Find My Past automatic subscription renewal scam

Hi, I purchased one months subscription for FMP, , I only wanted one months worth as to find my fathers military POW records, the record(transcript) I found on the paid site was no more than the records that were available for free on it I am also concerned I have to pay at all to find my late fathers military service records given he gave his youth and health for this country as a WW2 POW. Anyway, they have now already automatically renewed my subscription, this i believe in in the contract, but there was no renewal email, I don't like these sites, the govt sold our records to them, but even on those terms this auto renewal is dubious, thoughts, responses?

Comments

• NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, I purchased one months subscription for FMP, , I only wanted one months worth as to find my fathers military POW records, the record(transcript) I found on the paid site was no more than the records that were available for free on it I am also concerned I have to pay at all to find my late fathers military service records given he gave his youth and health for this country as a WW2 POW. Anyway, they have now already automatically renewed my subscription, this i believe in in the contract, but there was no renewal email, I don't like these sites, the govt sold our records to them, but even on those terms this auto renewal is dubious, thoughts, responses?

It appears from FMP T&C's that auto renewal is easy to cancel:-

You may elect not to renew a Subscription and can turn off the automatic renewal at any time (so long as this is no later than two days before the current Subscription is due to expire), through the "My Account" page on the Site and un-ticking the "Auto-renew my Subscription" box. Alternatively you can email support@findmypast.co.uk or call Customer Support on +44(0)20 3326 6300 Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm. If you do not turn off automatic renewal or cancel your Subscription in accordance with the above, we will automatically renew your Subscription and will take payment before your current Subscription ends.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not a scam, you login and choose to cancel simples.
  • they have now already automatically renewed my subscription, this i believe in in the contract, but there was no renewal email,

How can it be a scam if the terms of the auto-renewal are written into the contract and easily readable before agreeing to proceed?

If after taking out the subscription you wish to cancel the renewal, you can either telephone customer services, send then an e-mail or simply untick the autorenewal box in your account.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    You can apply directly to the MOD for your/ a deceased relative's war records. However it can take a few months and it costs more than a month's subscription to Find My Past.

On that basis it is not a scam (or a rip off, the two claims normally go together).
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,381 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't like these sites, the govt sold our records to them

The government haven't sold the records to anyone .... FMP have bought a licence to include them in their online packages.

The records are still available, usually for free and for anyone to look at, in The National Archives or other archives around the country.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Personally I love these sites and think they are good value for money as long as you keep your wits about you and remember to cancel if you no longer want to use them.

I started doing my family history years ago before the internet really got going. It was far more expensive to travel into London or wherever the records were kept. Sites like Find my Past mean that I can search out information in the comfort of my own home for a fraction of the cost of going to the record office or Metropolitan archives.

Not a scam or rip off as far as I'm concerned.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Also in reply to something the op said. My great grandfather died right at the end of the 1st World War and apart from the ending of a young life, it had serious implications for my grandmother for the rest of her life. I don't feel at all upset that I have to pay for information about his military career. The government or military has no obligation to satisfy my curiosity for free and I'm happy to help fund the preservation and digitising of such records.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

What did they say when you called them?

These type of posts annoy me. I do family history as a hobby and both Find My Past and Ancestry are totally upfront about their auto renew. In fact, you can change your auto renew settings if you log into your account area.

OP, give them a call, don;t be rude, admit you're a doofus and ask them if they'll refund your mistake.

Then come back here and retract.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Subterfuge. The site gives them impression that you can sign up for only a month. Upon sign up you do indeed agree to the terms & cons but these are not presented for your perusal before accepting. One must look for them.
    An honest merchant would present them upfront upon signing. An honest merchant would also send out an email reminder towards the end of the subscription period as a reminder.
    Their business practice is deceitful and structured on fleecing rather than providing good value so that customers willing & consentingly wish to be repeat customers.
    Findmypast - not recommended!
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Subterfuge. The site gives them impression that you can sign up for only a month. Upon sign up you do indeed agree to the terms & cons but these are not presented for your perusal before accepting. One must look for them.
    An honest merchant would present them upfront upon signing. An honest merchant would also send out an email reminder towards the end of the subscription period as a reminder.
    Their business practice is deceitful and structured on fleecing rather than providing good value so that customers willing & consentingly wish to be repeat customers.
    Findmypast - not recommended!

You are a special one.
    If you do not cancel your Trial prior to the expiry of the Trial Period you shall automatically be charged for the Subscription selected on registration for the Trial and we will take payment accordingly. You may, at any time during the Trial Period. cancel the Trial by signing in to your account online and un-ticking the "Auto-renew my subscription" box or by emailing support@findmypast.co.uk or call Customer Support on +44(0) 20 3326 6300 Monday - Friday 9am - 5.30pm to request cancellation.

That took one click from the home page and less than 10 seconds to find.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure