Costco fuel

alan17
alan17 Posts: 41 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Does anyone use Costco fuel?

Some friends have been using it and if what they say is true it’s near 20p cheaper than my v power diesel. (I have to use v power since the emissions remap or I get dpf regens constantly)

Is the fuel as cheap as people say? it’s not on petrol prices so I can’t do a cost comparison. Nearest is a 25 minute drive away.

Comments

• My local costco is always around 15 to 20p cheaper than anywhere else (apart from asda..but had issues with supermarket fuel in the past) I have a petrol MPV and noticed more milage per trip with costco fuel than standard garage (shell/esso etc) fuel MPG
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    alan17 wrote: »
    Does anyone use Costco fuel?

Some friends have been using it and if what they say is true it’s near 20p cheaper than my v power diesel. (I have to use v power since the emissions remap or I get dpf regens constantly)

Is the fuel as cheap as people say? it’s not on petrol prices so I can’t do a cost comparison. Nearest is a 25 minute drive away.

If you "need" v power diesel then the cost of the CostCo fuel is irrespective.

The issue is that V Power diesel is expensive, not that Costco fuel is massively cheaper.

For info though, V Power is a series of additives in the standard diesel, for which you are paying a significant premium. You could consider a Millers diesel addive which should do the same job and costs a couple of pence per litre.

Also, if you're needing regens so much on regular fuel then you've got an issue somewhere....
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Like V-power, Costco have an additive pack. Here are the Costco claims ...

http://www.costcoconnection.co.uk/connectionuk/20160910?pg=28#pg28

... only you can decide whether its as good as V-power.

I don't have a costco fuel station near me, but when I've used their diesel its worked well for me.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you need to be a Costco member to use their petrol stations?
  • lockedout69
    lockedout69 Posts: 26 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Do you need to be a Costco member to use their petrol stations?

yes you do need membership
  • King_Nothing
    King_Nothing Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I use their 99RON petrol, usually around the same price as regular shell petrol so saves me quite a bit over V-Power. My local one only does regular diesel though.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My local one only does regular diesel though.

You sure, the 4 sites I've visited for fuel all were premium diesel.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,012 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My nearest Costco (Glasgow) only has the premium diesel alongside the petrol. The 'attendant' chap there told me it's much better than supermarket diesel. I can't tell, but the price is good.

There's a huge Tesco Extra right across the road from the Costco so competition is working.
  • alan17
    alan17 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    motorguy wrote: »
    If you "need" v power diesel then the cost of the CostCo fuel is irrespective.

The issue is that V Power diesel is expensive, not that Costco fuel is massively cheaper.

For info though, V Power is a series of additives in the standard diesel, for which you are paying a significant premium. You could consider a Millers diesel addive which should do the same job and costs a couple of pence per litre.

Also, if you're needing regens so much on regular fuel then you've got an issue somewhere....

I agree on the car having a issue, it was fine until the VW emissions remap funny enough! They say it’s fine though.

Will check out the millers thanks!

Thanks for the responses everyone, we are getting a new membership anyway near Xmas. So I may try their performance diesel (my local does stock this) and see how it is on that.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    alan17 wrote: »
    I have to use v power since the emissions remap or I get dpf regens constantly

No, you get DPF regens because your car is knackered. Remaps such as ones from Bluefin etc have a nasty tendency to tip a borderline car over the edge. Normally you'd have noticed on a non-DPF car with the amount of black crap coming out the back but as you have a DPF that doesn't happen, you get a blocked DPF instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure