From debt to freedom...

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 November 2017 at 10:37PM
    That's a good idea Busy Mee about keeping pizza bases in ( and about the weeds:D ). Thursdays tend to be worse as it's the end of my working week and I feel quite rushed to get everything ready for the person who covers me on Friday. I leave at the latest point to be able to travel to the toddler's nursery before closing time so everyone is tired by that point. I felt bad spending so much on ready pizza :(.

Today I've thought through a menu plan

Tonight - kale hash
    Sat - fish portions and chips
    Sun - sausage and cider casserole
    Mon- vegetarian lasagne
    Tues - macaroni cheese
    Wed - children eat with the ex
    Thurs - jacket potatoes salad and quiche

I got most ingredients today so am hoping I won't need to go to Tesco until Wednesday and then only for milk. I looked everywhere today for toffee apples as I've always bought them for pudding on Bonfire Night. To my amazement, despite buying them every year at this time, there were none to be had. Apparently they were in for Halloween rather than Bonfire Night, so .I have researched the recipe and have bought some extra sugar so that I can make my own. Am hoping that I will have saved a few pounds by making them myself. I did splash out for some marscapone cheese as DD4 has been begging for a carrot cake ever since we took one up for DD1!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Don't be so hard on yourself Honeysuckle ....you shouldn't feel bad about buying frozen pizza to feed your family on a busy day..... A new handbag, a bottle of prosecco ( although this one is debatable) or a packet of fags.....these you could be allowed to feel bad about but not frozen pizza !

I have a yearning for Parkin ( it is that time of year again) so I am going to pick up the ingredients today. Have a good weekend x
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You are doing well with the repayments! I am in awe of pig-keeping plans, especially as my chickens are still on hold (so to speak) and are likely to be so till spring. :( One day you will be wandering up to the allotment to feed pizza crust to those lucky piggies... :)

Supermarket pizza is such a good energy-saver, I think you could build in an allowance of once a month or so. It would help you get through Thursdays.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • I like that idea Cherryfudge, of wandering up to see pigs each day:)

It's been an odd day today. DS1 wanted to go and see the FE college that his sister goes to, in order to look at courses for next year. He wanted both me and his dad to go with him. I did offer to stay in case he wanted it just to be time with his dad but he said he wanted both of us there. It is tricky in that I want to make sure that we can get on for the children's sake but It was a little odd to be there together, especially as I've done the DDs open days on my own. DS is thinking of a totally different set of courses to his sisters so it was interesting to see a completely different range of courses.

When we got back, DD3 had tidied the living room for me, thereby saving me some time. She has also helped me to make homemade toffee apples. We had to put the apples in a bowl and put boiling water over them. I was surprised at how different they felt without the wax. We had one apple with a wax tide line so it was very apparent. The toffee part went well and we've managed to coat 9 apples and put sprinkles on. In previous years I would have bought toffee apples for at least 75p each. I think the toffee ingredients came to about 60p and the apples came to £2, so £2.60 for 9 apples rather than the £6.75 I'd have spent before. Granted they might not look as evenly coated as shop ones but DD3 thought it was great fun to make them!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 November 2017 at 3:43AM
    The toffee apples went down well...I have a lovely photo of the toddler trying to eat one!

The day continued to be slightly odd as the ex's dog suddenly attacked my dog, who is a gentle soul, resulting in a puncture wound to his cheek. I'm keeping an eye on it. His dog is unpredictable which is not good especially round the younger children, so am plucking up courage to ask him to leave the dog in his car when he sees the children.
  • On a plus side I did buy 3 packs of Christmas cards in the 3 for 2 offer I saw. I try to include a handwritten letter for friends and family who live further afield so will need to get started now to get them written in time.

Just need to figure out presents for people now...
  • helsbell
    helsbell Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hope the dog is OK, and that you got some sleep ☺
    SPC 11, No. 062 DFD November 2020 :(
    Aug 2017 B'card £5006.83 BoS £1086.59 MBNA £0 Total: £6093.42
    Aug 2018 B'Card £995.06 BoS £863.43 MBNA £3,644.98 Total: £5503.47
    9.68% paid off
  • Cherryfudge
    Toffee apples sound lovely! For some reason I have reservations about making toffee, probably because I've had difficulties with getting fudge right, so I assume the same for toffee. I've seen them made, though, and tasted the results. :)

I hope your dog is okay.

• I had initial reservations about making toffee, Cherryfudge. I think it's the mix of children and boiling sugar that makes me worry. We made the most of the toddler's nap time to get them done!!

The dog still has quite a gash in his cheek ( I'm sure there is a more anatomically correct canine term!). It still looked quite damp this morning so am considering getting him in to see the vet tomorrow. I would hate for an infection to get in because it's an open wound.

Sausage and cider casserole for lunch today followed by homemade lemon meringue pie. The children were happy with the pie but not so happy with the casserole. I reminded the, that I was their mum and not a multiple choice restaurant:D
  • Cherryfudge
    I reminded the, that I was their mum and not a multiple choice restaurant:D

:rotfl: Absolutely!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport