Dealing with utilities debt after wife's death. HELP!!

I am writing this on behalf of my brother, he recently lost his wife. He isn't dealing with anything so I am trying to help him out as much as I can. My SIL has been hiding alot of debt from my brother and now that she has passed we are dealing with it. I have been trying to read up online about as much as I can but in regards to energy debts what happens? She has a huge debt with them. I have read that the debt would be transferred to us as we are still living here (for the moment) but I have also read that it can be written off although the energy companies will try to 'scare' you to pay it. Just want to know as much information before making the calls. Such a stressful time and want it to be easy as possible for my brother and my nephew & niece. Thank you for any advice/help

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I don’t think it is that simple to right off a utility debt because your brother as an occupier has been supplied with the service and is still receiving that service.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/nireland/consumer/energy/energy-supply/energy-bills/understanding-your-energy-bill/who-is-responsible-for-paying-the-energy-bills/

Is this rented or owned property?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is there a will ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2018 at 1:17PM
    Sam_carvel wrote: »
    I am writing this on behalf of my brother, he recently lost his wife. He isn't dealing with anything so I am trying to help him out as much as I can. My SIL has been hiding alot of debt from my brother and now that she has passed we are dealing with it. I have been trying to read up online about as much as I can but in regards to energy debts what happens? She has a huge debt with them. I have read that the debt would be transferred to us as we are still living here (for the moment) but I have also read that it can be written off although the energy companies will try to 'scare' you to pay it. Just want to know as much information before making the calls. Such a stressful time and want it to be easy as possible for my brother and my nephew & niece. Thank you for any advice/help
    It is possible the estate is insolvent. Have you any idea of the assets and debts of the estate? You need to be careful that you don't do anything that might be regarded as what is known as intermeddling. Don't do anything further until you are sure. Your brother is not responsible for his late wife's debts.Is there a property invpved? Who owns it and how i.e. tenants in common or joint tenants? Have you read the sties at the beginning of this forum?
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    Even if you don't speak to the company yet, take meter readings NOW (unless there were any taken nearer the time of death). See what others say before acting, but I believe that if the account was in the wife's name, your brother should be able to register a new account in his own name, and should have accurate meter readings to do so. This is no different to what would happen if they moved out and someone else moved in.

The energy Co may still pursue the Wife's estate for the balance, but they won't be able to apply it to the current occupants and force pre-payment meters on them etc.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    For utilities ownership and occupation information is important.
  • Keep_pedalling

Whoops! Apologies for that. Following that link the OPs brother will still be responsible for the bill if the property is rented, and he is on the tenancy agreement, or if he owned the property.
  • Thank you all but again its different things being advised. My brother rents and his name is on the TA it is only his wives name on the utility bill. At the moment him and the three children will be staying at the property bit dont know if this will be long term. There wasn't a will but she doesnt have any estate or money just some debts.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Sam_carvel wrote: »
    Thank you all but again its different things being advised. My brother rents and his name is on the TA it is only his wives name on the utility bill. At the moment him and the three children will be staying at the property bit dont know if this will be long term. There wasn't a will but she doesnt have any estate or money just some debts.

In that case unfortunately he is responsible for the bill. If you check out getmoreforless’s link you will be able to confirm this is the case.
  • Thank you I thought this would be the case.
    The debt is in thousands and there is no possible way of him paying it back. What can he do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure