Purple or Blue Debit card with Natwest Select A/C ?

Comments

• stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jen245 wrote: »
    Really?! How do I get one of those? :D

Jen dont start or ill have to kill myself :rotfl:
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spoilsport :p
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    stclair wrote: »
    There will be some changes in February anyway as the bank will start to issue contactless debit cards to selected customers on a pilot basis.

Does this include Ulsterbank or are we getting left out as usual ;)
  • RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
    RightyTightyLeftyLoosey Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 January 2012 at 12:42PM
    I've just been into my branch about the pay@pump problem and they were clueless and had never heard of this problem. They've ordered me a replacement card - my account is Select Silver. So, I'll see what arrives in the post.
  • stclair
    I've just been into my branch about the pay@pump problem and they were clueless and had never heard of this problem. They've ordered me a replacement card - my account is Select Silver. So, I'll see what arrives in the post.

My card does not work in self-service petrol pumps, why is this?

If your Visa Debit card replaces a Solo card (and begins with the numbers 4751 27 or 4751 28) this cannot be used in unattended Point of Sale terminals. This card type can only be used at a retailer or supplier of services where they can authorise the transaction with us at the time of the transaction being made and self-service terminals, such as those on trains or at petrol pumps, cannot perform such an authorisation.

http://www.natwest.com/global/visa/common-questions.ashx
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    silvercar wrote: »
    I opened the select silver and the blue card arrived. I went into branch and asked for a cheque book. They said the computer said "no" and the account was showing on the system as not credit passed. The manager was quite abrupt and suggested I write to experian to get my credit file for £2 and then go back to them with the credit record and they will consider applying for the cheque book for me.

I went home and instantly downloaded by experian credit file through the silver account benefits. It was clean, as I expected. I then phoned the silver select helpline, where they were amazed at what the branch had said and ordered me a cheque book which arrived a few days later.

I am now considering making a complaint on the grounds that:
    a) branch manager should have known that one of the silver account benefits is instant experian credit file access.
    b) he gave me wrong information and was abrupt/ dismissive.
    c) he should have been able to order me a cheque book.

So I made the complaint.

The manager then contacts me and says he is mystified that I have been sent a cheque book as his system still shows no cheque book facility and this is not changeable however long you have the account.

So I go in the branch to show him the cheque book. It turns out the account on the cheque book is for my son's account that I have 3 rd party access to :mad:
    Luckily I hadn't written a cheque.

The manager says the only way to proceed is to re-apply to open a new account as then the manager can appeal the decision to refuse a cheque book. There is no way to appeal an existing account and the status of an existing account will never be changed!!

So I decide to let him go ahead, open a new account and appeal - though he warns me that the likelihood of a successful appeal are minimal.

So he clicks a few boxes, applies to open a new account and......
    immediate account authorisation, full purple debit card, cheque book and overdraft offered.:j

He can't explain why the first account was designated no-credit, but we wonder if the girl who opened it did something incorrect.

So now it looks like I will have two NatWest current accounts, the Silver Select with no credit facilities and a proper account that I can use.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • stclair
    edited 1 February 2012 at 2:56PM
    silvercar wrote: »
    So I made the complaint.

The manager then contacts me and says he is mystified that I have been sent a cheque book as his system still shows no cheque book facility and this is not changeable however long you have the account.

So I go in the branch to show him the cheque book. It turns out the account on the cheque book is for my son's account that I have 3 rd party access to :mad:
    Luckily I hadn't written a cheque.

The manager says the only way to proceed is to re-apply to open a new account as then the manager can appeal the decision to refuse a cheque book. There is no way to appeal an existing account and the status of an existing account will never be changed!!

So I decide to let him go ahead, open a new account and appeal - though he warns me that the likelihood of a successful appeal are minimal.

So he clicks a few boxes, applies to open a new account and......
    immediate account authorisation, full purple debit card, cheque book and overdraft :joffered.

He can't explain why the first account was designated no-credit, but we wonder if the girl who opened it did something incorrect.

So now it looks like I will have two NatWest current accounts, the Silver Select with no credit facilities and a proper account that I can use.

I just pray for yours and the banks sake AVU dont close the account now or when you get the card its blue :rotfl:
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    stclair wrote: »
    I just pray for yours and the banks sake AVU dont close the account now or when you get the card its blue :rotfl:

Is that likely to happen? TBH there genuinely is no reason for me not to have a cheque book - no bad history of even a bounced cheque. I was given to understand the process is automated, is that right?

I'm not bothered about the debit card being blue or purple as I use my credit card at pay-at-pump, its the cheque book I need.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • stclair wrote: »
    My card does not work in self-service petrol pumps, why is this?

If your Visa Debit card replaces a Solo card (and begins with the numbers 4751 27 or 4751 28) this cannot be used in unattended Point of Sale terminals. This card type can only be used at a retailer or supplier of services where they can authorise the transaction with us at the time of the transaction being made and self-service terminals, such as those on trains or at petrol pumps, cannot perform such an authorisation.

http://www.natwest.com/global/visa/common-questions.ashx

Hello Stclair,

I'm also with Natwest and they are my main banking provider.
    I hold a select account with a cheque book & the blue visa debit card.
    I have recently opened another select account for budgeting purposes. How do I ensure I receive the PURPLE Visa debit card for my new account or my other select account?
    When I speak to Natwest actionline no one really understands?
    Let the sunshine.
  • stclair
    Hello Stclair,

I'm also with Natwest and they are my main banking provider.
    I hold a select account with a cheque book & the blue visa debit card.
    I have recently opened another select account for budgeting purposes. How do I ensure I receive the PURPLE Visa debit card for my new account or my other select account?
    When I speak to Natwest actionline no one really understands?

If you scored high enough at the application stage you will be sent one automatically. If you would prefer for a purple card you may be better off speaking to your branch and telling them you would like a "Service Card".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family