How long before you move in together

Comments

• We bought a house together within a year of starting dating - so.. do what feels right

If it doesn't feel right then finish it.

After a year, you should probably know if you want to move in, or not.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 June 2017 at 4:43PM
    He moved in with me about 4 weeks after we got together, we got married a year later and were together over 24 years.

I definitely think it's different if you already have children and/or have already been married/in a longterm cohabitation. It'd be natural to be more cautious because you have so much more to lose if it doesn't work out.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    3 years
    You not ready , she will not take to it kindly, you arguing over little things - if I were you I would have asked whether there was any future in it , not whether I should move.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I met my now husband in the October and moved in together in the January. I think its more tricky if you have kids. I knew if it didn't work I could just move back to my parents but as an adult with kids etc I think I'd want to be pretty certain. Have you discussed finances / how to deal with each others kids etc?
    I think a trial might be sensible. Give it a go for a month then decide? Tell the kids you / your partner are having work done on the house or something so they are not upset or shocked if it doesn't work.
    I'd say wait till the honeymoon period has passed, however long that is for you. When you stop trying to impress and just get on with daily life that's when people start to find the other irritating!
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Third time I met him! :eek:

We met in a nightclub May bank holiday weekend, a couple of hours from where I live and he was on a course in the area. Only time I have been to that town.

He came to see me two weekends later for the weekend. The following weekend he was getting posted (services) near me, so he brought his stuff in from the car rather than leaving it there overnight and he didn't leave!

He paid food and a comodation for a few months at the base, but never stayed there.

21 years together now. :j
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I didn't move in with my husband until we'd been together almost 2 years. I think the fact we only saw each other at weekends and even then they were sometimes cut short as I was studying a professional qualification outside of work.

I personally don't think a year is long, especially when you had serious relationship fail before and have children to consider. Also not everyone pregresses at tge same speed. Explain how you want to wait longer, build a better foundation, get to know more if the things that could be bigger issues when living together first (attitude to money, how to split costs, how you parent and how you would parent each other's children, etc).

As long as living together is still on the cards for you at some point, you are just not ready yet, then it will hopefully be fine.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I wouldn't consider moving in with someone before a year, kids or no kids. Anything less than this is no time at all. I'd also want to live with someone at least a year before I considered getting married.

I was with my girlfriend about 5 years before we moved in together and I proposed on our 10 year anniversary. Worked for us.
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    I moved in after 6 months I was only 16/17 lol. I was head over heels ! 14 years later 4 kids and too many house moves we are still here.

However your situation is totally different ! There is kids involved and the children have already suffered their family break down. I don't see the urgency, you've only been together 11 months and don't live together and your bickering ! Just think that may escalate if you live together.

For the sake of her child I think she should be a lot more cautious ! And to honest you have answerd your own question you don't want to. So until you do it would silly to do it while feeling like that as it will fail. It's suppose to be exciting !

And if it fails the kids need to witness another relationship breakdown ! Just be honest with her always best way.
  • I understand where your coming from OP, I split with my wife and had to start again getting my own place again etc. If I met someone else I think I would be very reluctant to give that up in a hurry!
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We are into our 6th year and no plans to move in yet. Will wait for children to leave education and into work. Another 8-10 years i think
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure