Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Comments

• I've been paying of big chunks here and there to various cards etc. It does feel great doesnt it! When I look at how much I pay out each month I hope I feel the same amount of thrill when I see so much �� Spare cash sitting in my account once they are clear!!! Keep up the good work and please keep posting x x
  • fay66
    fay66 Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    whoo good times , hope mine follow this time next year
    Debt £10k , HMRC £3K old debt £4k Jan 2021
    Had biatric surgery was 135k 2016 now 97kilo 22.1.20 up to 106 kilo 12.1.21
    Travel plans New York 2021 New year cancelled due to covid
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 8:03PM
    I'm back after a couple of days away with work. I had a shock when I answered the phone today, looked up from the laptop and realised it was snowing! We are on top of a hill and have had a good dusting :snow_gri

It wasn't as bad as the shock I had this morning when I checked the internet banking and I hadn't been paid my bonus :eek: An oversight by the finance team and it has been paid in this afternoon. Phew!

To Do List

[STRIKE]Clear Arg05 BNPL [/STRIKE]:D Done:D
    Balance CC and allocate to budgets
    Check budget and amount to debt when both paid (DH Tue, Me Thurs)
    [STRIKE]Request settlement figure for parental loan to repay next week, half cash and half BT[/STRIKE]:D Done:D
    [STRIKE]Meal plan for December (7 evening meals out/away, 1 Christmas dinner and 1 takeaway at friends on NYE I don't have to think about)[/STRIKE] Done
    Plan to get most from 2xlunch allowance and 1 dinner allowance this week (Christmas food) Quiche x 2 and Christmas cake slices bought so far
    [STRIKE]Set December food budget[/STRIKE]Done but it might be a tad low
    [STRIKE]Mr T order[/STRIKE] Done
    Hoover everywhere
    Dust everywhere
    Quick once over in bathroom and clean loo
    Mop kitchen floor
    Washing and ironing
    Change bedding (weekend)
    Prep 2 walls in bedroom
    [STRIKE]Attempt to apply fake tan[/STRIKE] None in house, will have to buy a pair of tights instead!Take bulbs back
    Buy sealed tins
    Do something nice (and free or cheap) as a family at the weekend[/QUOTE]

DS school don't provide nativity costumes like his old school so I will have to buy one! His old school provided them all. I wonder what happened to all the costumes the parents bought the year before?

I haven't seen my Dad for a couple of years as he lives abroad but he is back in the UK early next year and coming to stay :T It will be the first time they have ever stayed over with u, probably because we have never had the space to put them up before.

Tonight I am going to faff about with the budget and see how much we can clear off the parental loan from our bonuses and how much we need to BT. I also need to apply some kind of colour to my legs for a Christmas do tomorrow!

ETA: Scrap the fake tan application! I must have chucked it all away as I cant find any! Will have to change my planned shoes and buy a pair of tights instead.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    The settlement figure for the parental loan is £2608.48.

After reviewing the budget, what we still need to cover for Christmas, the money for the decorator and IF we can stick to our planned spending we should have just under £1500 left over.

However, a part of the dishwasher has broken off and I cannot seem to find a replacement part on line. I will ask DH to look at this on Saturday and see if he can find one. I can not manage without a dishwasher so I will hold back some of the money available just in case it needs replacing.

I will suggest to DH that we pay £1108.48 to the loan and BT the rest as planned. I was expecting to need to BT £2000 so this is an improvement. This will leave us money for the dishwasher and if not needed it will start our emergency fund.

I was not going to have an emergency fund but as I intend to chop up the CCs in the NY I will aim to build up to £500 asap and £1000 by the EOY.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I can not manage without a dishwasher Posted by XSpender

Of course you can. You just need an A4 bit of paper with 'washing up rota' written on it.

I've never had a dishwasher and wouldn't have one for free!
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    I'm with you XSpender, I'd be utterly lost without my dishwasher - it would cause far too many arguments in our household and honestly I detest washing up :o

Well done on the figures though, all looking good! :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • XSpender
    Of course you can. You just need an A4 bit of paper with 'washing up rota' written on it.

I've never had a dishwasher and wouldn't have one for free!

Unfortunately the rota would have 'Me' on it everyday or 'wait for XSpender to come back' when I am away with work :rotfl:
    kirtsypoos wrote: »
    I'm with you XSpender, I'd be utterly lost without my dishwasher - it would cause far too many arguments in our household and honestly I detest washing up :o

Well done on the figures though, all looking good! :)

Washing up is my least favourite job too, DS is too little and DH doesn't know where the sink is! I even had a mini dishwasher when I lived on my own :eek::o
  • I love my dishwasher too and the rota would always have my name on it too :(. I used to spend an hour a day washing dishes with five of us in the house, until my parents bought me one for Christmas. Best Christmas present EVER :D

You're doing well with your debt slaying.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • XSpender
    To Do List

Balance CC and allocate to budgets
    Check budget and amount to debt when both paid (DH Tue, Me Thurs)
    [STRIKE]Request settlement figure for parental loan to repay next week, half cash and half BT[/STRIKE]:D Done:D
    [STRIKE]Meal plan for December (7 evening meals out/away, 1 Christmas dinner and 1 takeaway at friends on NYE I don't have to think about)[/STRIKE] Done
    Plan to get most from 2xlunch allowance and 1 dinner allowance this week (Christmas food) Quiche x 2 and Christmas cake slices bought so far
    Hoover everywhere Downstairs done
    Dust everywhere Downstairs done
    Mop kitchen floor
    Washing and ironing DH has done a couple of loads so far
    Change bedding (weekend)
    Prep 2 walls in bedroom
    [STRIKE]Attempt to apply fake tan[/STRIKE] None in house, will have to buy a pair of tights instead!Take bulbs back
    Buy sealed tins
    Do something nice (and free or cheap) as a family at the weekend[/QUOTE] Went to the forest by a Christmas was nice but not cheap!
    I love my dishwasher too and the rota would always have my name on it too :(. I used to spend an hour a day washing dishes with five of us in the house, until my parents bought me one for Christmas. Best Christmas present EVER :D

You're doing well with your debt slaying.

What a great Christmas present!

First Christmas night out last night and spent £20 on 2 drinks:eek:

We have gone for a real tree again, hoping it lasts longer than last years that was dead and stinky within a week :( We bought it from the forestry commission this time. Tree has been decorated and house decoration almost complete but have left 1 of our big decorations in the loft. We have had it all the time DH and I have been together so it is a Christmas essential. I will have to go back into the loft and find it. We would really like some outdoor lights this year too.

DH has cleaned the utility room and done some washing. :A Unfortunately he has put DS letter to Santa somewhere when tidying up and I cant find it for DS to put on the tree! I still have DS wooden advent calendar to fill with some little chocolates and I am going to put in some activities and Christmassy things like put on DS Christmas duvet cover, decorate gingerbread cookies and make cards for the grandparents. I am a bit behind with this but he does have a shop bought calendar too.

DS training has been cancelled due to poor pitch conditions do we have a free morning tomorrow, bliss :) We will finish putting up the Christmas decorations, fix a radiator to the wall and get ready for a very busy week next week.
  • XSpender
    To Do List

Balance CC and allocate to budgets - Made a start
    [STRIKE]Check budget and amount to debt when both paid (DH Tue, Me Thurs)[/STRIKE] Done
    Hoover everywhere Downstairs done
    Dust everywhere Downstairs done
    Mop kitchen floor
    Washing and ironing DH has done a couple of loads so far
    Change bedding (weekend)
    Prep 2 walls in bedroom- DFIL will do some of this next week
    Buy sealed tins
    [STRIKE]Do something nice (and free or cheap) as a family at the weekend[/STRIKE]Went to the forest to buy a Christmas tree was nice but not cheap!, watched The Grinch snuggled up on the sofa and DS had his first try of Toblerone

A bit embarrassing that all the jobs not done involve house work :o

We bought the outside lights I wanted for Christmas and ended up in Mr T again :o Apart from that we have had a good walk with the dog and DH has done all the washing and some ironing.:T

I am feeling a bit under the weather, not helped by DS ending up in our bed last night so I have had 2 poor nights sleep, and have another cold sore coming up :(

I have 3 long and tough days away with work next week so wont be getting much done. I will organise the BT so that I can pay off parental loan at the end of the week as I will have to go into the branch to take out the cash. I still have nearly £40 of coins to pay in too.

I have had the monthly interest paid on my bank account and was going to TT that and round down the account but I don't know where to send it. Do I add it to the emergency fund, send it to the card I want to target first or stick it in a holding pot on YNAB until I have a decent amount saved off to pay across? I haven't done TTs for sometime as YNAB is a zero based budget system so every £ is allocated somewhere and there is no surplus.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family