BT not allowing me to leave PB contract without penalty after price hike!!

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No message in Martins weekly email , No heads up from MSE on this forum circa first week November .Followed by all the how to avoid increase posts .
    Nothing on your BT account pages ??
  • uberalles
    uberalles Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    I don't read the MSE page.

As I said, I've had nothing from BT. Nothing on my account page neither.
  • me neither Uberalles..... no notifications.
    The thing is my broad band is very good with BT .
    I wasn't unhappy until they insisted that I got notified,'' their computer says so''
    I just didn't, maybe I would have stayed maybe I wouldn't.... the point is I didn't get a choice, and when I raised it I got a tired ''seen it ,done it, tired of it, go away'' response from the customer service.

JJ Egan says there were other ways of finding out, I was on a contract, so price rises didn't apply to me.
    like when gas prices go up..... i'm on a contract until September, it doesn't apply to me.

I gather i'm dumb, and my stupidity is my down fall. I can't see that changing any time soon, the best thing to do is to buy only the essentials, have ''free view''...you can't get caught out then by bills you weren't expecting.
  • I arranged to leave BT due to the price hike (within the 30d). They confirmed via WebChat that there would be no early termination charges.

Then they sent a message saying there would be charges.

Another web chat, and a call back from their retentions dept they again confirmed there would be no charges.

Then they sent me a final bill - with guess what - early termination and hardware charges.

I've lost any confidence they will sort it out in a timely fashion, so I have written to them enclosing copies of the chat transcripts, and blocked the direct Debit at the bank for good measure.
  • I've lost any confidence they will sort it out in a timely fashion, so I have written to them enclosing copies of the chat transcripts, and blocked the direct Debit at the bank for good measure.

They can't now organise a timely refund of any owed monies.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    They can't now organise a timely refund of any owed monies.
    Yes they can. I have had several refunds from companies after the DD has been cancelled.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 January 2018 at 5:47PM
    I arranged to leave BT due to the price hike (within the 30d). They confirmed via WebChat that there would be no early termination charges.

Then they sent a message saying there would be charges.

Another web chat, and a call back from their retentions dept they again confirmed there would be no charges.

Then they sent me a final bill - with guess what - early termination and hardware charges.

I've lost any confidence they will sort it out in a timely fashion, so I have written to them enclosing copies of the chat transcripts, and blocked the direct Debit at the bank for good measure.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/complaints/queue_id/462
    Send in a written complaint using the online 'e-form' in the above link, stating exactly what you want to happen.
  • Has anyone got anywhere with this?

I've just found out after getting my bill and realised I have missed the email. I feel pretty stupid because I'm quite hot on these kind of things but one email?

I've had this in the past and I've had a letter sent to me. I feel a bit cheated now (and I admit a little stupid) but just one email? Surely they can make things a bit clearer.
    Now I've missed the 30 days I'm a bit stuck with it....
  • Nice to know that I am not alone. I also have additional problem of internet connection dropping and speed issues. Twice engineer came and reconnected the wire inside the property from the faulty two to non faulty. Speed improved for a bit then it dropped again, few days later connection dropping again.

Does any one know what percentage variation from upto adversited speed is unacceptable? For EG: my connection is 56 mbps. on average I am getting anywhere between 24-36mbps.

With regards to price hike only option BT left me is to go to OFCOM. I will keep you updated. If any of you have any success stories please share.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/bt-wholesale-broadband-checker-adds-downstream-handback-threshold.html

This may help. But make sure you check your speed from the master socket first, because anything in your beyond that is for you to pay for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure