Should regs be posted on main board?

Comments

• Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Posting them with an end date E: 31/13?
    Thanks Toni.

Sticky? I don't think we need one. You are right about us aiming to use one method. The main thing is that the BGs know and agree. Then if folk don't post as required, I guess we would ask a BG to modify the end date, while keeping the posts where we want them to be. As happens now when people don't post in the right format.

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Any other suggestions?
    So far some ongoing "lotto" posts are the only ones for this "combined" thread as everything else fits within the normal posting criteria. Say there are 20 of those comps, once they are in a post whether that has a monthly or annual end date it's easy to just copy and paste for the next month/year as required without needing any special date format.

I suppose it's a question of where one stops, do we tear off the toilet roll and give people the full botty wipe as well? There are daily instant wins that run for a couple of weeks (some longer) that are posted correctly by end date but a "strict" end-dater would miss out on all but the last few days.

Or just have a thread with a title like
    E: 31/10 Win Cash and Much More

There are multiple competitions in this section of the forum with a vast range of prizes, from enter daily/weekly/monthly competitions to those you just enter once to be in all the draws. Check it out now!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93
  • cornishpasty1
    cornishpasty1 Posts: 27,908 Forumite
    Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted
    Here is a perfect example of what's happening without us knowing/realising:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5541519

I have this bookmarked showing E: 31/12 ? Win a set of PUMP Audio in-ear headphones but I presume the boardguides have taken it upon themselves to make it a regular and change the format and move to The Regular Competitions Board (and off of the main board). I posted a comp back along and the same thing happened to my thread.

Personally I would think it better to post ie E: 31/12 ***** (Daily/Weekly/Monthly) and allow the post to get bumped as and when relevant changes occur (and stay on the main board).

Personally I prefer an ongoing thread to be marked ie Weekly with an end date and only posted once (with a link into Weekly thread). I would also personally prefer the ongoing monthly competitions to not be posted each month or at least be marked monthly (as it's more to sift through), but that's my personal wish and I work with however they get posted.

It's OK to say all should be posted weekly or monthly but it's more work for whoever posts them and perhaps a possibility of being overlooked.
    #StaySafe
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year
  • grannybiker
    grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12
    But why are they being moved? Surely the BGs know that all comps need to be on the main board, so even if someone asks they could politely explain?
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • mjm3346
    edited 8 October 2017 at 6:33PM
    Any other suggestions?
    It's OK to say all should be posted weekly or monthly but it's more work for whoever posts them and perhaps a possibility of being overlooked.

If they are posted with the correct date on main (for the weekly ones that is just one week not the final closing date) then they are on the board and potentially seen by everyone in the first week and it has taken whoever posts it no extra time to do this instead of posting just the final date - doesn't have to be the OP who posts the subsequent weeks but everybody including end-daters can already have bookmarked the competition.
    I suppose if they are posted with the final date anybody else could post the other weeks and perhaps just point out where the final week has been posted - that way the OP doesn't need to do anything differently if they don't want to.

(Just checked, the weekly thread index stopped being updated almost 3 years ago)
  • Blulu
    Just to say another thanks to all who have voted and/or commented. I'm not too sure exactly what we want to do next, so I have pm-ed a BG and a MSE staff member to ask them to have a peek at this thread, and offer whatever input they think would be helpful. We should probably give them a little time to think and possibly natter.

If nothing else, it is clear that most of us think all these comps should live on the main board. So I suggest we aim for that, regardless of the surrounding system. To that end, if anyone sees a regular comp that isn't posted on the main board, perhaps contact a BG and ask them to move it?

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • Daphne01
    Daphne01 Posts: 22,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12
    mumto2boys wrote: »
    The ongoing dailys like the postcode one I think should be posted on the main board once a year with the 31/12 of the date, then someone renew it every year.

The weeklys, I never understand the logic. There are plenty of weeklys that get posted up on the main board every single week without fail, mostly by the same posters which obviously is great. Off the top of my head on friday's there is Next, aldi, universal textiles, tuesdays there is the infamous fishslice, Wednesday we get Yours and Little Tikes etc. But hidden away on the regulars board is a weekly for Honeybuns, which is a Tuesday comp which only ever gets around 30 likes, but is no different a comp to all the other regular weeklys, so why it doesn't deserve a spot on the main board I don't know? There are a few in there the same, one for socks, jellyegg etc. There doesn't seem to be any logic too it.

I post a few of those weekly ones on the main board and just put a link on each regulars/weekly post, I agree most would miss them otherwise
    Here is a perfect example of what's happening without us knowing/realising:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5541519

I have this bookmarked showing E: 31/12 ? Win a set of PUMP Audio in-ear headphones but I presume the boardguides have taken it upon themselves to make it a regular and change the format and move to The Regular Competitions Board (and off of the main board). I posted a comp back along and the same thing happened to my thread.

Personally I would think it better to post ie E: 31/12 ***** (Daily/Weekly/Monthly) and allow the post to get bumped as and when relevant changes occur (and stay on the main board).

Personally I prefer an ongoing thread to be marked ie Weekly with an end date and only posted once (with a link into Weekly thread). I would also personally prefer the ongoing monthly competitions to not be posted each month or at least be marked monthly (as it's more to sift through), but that's my personal wish and I work with however they get posted.

Yes, I posted that one with an end date but the title was changed and then moved. Personnally I wouldn't mind posting it weekly on the main and adding a link to the regs post, again more people see it that way :)
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,370 Forumite
    Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted
    I like the way the Honeybuns weekly thread is updated on a weekly basis rather having each weekly comp posted seperately. I also like to see daily comps posted and then updated in the same way too - that is how the Advents are organised and it seems to work?
    It would be manic if every Advent daily was posted up seperately! So I vote for weeklies and dailies to be posted up once on then main the to have those threads updated weekly/daily :) Just my opinion though :)
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • mjm3346
    Any other suggestions?
    Weeklies are supposed to be posted each week fresh on the main Board and really there is no reason for weeklies to be in the regulars section other than as a convenience for some users.
    Having weeklies once on the Main reduces visibility not increases it.

ETA: yes it seems that people would like them all posted new each week so there wouldn't be a need for the weekly thread

(turn-out so far for the poll is less than 10% and the leading options represent less than 4% of registered active users in the comp section - basis of using 800 as a low figure for those who log in and thank at least one post a week, actual users will be much higher)
  • Blulu
    mjm3346 wrote: »

(turn-out so far for the poll is less than 10% and the leading options represent less than 4% of registered active users in the comp section - basis of using 800 as a low figure for those who log in and thank at least one post a week, actual users will be much higher)

True, but then, that's how most stats 'work' - LOL.

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income