Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    • 1,920Posts
    • 11,084Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 9:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you’re all so friendly and positive that it’s an inspiring place to ‘hang out’), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It’s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of 132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There’s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won’t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we’re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents…tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don’t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won’t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I’m hoping he’ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We’re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long – we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I’m paying the energy bills we’ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we’re back from our honeymoon, I’ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn’t our forever home and one day we’d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future…
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 63
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 12th Jul 18, 9:09 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 3,177 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    I have just been to have a look at UFM .....I guessed it was something to do with Frugelwoods. I would like to have a go but I am not sure that Mr Mee would go for it, although he is gradually changing his mindset to a more frugal way of living. I would be interested to hear how you have got on at the end of the month and what you missed and what you didn't miss.
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 12th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Earthie - I agree that it's not all for me/us, but it is good and DH has embraced it, which is good (I signed him up for the emails too - he's less receptive when I tell him to do something than when he's had a chance to think about it himself It seems to be working )

Karma - it was all of the helicopters and yes, they are fascinating, especially the Chinooks. It was like something out of (and I may have completely the wrong film!) Apocalypse Now where they all rise up from behind the dunes - in our case, a hedgerow! We watched the TV coverage afterwards - it was excellent! (Hoping there may be a 'bad lip reading' of the royals, but maybe they only covered the wedding because of Meghan??)
    Last edited by themadvix; 12-07-2018 at 2:56 PM.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 12th Jul 18, 2:55 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Sorry Busy Mee, didn't see you there!

I'm not sure we'll have 'missed' much tbh. It's more about reevaluating stuff than cutting things out. And this month isn't a great one for us to be cutting back a lot (although it will still be a relatively cheap one) as we've entertained, it's been my sister's birthday and we're going away for a weekend at the end of the month (plus many unscheduled trips to drive my Dad places!). DH has been considering breakfast options (his longstanding favourite is expensivo, not really his fault, but still pricey nonetheless), which may make a difference long term. The spending diary is good too and so far, I *think* I've kept up with it all.

You can sign up at any time and get the emails - it doesn't have to be July or January. And I think people do it more than once sometimes too, which I can see might help if things come at the wrong time.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 12th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all,

A somewhat frustrating day so far. I wanted to get my tax return done, as DH has helped me sort out some niggly bits on my accounts, but between Nationwide and TSB there's a conspiracy to stop me (don't they know I want to make my annual pension payment and the sooner I get it in there the more I can compound it?). Am now waiting for a certificate of interest from both - requested from Nw, but it looks as if TSB just send it... last year on 20 July, so here's hoping it will be soon.

I have got on with work and various other jobs and am about to go and make some bread and some biscuits to take to a friend at the weekend (for yet another BBQ!).

Looking at our bills account, it looks like we could swipe a chunk of the excess into savings from there - will discuss with DH later.

MS things:
    * VB poll, MS rws, SBs
    * NV and PA surveys
    * PC survey (and fingers crossed a product trial - it's extremely rare they are something I want to try, but this was not wrapped in plastic!

Gratitudes:
    * The attitudes of the media and general public towards the football team - they/we should be proud of what they've achieved, even if they didn't win (and it's so rare for the media not to castigate anyone who is less than perfect).
    * Not having a penalty shoot-out.... I don't think my nerves could have taken that
    * A pretty village on my detour home from taking Dad to work

Enjoy the sunshine this afternoon folks!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 12th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Argh hate banking admin type things hope it's sorted soon!
    Love your gratitude lifts, always different.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel savings 3203/5k
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th Jul 18, 1:46 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all,

I've abandoned the banking admin stuff until I've got the paperwork - Nw did get back to me and are sending them out. Very friendly human people at the other end of their secure messaging

I used up the surfeit of milk yesterday by making ricotta with it. I've just finished putting together a spinach and ricotta cannelloni for dinner tonight (and for the freezer) using the spinach from the veg box and the cannelloni I won last year (the last of the won pasta). So I feel this has helped with clearing the cupboards and not wasting anything. I did have to buy a couple of bits for the dish, but only 1.45 for passata and mozzarella was exclusively for the dish - I'll use the other bits (eggs etc.) for other meals too.

I've also harvested the last of our redcurrants - I certainly can't complain about our 99p redcurrant bush (ebay several years ago, was meant to be blackcurrant but the lady had clearly got them mixed up!). I should think we've had nearly 3kg off it this year. Some have gone in muffins which I'll take down to friends (biscuits burnt, of course! We'll eat them instead ) and rest are ready for the freezer in weighed portions for more muffins. I froze the whey from the ricotta for bread making/pizza bases (also weighed out) too. Think I'm done on cooking for now!

Off to visit Nan shortly, but niece will be there, so surefire happy Nan today!

MS things:
    * All the food saving/harvesting/cheese making/baking shenanigans!
    * MS rw, SBs, VB poll
    * 1P survey, YG survey, PA survey

Gratitudes:
    * Having the time to do all the above - I really enjoy it
    * Our redcurrant bush
    * Having company to visit Nan - much safer and easier

Happy Friday everyone!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jul 18, 2:11 PM
    • 29,742 Posts
    • 171,502 Thanks
    Karmacat
    A 99p redcurrant bush that's a wonderful thing.
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Jul 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    It is indeed KC
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all,

We had a good weekend - visiting friends and their new baby (another one!) for a BBQ on Saturday (muffins went down well) and then went for a walk yesterday morning followed by a lazy afternoon in the garden and impromptu BBQ for two in the evening. Very nice and excepting some fuel, all free.

UFM continues to make us think and the spending diary is going well (I think - I'm either not spending much or forgetting to write it down!). Looking forward to totting it up at the end of the month and seeing how we've done. I can see it becoming a regular thing (which, I hear you all say, it should have been for years!).

We had our annual statements for energy through and we seem to be doing fine on that front - back in credit now after the winter (3% interest paid on credit balances too ). I am trying to remember to turn a couple more things off at the wall when we're done with them (TV, stereo, PS3 and streaming thing on one switch - but will definitely save something as they have lights!).

Mum and niece have just been for lunch - that child never stops.... but she's incredibly cute!

MS things:
    * Took packed lunch for our walk yesterday (NSD)
    * MS rws, SBs, VB poll done
    * 100 point MM survey done

MS things to do:
    * List various bits on the Bay - to get rid as much as to make money
    * Collect RM survey stuff (still not put through door )

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely time on Saturday with old friends
    * A quick wander round a very pretty little village or two (Sat and Sun)
    * The self-satisfaction of being prepared and not having to spend on food when it's unnecessary

Have a good afternoon all
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 17th Jul 18, 12:48 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all!

Am now live on the RM survey - they ramp it up rather! I've got 5 things to post next week, 3 on the same day at different times/places! But I also have my stamp allocation and some L2S vouchers for posting a parcel (which are in excess of the cost of posting). Everything is processed and ready to go.

While I was out I bought some BBQ paint as ours is in need of some TLC. This was something I asked for on freegle, but failed to get. However, once it's painted I'm going to fashion a cover out of a broken suit bag (plasticky 'material') so it won't go rusty again. While I was in B&Q I rescued poor Pep the padron (a reduced chilli pepper plant). He's now looking much healthier in the veg bed and at 75p any chillis he produces will be saving us money

I didn't mention, but on Sunday evening I had a looooong conversation with a nearby neighbour - an older lady - we'd always been on 'hello' terms, but that was it until then. Yesterday, just before DH got in from work, I answered the door to find her standing there with a huge plate of stir fry which she'd made for us! It was delicious and so, so lovely of her! We devoured it when DH got home which was just as well as the leftover cannelloni wouldn't have gone very far (finished that too). So I've just finished making some naans for her (she mentioned she likes biriyani and I have a vague feeling she may be diabetic so cakes might not have worked). Naturally there were some extras to go in our freezer too. Unfortunately neighbour's house is up for sale, so it's unlikely that this newfound friendship will be long term

I also made another batch of yoghurt yesterday - it worked perfectly again and now I'm wondering why it took me so long to get around to doing it.

MS things:
    * VB poll, MS rw and SBs done.
    * 50 MM survey
    * Yoghurty goodness - feeling very domestic goddess at the moment

Gratitudes:
    * Another spring onion has appeared (that makes two )
    * Delicious, delicious free dinner
    * New friendship

Have a good afternoon all
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    • 29,742 Posts
    • 171,502 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds wonderful, madvix! Just goes to show, taking those little social risks can create something really positive.
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 17th Jul 18, 4:59 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    lovely to the stir fry! I'm going out for a meal for my anniversary and I am looking forward. Being frugal makes you appreciate things
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel savings 3203/5k
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 18th Jul 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    So true Karma, although it does mean I'm likely to get entangled in lengthy conversations every time I step out of the house (she can talk!). She was very appreciative of the naan and invited me in for lunch, but fortunately/unfortunately I had to go out - I've been promised fish biriyani next time!

Also very true Earthie - being frugal definitely makes me appreciate the bigs things (meals out) more, just like the small things.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 18th Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

So, I'm here procrastinating instead of going to the butchers to get the chicken for the cats.... problem is, once I've got it, I'll have to cook it and having the oven on and then cutting up the chicken will be unbearable in this heat! (Better this morning though, before the sun comes round.) Can't have the window open as the chicken attracts flies.

Have optimistically planted more spring onions - I did notice the date on the seed packet is 2013, so it's no wonder that germination rates have been low. I've chucked loads in, and will keep trying - anything that grows is a bonus and then I can get rid of the packet once its done. I have quite a few seed packets in similar states of agedness Maybe I should aim to use up all the ones I can - salad, herbs, cress etc., before the end of the year.

Returned more than half of M&S order yesterday as it was no good. As their system was down they refunded it all to my card so I'm definitely up in cash terms on that spend! Paid the money my dad gave me for fuel into the bank, so will send that to cc as I definitely used at least that much fuel ferrying him around (apparently he still seems to think he was doing me a favour letting me do that????!!). Trawled the charity shops, but didn't see anything on my list, so nothing spent (and free parking too).

Did spend in the evening though - we're having kitty weeing problems again (although all good today so far), so more biological cleaner required. Purchased with cash through ebay as the best Am could do was by the beginning of August for 4 more!! (Ebay should be here tomorrow!). Used 20 of Am vouchers (PC and gift) to buy some maintenance stuff for our tent - we had to put it away damp and it has suffered for it. It's also probably due some reproofing anyway. I consider these frugal spends though as they are maintaining our equipment (and cheekily sis is ordering using her (work-paid-for) Prime account ).

MS things:
    * DH will cancel T4stecard as we now have meerkat meals - 30 saved (I think he can be persuaded)
    * VB, MS rw, SBs (lots of codes today )
    * YG survey
    * Post posted
    * HM quiche made for DH's lunches

Gratitudes:
    * Our health - it makes a huge difference to how frugal and self-sufficient we can be
    * A slightly cooler day today
    * A lovely call from the RM survey lady to check I was happy with everything

Have a great day all!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 19th Jul 18, 11:01 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Had a super-productive day yesterday - am really feeling on top of things at the moment. DH and I are focusing on a short list of three jobs to get done each evening and it seems to be working. There's even hope that the snagging list will be reduced soon! This morning I've listed a couple of bits on ebay to get them out of the house (and will appreciate the pennies, but that's less important).

MS things:
    * VB, MS rw, SBs (did well there yesterday, need to claim)
    * PA survey
    * MM surveys (nearly at 25 voucher)
    * Buddha bowl for dinner tonight to use up some flagging greens
    * DH brought home some free socks and a t-shirt from a supplier (he'd only said that morning that he needed new socks )

Gratitudes:
    * The motivation and energy we seem to have at the moment - long may it continue!
    * Hm pizza for tea last night (used leftover whey from ricotta making - was good!)
    * A quick walk with DH last night (and 10k steps)

I'm off to see Nan later and do some volunteering stuff, have a good day all!

ETA: Tax bill paid and 75p TT to savings.
    Last edited by themadvix; 19-07-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 29,742 Posts
    • 171,502 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Lovely stuff, madvix - you and OH are *both* doing well. Loving the universe providing the socks
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 22nd Jul 18, 12:06 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all (well it was, but I forgot to hit post!),

It's been a busy and plentiful few days. On Friday I came home from Brownies (and picking my in-laws up from the airport) with a couple of tasty consumables as thank yous, a tea towel and a 10 M&S voucher (super generous present as girl isn't even leaving Brownies!), as well as empties to put homemade wine in and reimbursement for the wine we bought for the in-laws in Calais (40 euros to Christmas market trip).

I got home to find DH hadn't cooked - he said he'd 'got curry'.... and it certainly smelled like it... I knew he wouldn't have got takeaway... so I was confused.... Until I saw the huge pile of fish biriyani, with two side salads and dessert! Our lovely neighbour had been round! It was delicious and there were leftovers for lunch yesterday!

In addition, I'd sold something on FB for 5 which had been collected while I'd been out. And the other thing on ebay has just sold, so two large items out of the house and a few pennies in. (Have just messaged buyer.... postcode is other end of country... hmm).

Listed a huge number of things on Freegle and the Bay yesterday, so hoping to clear more out of the house in the next few days. Someone came and collected my old desk yesterday - glad it's going to a good home as I've had it since childhood and it was in the house when my parents bought it (when I was 4!). It had served its purpose for us though and was taking up space.

Also got some house jobs done that will make a huge difference And (just sneaking this in here) transferred an excess of 600 from bills account to savings - just shy of 2,000 in there now

Think that's all, have a lovely Sunday x
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 22nd Jul 18, 2:03 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 3,177 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Wow MadVix it sounds to me that you are "reaping what you sow" All the good things you do for other people being repaid in kindness. Lovely stuff.
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd Jul 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Busy Mee - what a lovely thing to say Not sure it's true, but thank you!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd Jul 18, 5:17 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Aaargh just lost a post!

Long and short is: Working in garden - breeze is nice; 3rd spring onion has appeared , 3 x PA surveys, all the usual bits, sold a small ebay item, collection-only item fell through.

Neighbour has just arrived with yet more food.... what do I do?? We're having pizza for dinner tonight (going to try cooking on BBQ). I've put the dish she made into the fridge (probably testing the fridge but it was rice).... but I can't cope with this! It's so lovely, but..... (it sounds ungrateful to hope she sells her house soon and I don't mean it that way, but it's getting to be very awkward!).

Gratitudes:
    * a breeze in the garden
    * a visiting dunnock
    * delicious neighbourly kindness

Have a good evening all!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,985Posts Today

9,193Users online

Martin's Twitter