Barclaycard vs Capital One - which to go for?

Never had a credit card before, but I have decided to get one to build up a credit history in preparation for applying for a mortgage in the future. I've narrowed my choices down to these two as they seem the most popular and beginner friendly credit card brands to me. I wonder which I should go with?

I'm looking for one that is most likely to approve me, offer a higher limit, has a great mobile app, is reliable.

Basic bit of detail about myself:
- working a full time job, above 20k a year
- clean credit history (as far as I know)
- very low monthly outgoing payments

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Barclaycard would give you more options further down the road.

However, I would try an eligibility checker first.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Both have an eligibility checker of their own so worth running your details through it.

Also worth checking your credit files via Credit Club, Clearscore and Noddle just so you know exactly what is held. ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • tomocat3
    tomocat3 Posts: 12 Forumite
    I know barclaycard seem to have a wider range (and better) of deals, but is there some advantage to switching over to some of their other cards from an existing barclaycard?

I think a lot of the deals on offer from barclaycard are aimed only at new customers
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    BC are known for offering existing customers deals on BTs and MTs on a regular basis if eligible. It just gives more options.

There is no reason why you can't apply for both. Many people have 2 CCs - a back up is always good.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is there any problem to redesignate Barclaycard Platinum to Barclaycard Platinum Travel ? Has anyone tried it ?

Barclaycard Travel gives advantage of Transaction in foreign currecies, especially cash withdrawal . Is there any disadvantage or drawbacks of reresignating Barclaycard Platinum to Barclaycard Platinum Travel (e.g 0% interest on BT with competitive fee, etc) ?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    adindas wrote: »
    Is there any problem to redesignate Barclaycard Platinum to Barclaycard Platinum Travel ? Has anyone tried it ?

Barclaycard Travel gives advantage of Transaction in foreign currecies, especially cash withdrawal . Is there any disadvantage or drawbacks of reresignating Barclaycard Platinum to Barclaycard Platinum Travel (e.g 0% interest on BT with competitive fee, etc) ?

You can't re-designate from one product to another. If you want the Barclaycard Travel card, then you have to apply for it separately.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure