Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 May 2016 at 4:22PM
    spider125 wrote: »
    My hubby served 77-77 and left aged23 ??? He is 61 now does he qualify for pension? I enquired about 4 years ago to be told no ?? Confused reading this thread ��
    My post above, copied below, sets out the various stages. Can you confirm the dates he served.
    Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service.

On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on

6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years.

Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60
    So

Prior to 6 April 1975 he had to do 22 years for any pension.

Leaving after 6 April 1975 he had to be 26 and served 5 years adult service.

Leaving after 31 March 1978 he had to have served 5 years with no age limit (so 23 is just possible from age 18)

Leaving after 6 April 1988 he had to serve 2 years with no age limit.

It seems unlikely he is entitled to a pension.
  • Good afternoon I served in the WRAF from 1974 until 1978 when I received a compassionate discharge. Having read your thread I contacted RAF pensions in Glasgow. They informed me that I would have needed to have served 5 years and attained the age of 26 on discharge. I am now confused
  • wozzer1969_2
    wozzer1969_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    I have tried on numerous occasions to get info on my army pension. I served from 1986 to 1996 as a private. Could anyone offer any help,advice
    Thanks
  • molerat
    edited 7 May 2016 at 4:24PM
    Good afternoon I served in the WRAF from 1974 until 1978 when I received a compassionate discharge. Having read your thread I contacted RAF pensions in Glasgow. They informed me that I would have needed to have served 5 years and attained the age of 26 on discharge. I am now confused
    74 - 78 is 4 years, the removal of the age limit came in after April 78, less than 5 years service in 1988. Also it is adult service from age 18.
  • molerat
    wozzer1969 wrote: »
    I have tried on numerous occasions to get info on my army pension. I served from 1986 to 1996 as a private. Could anyone offer any help,advice
    Thanks
    What do you need to know ? You should be due a pension at age 60 but will need to claim it.

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow, G2 8EX
    0800 085 3600
  • molerat
    I believe only full time reservist service adds to any entitlement, I think it unlikely he is due anything. The only way to be sure is to contact Veterans UK.
  • skintsaver_2
    skintsaver_2 Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I think the gov should change the criteria so all veterans are entiled to a pension! My dh was in the army for 4 years and left in 76 but is not eligible for anything plus all the soldiers who served before him should have some sort of pension. This day and age you can claim benefits all your life and have a full pension for doing nothing when people who risked their lives on a daily basis get no recognition financially
    :TIf your happy and you know it clap your hands :T
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 July 2016 at 9:07PM
    My husband phoned to see if he was entitled to a pension about 4 years ago,he was told he was and to get in touch when he was 60.He turned 60 in June this year,received a letter today to say he will receive
    Service pension £2,356.63 per annum
    Terminal gratuity £7,069.89
    ABig thankyou to everyone for all the help and advice they have given.:T
  • I joined the army aged 17yrs in 1976,I was in for 4yrs and left after my 3yr service was up.I enquirer last year to see when I would get my pension and was told I wasn't entitled to one.I don't understand why not as according to the literature I've read I should be.Could anybody shed any light on this for me,thanks neil
  • molerat
    edited 18 August 2016 at 5:37PM
    I joined the army aged 17yrs in 1976,I was in for 4yrs and left after my 3yr service was up.I enquirer last year to see when I would get my pension and was told I wasn't entitled to one.I don't understand why not as according to the literature I've read I should be.Could anybody shed any light on this for me,thanks neil
    Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.
    The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60.
    So your service was 1976 - 79, 3 years. The requirement to receive a deferred pension at that time was 5 years adult service.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback