Goes wrong just out of guarantee

Isn't it flamin' typical when something goes wrong just after the guarantee expires?

Today is 29th Sept and on 26th Sept 2016, I bought a freeview box and it's gone wrong today, well, in fact it started to go wrong on 27th. Anyone would think it was psychic. Grrr :mad:

Comments

• If they are anything like Dyson they would honour the warranty.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you'd bought it from Richer Sounds you'd have another 5 years cover still.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What model is the freeview box ?

Whats gone wrong with it ?

Tried a factory reset ?

Even if its out of guarantee have you spoken to the manufacturer ?

How did you pay and how much was it ?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it's a Humax, or if purchased at JL, it will have a 24m warranty. If neither, ask the manufacturer (nicely) and you may get it fixed FOC. What's to lose?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Tell them that you realise that the product is out of its warranty, but think it is reasonable to expect it to last longer than [number] years.

This worked for me with a aircon unit, little used but 3 months out of warranty. It was a Do-it-All/Argos own brand, but sales had moved from the DIY to Argos with a different supplier, so I got a full refund.

My son's Sony tv developed a problem, out of warranty and the fixed cost charged by a Sony approved repair centres was huge , but much cheaper at an independent place, so he called and was told that Sony would go halves on the repair. It was less than half Sony's own price , so they paid the whole bill.

I have contacted Humax twice for advice about a purchase, but didn't find their cs good, as they failed to reply on both occasions.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Perhaps look at your consumer rights, it may be you have a claim (although you will have to prove there was an inherent fault). As per the warranty, if you contact the company via social media (perhaps) with a light hearted post you may find it goes in your favour.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    I would definitely make enquiries with the seller and manufacturer to see if they will help.

Slightly smaller scale, but I bought hot water bottles in September and December last year off Ebay and the stoppers have broken on both already. The seller just replied:
    "Unfortunately, the first hot water bottle is out of warranty as it is now over a year since purchase and as the second is more than six months old, it is the customers responsibility to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery and not down to general wear and tear.". Charming!
  • Slightly smaller scale, but I bought hot water bottles in September and December last year off Ebay and the stoppers have broken on both already. The seller just replied:
    "Unfortunately, the first hot water bottle is out of warranty as it is now over a year since purchase and as the second is more than six months old, it is the customers responsibility to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery and not down to general wear and tear.". Charming!

Charming or not, the seller is totally correct in stating that the purchaser is responsible for proving that the fault was due to a manufacturing defect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure