Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lez5075
    • By lez5075 2nd Feb 12, 4:09 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 6Thanks
    lez5075
    Beware - Simply Electronics Scam? advice plz
    • 2nd Feb 12, 4:09 PM
    Beware - Simply Electronics Scam? advice plz 2nd Feb 12 at 4:09 PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I placed an order through a company called Simply Electronics for a phone. I have not heard back from the company neither by phone or email. On the phone I waited for 40 mins only to be cut off at the end. I have did a quick google search on the company and it appears they are a scam company? I'm worried about getting my money back now as i wante to cancel the order but not hearing back from them.

I paid via hsbc debit card last Sunday online order. I spoke to HSBC they said they cant help as the money has gone through. What are my options now in getting the money back?
    Last edited by lez5075; 02-02-2012 at 8:17 PM.
Page 4
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Jul 16, 8:38 PM
    • 10,290 Posts
    • 11,567 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I have taken a time-dated screenshot and reported them to Trading Standards
    They are crooks
    Originally posted by Don Keiller

There is nothing that Trading Standards can or will do as Simply Electronics is a Hong Kong based business with no UK base of operations.
    Your best bet would be to contact your debit card provider (assuming that you paid this way) and request a chargeback or if a credit card was used, either a chargeback or a "section 75" claim.
    If it was a paypal payment, open a goods not received dispute.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Jul 16, 8:50 PM
    • 10,695 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I've bought plenty of things from the Far East, but I would never trade directly with a company, when the same goods are available through eBay or AliExpress, with their built-in protection from fraud and defects.

AliExpress, particularly, is excellent in terms of protections as your money is held by them (a process called Escrow) until your purchase has arrived and you are satisfied that it is complete and as described. You then approve the release of funds to the seller. This really is the best way to trade with shipping that takes 2-4 weeks.

I appreciate that the Website is somewhat deceptive, and it might be worth someone who has been scammed reporting this to the Advertising Standards Authority though I am not sure what authority they have over sites hosted overseas.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Jimgl09
    • By Jimgl09 10th Jul 16, 10:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimgl09
    Jimgl09
    This company is positioned in such a way as to limit action of redress.

I am wondering whether anyone who has had a problem with Simply Electronics were to write to their and other credit card/ debit card companies advising them of their own particular difficulties it would put Simply Electronics on the radar for them as well.

I am sure that if the debit and credit card companies were alerted they would chose to avoid dealing with this company as well.

I am sending an advisory note to all my bank contacts and PayPal on a rolling basis starting from tomorrow .

Obviously it's important to be specific and accurate so that it's not actionable but you could always draw their attention to these and other forums.

Whilst I am not a lawyer...is there a problem with this format of action?
    • benyboyayme
    • By benyboyayme 13th Jul 16, 7:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    benyboyayme
    Cancelled order 7 weeks ago, still waiting for a refund - DON"T GIVE THEM ANY CASH
    I came across Simply Electronics through Google shopping - which I assumed meant that they had been vetted. I bought an Ipad pro and made a payment through skrill. After 2 days my money had been debited but the order was still showing as processing payment and, as I was going away for a few weeks, I feared that it would not be delivered in time. I therefore cancelled it using their website email form. It took 48 hrs and a few reminders before they acknowledged the cancellation. This was 7 weeks ago. I have emailed them weekly and they keep saying:

My sincere apologies for the delay in processing your refund. I know this has caused you much inconvenience and I sincerely apologize for this delay.

Your refund is on priority status and has been escalated to our accounts team who are working with our payment partners to expedite your refund. Again, I apologize for the amount of time this is taking and pull no punches for the delay.

I am hopeful that your refund will be initiated in the coming days ahead (if not sooner). A refund confirmation email can be expected upon completion.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help,

I keep getting the same email response every week and still no Refund. I will report them to Google, Skrill and all European consumer protection authorities and do my best to close them down. I will only stop if they refund me. Please do the same!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 16, 9:23 PM
    • 10,695 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Whilst I am not a lawyer...is there a problem with this format of action?
    Originally posted by Jimgl09
    The only issue would be if you were fabricating your reports to damage their reputation unjustly (which would be defamation). As long as what you are reporting to regulators is true, and ideally backed with evidence, there is no issue.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-07-2016 at 9:26 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Timalay
    • By Timalay 14th Jul 16, 10:19 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Timalay
    I came across Simply Electronics through Google shopping - which I assumed meant that they had been vetted. I bought an Ipad pro and made a payment through skrill. After 2 days my money had been debited but the order was still showing as processing payment and, as I was going away for a few weeks, I feared that it would not be delivered in time. I therefore cancelled it using their website email form. It took 48 hrs and a few reminders before they acknowledged the cancellation. This was 7 weeks ago. I have emailed them weekly and they keep saying:

My sincere apologies for the delay in processing your refund. I know this has caused you much inconvenience and I sincerely apologize for this delay.

Your refund is on priority status and has been escalated to our accounts team who are working with our payment partners to expedite your refund. Again, I apologize for the amount of time this is taking and pull no punches for the delay.

I am hopeful that your refund will be initiated in the coming days ahead (if not sooner). A refund confirmation email can be expected upon completion.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help,

I keep getting the same email response every week and still no Refund. I will report them to Google, Skrill and all European consumer protection authorities and do my best to close them down. I will only stop if they refund me. Please do the same!
    Originally posted by benyboyayme
    There is nothing any European consumer protection authorities can do, as they are based in Hong Kong.
    • unknownwoman2016
    • By unknownwoman2016 20th Jul 16, 1:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    unknownwoman2016
    Scammers, fraudsters
    My experience is same as of most others. You order a product, then after looong weeks of chasing and being offered a usb key fob as a "compensation" they tell you that whatever it is you ordered is out of stock. You request a refund and weeks later still nothing. When you chase them they keep saying they are sorry for delay in "initiating" your refund and its is on "priority rank". Clearly this is a scam/fraud operation. I am yet to find a person who actually received a refund from them - the only ones that get their money back are the ones who go to their banks. I reported them to the Auction Fraud, to my bank and visa, and to Hong Kong Customer Affairs and Hong Kong Cyber crime Police. I'm amazed they've been going on for this long ripping people off! I urge everyone to start reporting on them. They ripped me off, they ripped you off - together we can stop them!
    • unknownwoman2016
    • By unknownwoman2016 20th Jul 16, 1:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    unknownwoman2016
    The more people reports them the better!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,305Posts Today

6,685Users online

Martin's Twitter