PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems the height of irresponsibility to me to go abroad with no idea how to get home if your airline goes bust. I had to send a gf money about five years ago when her Hungarian airline went bust while she was away.

On recent trip to Berlin, my ears hurt so much from flying, I was considering taking the train home. There are other medical emergencies that might require the same.

Plus, as GQ mentions, you really need to take maybe £500 in Euro notes, as banks have a nasty habit of stopping your card when you try to make a payment abroad.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A pertinent question, GQ! Having just come back from a slightly-disastrous holiday abroad, yes, I did have the wherewithal to get all 7 of us home again if necessary! As it might well have been, as we were travelling Ryana1r. (But as TDiL's mother works at our local airport, we knew fairly early on that they weren't cancelling flights from the minor UK airports.) Also to do a night or two in a local hotel if necessary, but probably not enough to hire another villa for two weeks when the first one started letting water in & fizzing a bit.

If you are travelling with a reputable company, they should be members of the relevant professional body which will cover your costs if things go really pear-shaped. But if, like us, you've arranged it all yourself, it's just plain daft not to have some back-up plan arranged. Mine was just a credit card with a reasonably high limit, which I rarely use & always pay in full when I do, but it was there if we needed it. That said, to pay for another villa for 7 and extra flights home would just about have wiped my savings out. I do feel for the Monarch passengers, and the staff who have just lost their living. It's good to be home!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    And the staff who have lost their jobs are in for a hell of a shock when they hit Universal Credit and the Tories idea of unemployment benefit..
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Not to mention the knock-on effect of people who have paid Monarch for their flights/etc with credit cards and decide to claim the thing available for those buying goods costing over £100 of claiming on the credit card company.

I've always thought that credit card companies are the "innocent party" in arrangements that go belly-up and can't really understand why they get to carry the can in those circumstances.

So - what will the effect be on these innocent credit card companies of probably opening their post over the next few weeks to see however-many claims they get to have them cover Monarch's costs?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something, but, why doesn't Ryanair hire some of the, now jobless, Monarch pilots, so they don't have to cancel any more of their flights?
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    That's the law though. 'innocent' credit card companies know they have the same responsibility to the consumer as the seller when they issue the card and charge interest on purchases with the card.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I would imagine there are quite a few people though that hold a credit card, but rarely use it and always pay off any bills they get too promptly to ever pay any interest on them. I must be far from the only person that uses my credit card that way. I've never paid them a penny of interest.

But wonder whether the knock-on effect of this provision would mean those companies might be trying to figure out whether they could charge us interest to cover other peoples compensation claims? Hmm....if they try that....then I guess bang goes being able to use a credit card - as I'd just cut it up and not use one ever again....
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Money the consumer credit act 1974 (look at section 75) has been around for a long time. This isn't something new. You've been using your credit card all along accepting interest charges and having legal protection if something goes wrong.

I dare say, as credit card companies are big businesses with, I would expect, great big business plans they do account for forecasted compensation claims under section 75 and I also dare say that that risk is factored into who they give the cards to and under what interest rate. I don't think credit card companies are interested in people who pay off their cards religiously really when it comes to the nitty gritty and that, I believe, is because they can't make money.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but, why doesn't Ryanair hire some of the, now jobless, Monarch pilots, so they don't have to cancel any more of their flights?

Monarch uses Airbus, Ryanair are Boeing. You have to certify for each type of aircraft, so they may not be appropriately qualified.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    That's true, credit card companies are not interested in customers who pay all their statements in full every month, they like the ones who only pay the minimum payment because they will have them by the short and curlies for years and years.
    One life - your life - live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport