Should regs be posted on main board?

Options

Comments

• fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 October 2017 at 8:19PM
    Options
    Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted
    I agree with comps first being posted on main &
    have voted for no.2 as the reg board is full
    of comps that seem to be lots of comps that get posted there
    that haven't been added to main board first,
    sometimes peeps spot them then add to main but lots get missed,
    I check it most days but agree with this poll that was set up a while ago that the reg boards title should be changed to help
    peeps posting but unfortunately nothing came of it,
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69286315&postcount=1

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69286315#post69286315
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• grannybiker
    grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12
    Oooh, er, not this again?!
    IIRC, the consensus, after much wrangling was...

As others have said. All comps posted on main board first.

Dailies need a link in dailies to the main board post.
    If the answer changes, e.g. Top Cashback, then all on one post that gets updated.

Weekly. Posted as a new comp each week, e.g. FB Next competition, Honeybuns.

Monthly - A new comp each month

Enter once and be in a draw that's carried over - On main board that's then linked in "Enter Once Early."

This way was agreed so the wishes / needs of end-date compers and those who enter as the comps are posted were both given consideration.
    Please don't change!
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Posting them with an end date E: 31/13?
    Thanks GB. LOL, I know where you are coming from re "not this again". Trouble is, I don't think it is happening the way you described. And perhaps it is worth just clarifying what we want to do about that. Most of us seem to be in agreement that they should be posted on the main board. So that is something we need to work on.

Meanwhile, please do keep voting and commenting folk. If we're looking into this, it would be good to get input from as many compers as possible.

Thanks to everyone who has voted/commented so far.

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any other suggestions?
    I occasionally visit it but don't use the regular section to enter comps, so is there really a significant number of new ones being added that are not posted on the main board?
    The ongoing daily "lotto style" ones are the only ones that spring to my mind, competitions with weekly prizes or a prize one day of the week can/are/should all be posted on the main each time, would there be enough to "Bump" the thread - also if end-daters sort the board when they start unless it happens to be on the front page at the time it won't be visible.
    Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted
  • okane_ga_nai
    okane_ga_nai Posts: 8,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 October 2017 at 10:56PM
    Options
    toniq wrote: »
    Without raking up a very contentious debate from several years ago, Mse butted in and stated everyone should get a chance to see the comp before it gets put in a different section of comps board. They wanted comps board accessible to all, that's newer compers, ones that pass through here and there and the regs.

Still seems fair, ongoing comps used to be posted with end of year date and every new year they would get posted again, again can't see why it would need to change.

x
    Thanks I did not know this. When I posted the win a dinner thread E: Daily Win A Dinner
    I was not really sure where to post this competition.
    I originally posted it on the main board and asked for a link to the Daily competitions.

I have read the comping guide about posting competitions but did not see posting such regular threads first on the main board mentioned. I have only been on here a year and a bit so still learning.

The Daily Competition thread link to win a dinner was originally posted direct to the competition site and not to the original thread. I asked for this to be changed to the original thread link as I like to thank the original poster when I win a competition or post in the original thread if I have a query and assumed others would like to do the same.

I was told there was an issue with such competitions going to game over and that was the reason for some links in the daily competitions going direct to the competition site and not the original thread. I then asked a board guide to move this competition to regular competitions instead of the main board assuming I must have posted it incorrectly to the main board initially.

I wonder if a message/sticky could be put on top of Regular competitions board & Main Board asking for all competitions to be posted on main board first with a specific end date from time of posting. So If I posted today E: 31/09 so it does not expire for at least a year or E: 31/13 if this is possible.
    If E: 31/12 is used maybe they may all end in game over at the end of the year.
  • jaibaby
    jaibaby Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    Weekly competitions are supposed to be posted on the Main each week and not just once with a final date as that is no good for end-daters who only see the final week, on that basis just one post with a 31/12 date would mean them missing almost a years worth of draws (though that is still better than not being there at all).

THIS! Every single competition should be posted on the main board, IE every week when a competition finishes and a new one starts, the new one should be posted. Simple...... or not in the case of some posters.

I've lost count over the last year alone how many weekly comps I've missed because they haven't been posted correctly.

Posted with the final end date, posted with wrong info, not linked on the weekly board, search not finding the word "weekly".

There are also problems with daily ones too, but I have become a bit slack at checking for those :o
    toniq wrote: »
    Though at some stage people do have to take the onus for their own comping and not expect to have it all on a plate, all it takes is a few folders on the taskbar and a routine and people would be fine.

Which many do, myself included, but when they're not posted as said they won't be found to be bookmarked.

And the mag daily comps should all be back as one post for each comp - if they aren't already.
    Thanks to all posters :A
  • xLuckyxAshxWinsx
    Options
    jaibaby wrote: »

And the mag daily comps should all be back as one post for each comp - if they aren't already.

They are apart from lifedeathprizes/celebsnow/wotv/woman/womansown/womansweekly, which I post as they run identically in timeframe with shared prizes. If they have to go separate i'll have to give them up as it/'s too time consuming to do that and the Mag Dailies thread and actually enter comps in between.
  • mumto2boys
    mumto2boys Posts: 7,993 Forumite
    Options
    The ongoing dailys like the postcode one I think should be posted on the main board once a year with the 31/12 of the date, then someone renew it every year.

The weeklys, I never understand the logic. There are plenty of weeklys that get posted up on the main board every single week without fail, mostly by the same posters which obviously is great. Off the top of my head on friday's there is Next, aldi, universal textiles, tuesdays there is the infamous fishslice, Wednesday we get Yours and Little Tikes etc. But hidden away on the regulars board is a weekly for Honeybuns, which is a Tuesday comp which only ever gets around 30 likes, but is no different a comp to all the other regular weeklys, so why it doesn't deserve a spot on the main board I don't know? There are a few in there the same, one for socks, jellyegg etc. There doesn't seem to be any logic too it.
    StayHome * StaySafe * BeKind
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,634 Forumite
    Options
    Posting them with an end date E: 31/13?
    Now then, I'm going to attempt to pull some of this together.

It seems to me that we nearly all agree that all on-going comps should be posted on the main board. There are only three votes, so far, not to do this, out of 54 votes. And nobody has come up with any convincing argument for not posting them on the main board.

We can also, I think, agree that this doesn't always happen, with at least once, an on-going comp being moved from the main board.

Clearly, our system needs tinkering with to ensure that on-going comps are posted on the main board, and that they stay there.

Voting is very close between the first two options. It needs someone better than me to work out what to do from here. But 'thankfully' me not being sure, never stops me having and voicing an opinion :D

I suggest the following - I think it is more complicated to explain than it would be to do it.

We ask MSE for a 'code' that we can use to bypass the automatic expiry system. I don't know if this is possible, if it's easy or if it would need their tech team to work on it. I suggest something like

E: o/g [as in "on/going"]
    E: 00/00
    E: 00/13

ALL on-going comps to be posted on the main board, using the coded, non-expiring end date. These comps should stay on the main board unless/until they expire. When one of them ends, it should simply mean clicking expire, and posting to ask others to do the same.

Then in the Regs board, we set up a thread where these are listed, with links to the comp on the main board.

Once a year, possibly twice, or even once a month if we prefer, someone plays 'bump queen' and bumps each on-going comp, to bring it to the attention of any new members, and as a friendly reminder. There are not that many of them, so it shouldn't be a mammoth task. I would be happy to take this on if you like. Furthermore, even if I forgot to do this, someone would think of it from time to time and do it, or ask about it in CCC.

End-daters could find these comps as part of their normal searching. They just need to search on the end date code to find any new comps posted. If the board is sorted for end-dating, these would probably all be at the top or the bottom of the board. Alternatively, they could subscribe to the thread in the regs and get an email when a new comp is posted there.

It would also make it so much easier to list them. We could get away with simply posting them on the main board, and some kind sausage would be bound to add it to the reg thread if the original poster didn't.

So go on then, it's over to you to tell me why this wouldn't work in practice :D

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 October 2017 at 11:12AM
    Options
    Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12
    You aint going to get a permanent sticky on main so I voted first option.

Mse made it clear a few years ago to the Bg's that everything had to be condensed into a few stickies. Hence Glad has a sticky linking to various other threads. They had to tidy up the boards.

The advent thread is only ever a temp sticky so we can get away with that one!

You really have one issue and that is too make sure everyone follows the same method, but herein lies the issue, who will police it? Bg's are busy enough, if other users do it can get volatile if someone takes umbridge, which guaranteed they will.
    #JusticeForGrenfell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport