PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Not my garage

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I finally get informed the garage was not mine as it was released from the lease years ago. [/FONT]

Who informed you?
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP said the garage wasn't in the property advert.
    No garage mentioned.

It was only in the late stages that the solicitor said there appeared to be a garage too.
    OP didn't buy it for the garage - and it wasn't priced with a garage.

I'd just take the £100 ....

£100 is their first offer, you could go for £200 or more if you want to push it. It should really have been confirmed, if it was different from what was thought.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    Options
    What does the lease you have say and your particulars?

Have you been provided with the before or after version throughout your purchase process.
  • TuppenceWorth
    Options
    Is it a brick garage that can house a car or some crumbly wooden structure?

It doesn't matter what the original intention was. You exchanged on the basis of there being a flat with "garage".
    I believe that the solicitor should be held accountable if they were negligent. For what sum? I've no idea...
  • HampshireH
    Options
    Is it a brick garage that can house a car or some crumbly wooden structure?

It doesn't matter what the original intention was. You exchanged on the basis of there being a flat with "garage".
    I believe that the solicitor should be held accountable if they were negligent. For what sum? I've no idea...

Surely its the buyers responsibility to check the paperwork. My solicitor made it very clear when we were buying that we were to chexk the LR information to ensure it was correct as they had never visited the property.

The buyer has to take some responsibility in not querying the paperwork against what ths solocotor said. Unless the paperwork is the original with it all included
  • HampshireH
    Options
    That said I don't dispute the solicitor was inaccurate and should have provided accurate information
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HampshireH wrote: »
    That said I don't dispute the solicitor was inaccurate and should have provided accurate information

Then surely the buyer should have querying the matter at the time that the solicitor mentioned it. Rather late after buying the property to then ask where the garage was. Solicitors don't personally visit properties. Merely acting on the paper that's in front of them.
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    originally I didn’t know about the garage as it was never on the brochure and was happy to buy before I was informed of the garage. I guess you could say it was a bonus but over the weeks I expected to have a garage and made plans for it.

What did the vendor tell you when you initially viewed the property? Did they even mention it?

Sounds to me like you were buying a property advertised without a garage and you were not expecting to have one. Now you have been told that there 'was' a garage, but it could have been sold prior as a transfer of part (as mentioned above in my earlier post). In this instance, the title register would have to be updated to describe the land and property but without any mention of a garage.

The original lease may describe garages and include a plan with the garage marked. How old is the lease? Are there any other newer documents relating to the removal of the garage? Your solicitor can obtain documents from Land Registry which may throw light on this, but if you did not notice that the title plan and lease plan were different and did not raise this as a query, I am not surprised it had been missed. Your solicitor doesn't visit the property and relies on you to advise him of any discrepancies between the documents you receive during the course of the transaction.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tiglet2 wrote: »
    originally I didn’t know about the garage as it was never on the brochure and was happy to buy before I was informed of the garage. I guess you could say it was a bonus but over the weeks I expected to have a garage and made plans for it.

What did the vendor tell you when you initially viewed the property? Did they even mention it?

Sounds to me like you were buying a property advertised without a garage and you were not expecting to have one. Now you have been told that there 'was' a garage, but it could have been sold prior as a transfer of part (as mentioned above in my earlier post). In this instance, the title register would have to be updated to describe the land and property but without any mention of a garage.

The original lease may describe garages and include a plan with the garage marked. How old is the lease? Are there any other newer documents relating to the removal of the garage? Your solicitor can obtain documents from Land Registry which may throw light on this, but if you did not notice that the title plan and lease plan were different and did not raise this as a query, I am not surprised it had been missed. Your solicitor doesn't visit the property and relies on you to advise him of any discrepancies between the documents you receive during the course of the transaction.

How would visiting the property have enabled the OP to know that the lease document he was provided stating he would own a garage, was inaccurate/out of date. It's not that the garage doesn't exist, it's that someone else owns it.
    As for the OP checking if leases are up to date, haven't been superceeded etc what's the solicitor for then?
    And all this happened befure he exchanged so whose to say the final price he agreed to pay wasn't influenced by knowledge it contained a garage he could rent out
  • HampshireH
    Options
    Then surely the buyer should have querying the matter at the time that the solicitor mentioned it. Rather late after buying the property to then ask where the garage was. Solicitors don't personally visit properties. Merely acting on the paper that's in front of them.

Yes I said that in the post before the one you quoted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure