Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• Would really appreciate forum users opinion please.

I have received my letter from CAA ref claiming the cost of my ATOL protected Monarch package holiday from my credit card. I paid with one credit card and then closed that card account transferring the balance to a new credit card with 0% interest!

Which credit card company should I be sending the completed form to or does the above mean I will be unable to claim against either of the credit card companies? Beginning to get quite anxious that I have lost my money.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Would really appreciate forum users opinion please.

I have received my letter from CAA ref claiming the cost of my ATOL protected Monarch package holiday from my credit card. I paid with one credit card and then closed that card account transferring the balance to a new credit card with 0% interest!

Which credit card company should I be sending the completed form to or does the above mean I will be unable to claim against either of the credit card companies? Beginning to get quite anxious that I have lost my money.

The card in which you made the payment.
  • Ive just received an email from the administrators. May confuse a lot of people who still have no idea which route to go down to get their package holiday money back.
  • Have received this email from Tesco this morning. Hopefully it will not be too long before we get our money back!

We have received a large number of Monarch claims from customers and are doing all we can to process these as quickly as possible. We have established a dedicated team of colleagues to review all Monarch claims and to process your case, however due to the number of claims received this is taking a little longer than we anticipated.

All claims received between 02/10 and 08/10 are being reviewed now and we anticipate that these claims will be reviewed by the end of October.

If we require any additional documentation from you to enable us to process your claim, we will contact you directly.

Thank you for your email and patience in relation to your Monarch claim.

Tesco Bank Disputes team
  • GGardner
    GGardner Posts: 10 Forumite
    After raising a dispute, it being closed, emailing another complaint, calling and speaking to a rather rude agent who told me to basically forget it and tweeting....

PayPal have emailed saying they've decided to waiver the 180 days and give me a full refund :j

So - encouragement to all....persist!!!
  • Hi,

Some advice would be appreciated, following the collapse of monarch a couple of weeks ago I logged a claim with my credit card company for a section 75 claim. I have had an acknowledgement letter today but the following sentence concerns me.
    ' the company acknowledges that where there has been a breach of contract by a supplier you may also have a claim against the credit provider under section 75 of the consumer credit act 1974. However on this occasion we believe the most appropriate route is not to deal with your dispute under section 75 and we will be seeking to chargeback the transaction to monarch airlines on your behalf'
    'In order to process the chargeback you are required to complete a disclaimer which we will send to you within the next 7 days'

Although I don't have this disclaimer form yet I have concerns that this disclaimer will be something that will remove the credit card companies liability to pay out under section 75 if the chargeback fails.
    Does anyone have any knowledge of this process & whether I am right to be concerned.

Many thanks
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,957 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    GGardner wrote: »
    After raising a dispute, it being closed, emailing another complaint, calling and speaking to a rather rude agent who told me to basically forget it and tweeting....

PayPal have emailed saying they've decided to waiver the 180 days and give me a full refund :j

So - encouragement to all....persist!!!

Well done! This may prove to be a game changer for others.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Saraht wrote: »
    Hi,

Some advice would be appreciated, following the collapse of monarch a couple of weeks ago I logged a claim with my credit card company for a section 75 claim. I have had an acknowledgement letter today but the following sentence concerns me.
    ' the company acknowledges that where there has been a breach of contract by a supplier you may also have a claim against the credit provider under section 75 of the consumer credit act 1974. However on this occasion we believe the most appropriate route is not to deal with your dispute under section 75 and we will be seeking to chargeback the transaction to monarch airlines on your behalf'
    'In order to process the chargeback you are required to complete a disclaimer which we will send to you within the next 7 days'

Although I don't have this disclaimer form yet I have concerns that this disclaimer will be something that will remove the credit card companies liability to pay out under section 75 if the chargeback fails.
    Does anyone have any knowledge of this process & whether I am right to be concerned.

Many thanks

Surely if both fail you have the ATOL protection as the last resort (assuming it was a holiday you booked)?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Saraht wrote: »
    Hi,

Many thanks

Probably right to be slightly concerned, see what the disclaimer says.

If it does ask you to waive section 75 then refuse to sign it, I've had a couple of occasions where the bank has said they'll use chargeback and I've agreed but retained the right to pursue through section 75 if the chargeback fails.
  • Sadly only flights so not ATOL protected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure