BR help please - very scared and anxious!!

2»

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As sourcrates asked, why are you going bankrupt because your partner has lost their job? On the face of it this makes no sense. There may be those that can help if you explain this further.
  • hbp2008
    hbp2008 Posts: 40 Forumite
    I relied heavily on their income to pay debts, it's debt that we have both accumulated, however it's all in my name.
  • hbp2008
    I relied heavily on their income to pay debts, it's debt that we have both accumulated, however it's all in my name.

Is this an issue when applying?
  • hbp2008
    I have spoken to Step Change and they have advised BR is the best option for me at the moment x
  • Hello

I went bankrupt 6 months ago, i put on a brave face and was petrified, but really its not all that bad!

Your Car is it paid off in full or does it have an outstanding balance?

The car is tricky as it does have a decent value on it, all you can do is inform the OR of your situation, They will have a telephone interview with you, lasts about an hour, you basically go through your application and check everything is correct, they will ask about assets you have, unless you have artwork worth 1000's of 1000's they wont be interested.

Things will get hard, the application is hard, the interview will seem scary...its not (i can guarantee when you hang up you will think why was i worried).

The issue is accepting yourself and realizing you are doing this because you have no other choice and you want to tackle the issue, it takes a lot of courage to go Bankrupt.

I wish you all the luck with the car, if you do sell it remember to sell it at market value, and the OR will ask what you have done with the money.

If you have any questions about bankruptcy feel free to drop me a PM
  • hbp2008
    Thanks so much, I've actually completed the application now and it's all been approved. I may lose the car, I've been advised to offer the auctioneers a settlement figure in order to keep it as it is deemed necessary for my health/condition but is too expensive to just exempt.

I've had 2 OR's, due to sickness and both of them have been absolutely amazing. Really understanding, not judgmental at all and actually said to me, it's not meant to be a punishment, it's a fresh start to build again and learn from the mistakes.

And you're right, it does take a lot of guts to do it, I'm amazed at myself and the strength I've had to be honest! Hope you're okay and you're getting on well with it all x
  • Bk83
    Bk83 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi

I went bankrupt early May this year and have had my interview over the phone also had to send some docs off as proof did these about 2 weeks ago how long does it take to hear back from Official Receiver or would I have heard back by now?
    Thanks for any info
  • hbp2008
    I'm the same, went BR 16th May, sent all my signed paperwork off, proof that they needed etc and haven't heard anything back. I think no news is good news? x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure