MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year

Options

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Although I got my account up and running today and the switch started I am not going to add the blue rewards until 1st of June because I don't think there is anyway I am going to be able to get two direct debits up and running and paid out this month
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Although I got my account up and running today and the switch started I am not going to add the blue rewards until 1st of June because I don't think there is anyway I am going to be able to get two direct debits up and running and paid out this month
    This is still something I'm looking in to... as explained in a post yesterday.

If you don't add blue rewards until 1st of June then your first fee shouldn't be taken until the second working day of July. Rewards are only paid (on the second working day) if a fee has been paid in the "previous calendar month".

This would mean the first reward payment being made on the second working day of August in relation to the DD's and fee paid during July. You'd get nothing for the month of June because a fee hadn't been paid in that month.

If that interpretation of the T&C's is correct then it means having to set up Blue Rewards before the end of May in order to be charged a fee in June and for the June direct debits to generate a reward payment in July.

Unfortunately unless anyone can get a definitive answer before then, we are only going to know for sure if people setting up this month fail to get a payment made to them on the second working day of June.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • 18cc
    Options
    Well the way I understood it is that if I set up my blue rewards on the 1st of June and pay two direct debits in June then in July I will get a £3 fee and also the rewards money

call me naive but that is the way I read it

By the way there was about a million page thread on the NatWest terms and conditions with their switch offer and it looks like the Barclays one is going the same way why can't the banks be a little bit clearer about what their terms conditions are!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Well the way I understood it is that if I set up my blue rewards on the 1st of June and pay two direct debits in June then in July I will get a £3 fee and also the rewards money

call me naive but that is the way I read it
    I thought the same as you. I even got as far as trying to arrange the switch for 1 June, but the Barclays system doesn't allow that.

Then I got home and read this in the T&C's:-
    Your monthly fee will be taken from your nominated account on the 2nd working day of each month. The first monthly fee will be taken in the month after you join Barclays Blue Rewards.
    That seems fairly clear, and taken at face value means there is no fee taken in the first calendar month you are a member.

Instinctively I think the reward would be paid in the second month, but that doesn't seem to be supported by the wording of the T&C's.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • moneysavinggirl40
    Options
    So I have logged on to Barclays online banking but this is the message i get when i try to transfer money, when i click on Transfer :"9802 - Sorry - you do not have any accounts from which we can set up a payment." I received my pin yesterday and the account does exist as I have a card too. Anyone else face this when thy joined?
  • youngretired
    youngretired Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When I opened mine back in September 2016 I had 2 DD paid out and the £800 paid in and they gave me the Reward in October, so I don't think the fee matters when the account is recently opened as there is no way for you to pay the fee in the previous month. Though this might have all changed by now as it was nearly 2 years ago.
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    This is still something I'm looking in to... as explained in a post yesterday.

If that interpretation of the T&C's is correct then it means having to set up Blue Rewards before the end of May in order to be charged a fee in June and for the June direct debits to generate a reward payment in July.

yep that's how I read it too. I think it evens out as it says elsewhere in the t & c that if you leave Blue Rewards the £3 fee for the month you leave is refunded.

So say you join in May and leave in September: You start off £3 down on 2 June, then £8 up on 2 July (£14 reward for June dds less the second £3 fee), then £19 up on 2 August (for July dds and third £3 fee), then £30 up on 2 September (for August dds and fourth £3 fee), finally £33 up when you leave sometime in September and the fourth £3 fee is refunded - which is what it should be as you have been a member and paid dds for 3 complete months (June, July, August)
  • Bobblehat
    Bobblehat Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Best Buy Bear
    Options
    My experience with the Double Blue rewards application ..... I know it's not brief, but hope it helps someone on here!

As a brand new customer to Barclays I tried to apply online for the double rewards switch offer on the 4th May. All went well up to the point of the application being accepted and a sort code and account number being issued and confirmed by email. It took me through to the SWITCH NOW button ..... and then it failed with an error code. Bah!

I phoned the help line who told me to wait for the on-line passcode to arrive by post and everything would be sorted out then. OK! I’ll wait!

Tue/Wed, Debit card arrived, pin arrived and yesterday the on-line passcode arrived, so I access the account. As expected, the account showed £0 balance and no transactions ..... so where was the switch button? Nowhere to be seen! Back on the phone to the helpline.

Well, that was an experience I wouldn’t wish on any of you! I was given the run-around for nearly an hour with absolutely no useful information about how to do the switch being forthcoming. In fact I was given some obviously very bad information. I was first told to switch on Blue rewards first as I was on-line and able to do it, then informed that as an existing customer I would be unable to switch or have access to the Double Rewards! All completely wrong.

When I inquired whether I would be charged £3 for rewards in June that I could not fulfil the conditions for, as I had no way of switching ... the answer was ..... Yes! At that point (and for sometime before!) the conversation was going around in circles and my free phone call was approaching the one hour limit, I politely informed the operator that I was going to end the call and make a complaint tomorrow.

Ok ... on to today .... well I must have got the Good Cop to yesterday’s Bad Cop! He politely listened to me relate the tale so far .... said he had had several similar calls and would like to make me an offer of a simple solution to the problem. OK by me!

He said, if he arranged to have £7 x 12 = £84 paid upfront into my account plus an extra £3 refund in advance for the June fee ..... all done today, would I accept just signing back in to normal single rewards? Before I could say Yes! ... he then offered me an extra £25 for the inconvenience of the experience, no prompting needed! Sounded good to me .... except, I realised we were no nearer a solution to the switch. He put me on hold for 2 minutes and came back to say, unfortunately, the only way forward was a Branch Visit.

I was a little disappointed and cheekily said that they were making me work hard for my £25 compensation for nearly 2 hours total on the phone and now a Branch Visit! We came to an agreement that £40 would be a more suitable figure! The appointment was booked and £127 appeared in my account 5 minutes later.

After a disappointing start, a fair result I think! Not looking forward to the Branch Visit though ..... just seems like another potential hurdle to fall at!

Bet someone suggests I take the money and run :)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well, this thread hasn't (yet) reached Natwest/Clydesdale proportion! Hopefully it won't come to that!!!

Switch letter arrived- but date will have to be later since I can not go into branch until a week later than first agreed.
    It already seems 3 days later than first stated.

However DD for Barclaycard confirmed.
    Online passcode arrived
    Went to bank machine & changed debit card number
    Logged onto online banking
    Fed the account from Natwest. Planning to juggle money to and fro to make the £800 feed this month
    If I don't get the blue rewards this month I will have some reason to question it!
    I only applied on May 7th so I reckon that is very reasonable compared with some past experiences.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • 18cc
    Options
    I think that if you apply online as a new customer and for whatever reason your application is not accepted there and then and you don't get a chance to go to the switching webpage and they ask you to take two forms of ID into a branch then that means you will also have to go to the branch to switch

I have confirm this with the barclays switching team and also my own experience
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure