PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying and want to place a condition for seller

Options
I am in process of buying a property. Contracts have not yet exchanged and completion has not yet commenced. Deposit has been paid to the solicitor but we are currently completing one condition set by the lender.

I have been busy undertaking 2 surveys (arboricultural and structural surveys) on the property in relation to a tree nearby the property. I also have a quote for the felling of the tree in question. All is going fine and there is no cause for concern from the surveys except the tree is decaying and needs to come down. Mortgage condition is that the tree needs to come down within 3 months of completion.

My question here is that should I go to my solicitors and request that the seller reimburses for the costs of the surveys and tree felling? The seller has been unusually quiet during this whole period and I suspect is aware of the historic situation of this tree.

As we haven't exchanged contracts yet maybe this is the time to request this? The total cost is actually only just over £1k. And the seller stands to make around £80k in profit from this sale.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• parking_question_chap
    Options
    Its a condition of your lender, why should the seller foot the bill?

The profit they stand to make is neither here nor there.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    What communication would you like?

Unless you suggest a reduction in the price of the purchase why would they even think you'd want one? They aren't mind readers.

I wouldn't even mention the profit that they are 'making' - that truly isn't any of your business
  • The_Real_Cheddar_Bob
    Options
    risky move this, but if you want to bully them into parting with £1000, wait until just before the point of no return and renegotiate the price.

you may lose the property doing this
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mgxeab wrote: »

As we haven't exchanged contracts yet maybe this is the time to request this? The total cost is actually only just over £1k. And the seller stands to make around £80k in profit from this sale.

Well, demand £20k off the price then, £80k is outrageous, they should be happy with £60k. Or perhaps a 50/50 split would be fairer?

And when you come to sell, no doubt you'll be happy to pony up any old amounts your buyers can think of because of the "profit" you've made (never mind the fact that if you are buying a more expensive house, then thats gone up in proportion more than the £80k so you need every penny of it.)
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    The Vendor may be aware of the tree issue they may not, this is what surveys are for as you as a seller are fully informed prior to sale as to conditions of grounds and buildings, As a vendor surely the results of the surveys should be noted and the vendor should be open to negotiating those results with the buyer.

Looking at it from a Vendors point of view if I am to make 80k on this sale, 1k isn't going to break the bank to get a decayed tree felled as part of a sale.

I think it would be reasonable to negotiate this tree felling in a reasonable way even meeting costs of 50/50 if the vendor don't want to fit the bill.
    At the end of the day, If you pull out over a tree then the next person could potentially do the same if the tree comes up in other surveys, and likewise if the vendor refuses sale due to your request for a full or partial cost of tree felling the vendor could be in this situation with another buyer in future and prolong a sale.

All you can do is ask the question to your solicitor to ask theirs "Can they organise the tree to be felled and at their cost prior to or part of the sale due to the decay picked up on the survey yes or no".
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Has anyone checked to see if this tree has a preservation order on it?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mgxeab wrote: »

I have been busy undertaking 2 surveys (arboricultural and structural surveys) on the property
    My question here is that should I go to my solicitors and request that the seller reimburses for the costs of the surveys and tree felling?

And the seller stands to make around £80k in profit from this sale.

Thanks in advance

The surveys are yours, not theirs, and they've revealed a small issue which I'd not trouble the seller over myself, but others might negotiate on the felling, which seems remarkably cheap. It's all small stuff, though.

Is there really nothing else of concern? If not, I'd consider to have done well.

I don't see how you can estimate the vendor's profit, which isn't the same thing as the last seliing price and the price now, which is house price inflation. Presumably, if the seller is buying again, they'll be affected by that the same as you.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you always this rude? this outburst is totally uncalled for IMHO.
    No. Read my post history. It's very rare.

But occassionally someone asks a question that seems so obvious, or so petty, or so money-grubbing, or insensitive, or mean, or .... whatever, that my advice is given somewhat abruptly.

(not saying your question was all the above!)
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    No. Read my post history. It's very rare.

But occassionally someone asks a question that seems so obvious, or so petty, or so money-grubbing, or insensitive, or mean, or .... whatever, that my advice is given somewhat abruptly.

(not saying your question was all the above!)
    As you know buying a home is stressful in its own right, I think the op is being reasonable, especially if the tree is decayed to the point of potential danger of collapse the mortgage co seems to think its a priority. I don't think the quote they have been given is too high either to negotiate with the seller either regardless of what amount of profit they are to gain from the sale, People negotiate over leaning walls that are in danger of collapse all the time as part of the sale, I see a tree as no different tbh.

As a seasoned member of MSE aren't we supposed to lead by example and not fly off the deep end over what I would call a reasonable question the op asked.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    As you know buying a home is stressful in its own right, I think the op is being reasonable, especially if the tree is decayed to the point of potential danger of collapse the mortgage co seems to think its a priority. I don't think the quote they have been given is too high either to negotiate with the seller

I dont really understand what its got to do with the seller.

The sooner they can get moved in the sooner they can chop it down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure