PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 7:36PM
    Options
    ooooo that cellar sounds very spooky GQ. Bet you don`t go down there on your own in the dark

Somehow I have managed to start on my very difficult craft room, knitting, spinning, weaving, rope making, pin felting, spindle spinning, health study books, more books, carving gouges, printer, house file, maps, herbals. Arghh, must be the most difficult room in the house and everything is being compounded by the huge volume in empty `really useful` and other good boxes. Its a good way to see the volume of emptiness but the emptiness has structure ie each bit is enclosed in a box, which has volume.

edit: a brainwave, I can store RU boxes containing beautiful blended fibre under my bed :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I sometimes wish that I didn`t have the energy of a whirling dervish, actually I don`t rush around but so much gets done. I just sat down and have three stacks of empty 9litre `ru` boxes ready to store, 15, probably in the shed. They actually store so well on my tall bookcase shelves in my craft room, so I am keeping them, in the meantime under my bed is 2/3 full of all my fibre and the best spun wool, the initial learning spinnings are all in bin bags. I have 2 bags ready for out and the cs trolley is full, again

I am definitely making good progress, I knew that craft room would be a massive hurdle but at least now all the unit tops are empty and tomorrow I am going to be ruthless with books and medications because I need to see ahead, what I want to be doing with my life is crafting and not studying any more. That will release shelf space for my ru boxes. It feels like a rubics cube in action
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh, thanks for the tour GQ!!

Large, I mean LARGE, bag of cardboard to recylcing (DH bought loads of special bulbs, of the plant type, for next Spring which had been packed in boxes, and I had 2 empty boxes to get rid of, and there were the usual leaflets etc).

I may be kondo-ing some brand new knickers back to M&S. I bought a size smaller:D but on opening the pack they seem the same as my old, larger, size :(
    I really wish shops would use the British Standard measurements for clothing sizes so we could confidently select garments knowing they would be the stated size!

Hectic Monday went well but my arms are stiff now! Lots of cleaning, some shopping, and a bit of 'hand holding' for an anxious client who was worried about a simple letter and some simple instructions. I just read through the items, explained that the client was correct in her reading of them, and told her she would be fine dealing with the matter because she was already familiar with the procedure in question. I try to offer a calm outlook :)

Tomorrow I shall be visiting my friend for coffee in the morning then I have some tidying to do at home :) I hope there may be some Stuff that I can release :D
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GQ - I'd like to put in a bid for the greengrocer's scales and some picture frames please... :)

And I don't see why you can't sell the silver plate. Lots of places do...

Actually, I know a number of people who sell their excess stock at car boots (and I was at the decorative arts fair in Battersea at the weekend - apparently a lot of the very upmarket traders there also sell at the car boot in Chiswick...) so maybe you can set up a sideline for your friend...
  • Lottie_loves
    Options
    Hi all. Busy weekend here so just finally managing to drop by and catch up with posts.
    GK that was a great visit to the cellar, really enjoyed the trip:)
    Not got a huge amount of MKing done the last few days but still managed a few niggly bits. An 'advent calendar ' of cosmetics that was a Xmas gift last year has finally been emptied (some of the creams/masks I'll never use went into the harvest collection at church for the women's refuge. Oh and some baby clothes that were worn by my youngest when he was seriously ill a few years ago have finally been kondoed. Even though I'm still hoping for another baby and have kept most things, these items held such bad memories for me (even tho they were in great condition) they had to go into the CS bag. Wasn't easy but feel better for it.
    Speaking of bags, does anyone else keep an 'ongoing' CS? Although I enjoy a big purge at times, I find it convenient to have a bag that I add things to regularly. I try to question things as I go really....
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Oh yes, I have a big blue Ike* bag in the spare room, so I can pop things in as they arise, then I decant it into carrier bags when it's full. I am constantly finding items that I can release, it gets easier and easier.

Today I finally found the energy (I wish I knew how you do it, Kittie!) to repaint a wall which is stained after I had a blocked gutter. The decorating kit was MKd a couple of years ago but nonetheless when I opened the box I found a roller that's stiff with paint, no point keeping it; and why the heck I have three paint trays, goodness knows. It really is an ongoing process.

Thanks for the virtual tour, GQ! Trying to work out if £55kg at £2/kilo is more than the original face value of the thruppenies!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I'm not sure, I was alive before decimalisation but as a young child and not handling money, so have only vague memories of the old coins, although some of them were doing duty as notational 10p and 5p coins in the seventies, if memory serves?. Think there were 240 pennies to the pre-decimal pound, yes? So 3d was 3/ 240 not 3/100? Like millions of households in the UK, we had some of them rattling around in the corners at home, a small handful. I always rather liked those bronze ha'pennies with the sailing ship on them, and the farthings with the cute wren.

Anyway, they go as scrap metal and have done for a long time. Pal is too busy doing (mostly) things far more lucrative than dragging these to a scrappie across the region (the local one won't take them). Scrappies aren't really supposed to melt the coin on the realm and some apparently won't. Others will buy brass thruppenies and pre-decimal ha'pennies and pennies (which are bronze) and melt them down. Because these metals are relatively low value, you need to have them in quantity (and robust suspension on your wagon) to drive around with them. The person who bought them will double his money, minus fuel costs, time and aggravation. Both sides are happy.

Re plated stuff, pal doesn't like trying to sell it. He sells solid silver articles and has had several experiences when Joe Public buys plated articles, clearly labelled as plated (and priced accordingly) and then brings them back complaining they're not proper silver and wanting their money back. He doesn't like being messed around like this and finds it easier to just stick with the solid, hallmarked silver and give the plate to the charity shops.

:o:p Glad you enjoyed the virtual tour of The Cellar.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you need to add the plated stuff to your next CS run then GQ! Although I'm a little worried about what he'll do with all this space once you've cleared it out for him...
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to add the plated stuff to your next CS run then GQ! Although I'm a little worried about what he'll do with all this space once you've cleared it out for him...
    :p Junk dealers are a force of nature and nature abhors a vacuum. If there was a space down there, and other junk dealers knew about it, they'd be trying to sub-let it.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2017 at 7:52AM
    Options
    GQ your friend should instititute a receipt book for his silver plated items where he writes out that he's received £X for silver plated teapot and get the customer to sign to acknowledge that he knows it's silver plate. Those little carbon copy books shouldn't cost much.

My OH wears double cuffed shirts and uses cufflinks. There's a chap that makes up cufflinks out of old coins - some have the interesting bits cut out with a small saw, others are enamelled. He has some with wrens on, some sixpences, the oldest pair he has are groats (worth 4d)! They aren't a matching pair date wise as groats aren't easy to find these days. If you find any groats down there, don't sell them for scrap.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport