never made them with bacon or any other way except boiled so going to try something new with them.

My daughter made them with bacon for her Christmas dinner - thinly sliced then stir fried. I don't eat meat so she made mine with sliced onion and black pepper. They were very nice, which was surprising as I can't bear boiled sprouts :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • I'm in too please!! :D

I have a stupid amount of cookery books and despite being vegan for donkeys, I still can't bring myself to part with all my none vegan books!!:rotfl:

I'm on a big 'use it up' drive over the next couple of months so won't necessarily be making 'new' recipes as such but there will be some weird and wonderful combinations! ;) I'll try to do something new every week - probably from my raw food books as I haven't really done much from them yet :D
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi pipkin and squirrelgirl :wave:

new to me recipe for tomorrow will be one from my lovely James Martin :)

Smoked salmon hash browns

Not a major push for me but do have salmon to use up and this looks lush :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Nelski wrote: »
    Hi pipkin and squirrelgirl :wave:

new to me recipe for tomorrow will be one from my lovely James Martin :)

Smoked salmon hash browns

Not a major push for me but do have salmon to use up and this looks lush :)

I saw that this morning, it did look nice (but I don't like smoked salmon).
    The fried eggs looked like a heart attack on a plate. :eek:
    But that's James for you. :)
    If it's not got butter in, it's not worth eating.
  • Nelski
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I saw that this morning, it did look nice (but I don't like smoked salmon).
    The fried eggs looked like a heart attack on a plate. :eek:
    But that's James for you. :)
    If it's not got butter in, it's not worth eating.

thats my boy :)

I did love the shake an egg trick though
  • Bought myself a blank recipe book today! I find that I use recipes from all over the place- blogs, magazines, recommendations from here etc. Or I just make them up and never, ever remember them. I'm still mourning the best vegan bolognese sauce I've ever tasted, which was the product of me throwing random spices in the sauce and seeing what came out. No idea what I used. So I am going to record recipes to test as I currently do by bookmarking. Once I've tested it and decided I like it, it'll get written in the recipe book and I'll start building up a record of 'tried once, liked it, lost it' recipes. There's a page of notes for each recipe so I can keep changing it as needed.

Will find out what my veg box will contain on Monday, so I can start planning week 1's recipe experiment.
  • Nelski
    Bought myself a blank recipe book today! I find that I use recipes from all over the place- blogs, magazines, recommendations from here etc. Or I just make them up and never, ever remember them. I'm still mourning the best vegan bolognese sauce I've ever tasted, which was the product of me throwing random spices in the sauce and seeing what came out. No idea what I used. So I am going to record recipes to test as I currently do by bookmarking. Once I've tested it and decided I like it, it'll get written in the recipe book and I'll start building up a record of 'tried once, liked it, lost it' recipes. There's a page of notes for each recipe so I can keep changing it as needed.

Will find out what my veg box will contain on Monday, so I can start planning week 1's recipe experiment.

good idea ...we may well be buying your book next year for all of our collections :)
  • Am thinking about eats for next week and have an overwhelming desire to go mental on the veggies with a bit of fish ie nothing heavy or rich. Not looking for vegetarian specific eats as I often use chicken etc stock in those recipes.

Currently feeling inspired by “The art of the larder” by Claire Thomson and “JapanEasy” by Tim Anderson along with the usual suspects Heidi Swanson & Amy Chaplin etc.
  • Nelski
    Am thinking about eats for next week and have an overwhelming desire to go mental on the veggies with a bit of fish ie nothing heavy or rich. Not looking for vegetarian specific eats as I often use chicken etc stock in those recipes.

Currently feeling inspired by “The art of the larder” by Claire Thomson and “JapanEasy” by Tim Anderson along with the usual suspects Heidi Swanson & Amy Chaplin etc.

thanks mr S Im in the same place re something fishy or veggie ...I had a yearning for lettuce last night which is a first for me :D

Ill check out those books ...thank you and happy new year :)
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I’d like to join in please. It’s all too easy to get in a rut and cook the same old same old. Tonight we’re having salmon with chilli ginger sauce from The Hairy Dieters, a charity shop buy before Christmas. It’s marinating now.

Over Christmas I made Christmas Gravlax with dill, treacle and cumin from their book 12 days of Christmas. It was fab and I’ll definitely make it again

So I’m counting those 2 and we’ll see how many I manage by next Christmas!
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family