Equal Pay - Gender Discrimination

Options

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Amy198 wrote: »
    I worked on the team for 2 years before going onto the secondment - it is my substantive team, I am good friends with my colleagues and we openly discuss pay and performance. My manager on the team is openly quite sexist, often being disparaging about people going on maternity leave and assigning preferential tasks to male employees. When I was on the team I was always asked to do things like minuting meetings, organising team events etc. my male colleagues were never asked to do these.

You see these things as demeaning?

Do you think your colleagues might play down their performance or play up their pay?
  • Amy198
    Amy198 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    You see these things as demeaning?

Do you think your colleagues might play down their performance or play up their pay?

Yes they are demeaning - my role is as a data analyst - I wouldnt mind doing these things if they were taken in turn etc but I was treated as the team secretary for a lot of activity that was not in my job description.

No - my colleagues have been very open re their pay, my substantive manager has been upfront about how badly performing the person hired to cover me has been - I have been asked to come back from my seconded role on several occasions to help train him. With the other member of the team (the highest paid one) he is very open about having been on a performance improvement plan as has been struggling with anxiety affecting performance.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes they are demeaning - my role is as a data analyst - I wouldnt mind doing these things if they were taken in turn etc but I was treated as the team secretary for a lot of activity that was not in my job description.

No - my colleagues have been very open re their pay, my substantive manager has been upfront about how badly performing the person hired to cover me has been - I have been asked to come back from my seconded role on several occasions to help train him. With the other member of the team (the highest paid one) he is very open about having been on a performance improvement plan as has been struggling with anxiety affecting performance.

Lots of people earn more than you and your colleagues to do minutes and organise events. You’re a data analyst not a CFO; kind of need to get over it.

Out of curiosity how are pat increments worked out- performance? Length of service?
  • Amy198
    Options
    Lots of people earn more than you and your colleagues to do minutes and organise events. You’re a data analyst not a CFO; kind of need to get over it.

Out of curiosity how are pat increments worked out- performance? Length of service?

Performance reviews are done on an annual basis - meeting all performance standards gets you a 1% increase, thats all that is possible.

I was more drawing attention to the fact that I was the only one on the team required to do those things - i wouldn't have had a problem doing them if we did it on a rota basis or something but as the only woman on the team I was expected to do them - the other two on the team were not expected to do them.

The basis of the facts for me is my line manager is openly quite sexist, i was expected to do more menial work than my male colleagues (in addition to other responsibilities) and I am paid over 10% less than my colleagues. To me this seems like I am being paid less for being a woman, there seems to be no reasonable reason why I would be paid less than the others.

Anyway - aside from all this I've seen the ACAS advice posted above re questions and have put them to our HR team to ask them - if there is a reasonable reason why then fair enough but I cannot seem to find one.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Performance reviews are done on an annual basis - meeting all performance standards gets you a 1% increase, thats all that is possible.

I was more drawing attention to the fact that I was the only one on the team required to do those things - i wouldn't have had a problem doing them if we did it on a rota basis or something but as the only woman on the team I was expected to do them - the other two on the team were not expected to do them.

The basis of the facts for me is my line manager is openly quite sexist, i was expected to do more menial work than my male colleagues (in addition to other responsibilities) and I am paid over 10% less than my colleagues. To me this seems like I am being paid less for being a woman, there seems to be no reasonable reason why I would be paid less than the others.

Anyway - aside from all this I've seen the ACAS advice posted above re questions and have put them to our HR team to ask them - if there is a reasonable reason why then fair enough but I cannot seem to find one.

Probably because you were preceived as doing it better. Some people are bad minute takers and organsiers. In my 40 years of industrial experience I can say that women tend to be better than men at that sort of thing anyway (men are, of course, better than women - generally speaking - at some other things).
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All three people on the team perform the exact same job- same job description etc.
    Three members of the team are:
    1 - Male - Paid £31.5k - middle level of experience, bad performance reviews, longest time with company.
    2 - Male - Paid £26.5k - zero analyst experience at all, bad performance reviews, shortest time with company - hired to be my replacement while on secondment.
    3 - Female (me) - Paid £24k - most amount of analyst experience, rated as exceptional in performance reviews, medium amount of time with company.

It maybe but considering you've just hammered your colleagues I have little sympathy
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lots of people earn more than you and your colleagues to do minutes and organise events. You!!!8217;re a data analyst not a CFO; kind of need to get over it.

Personally, I disagree with this.

It is perfectly reasonable to ask the question as to why females doing the same job are paid less than men doing very similar jobs.

Regarding the comment about being a CFO. From a legal perspective, it is generally much easier to prove discrimination for lower paid roles than for higher paid roles.

This is because you are able to make comparisons against several people doing very similar jobs. If an Employment Tribunal claim was brought the employer would have to reveal what it pays men and what it pays women, and explain to the Tribunal what non-discriminatory reason it has for paying the men more for doing the same job.

It is more difficult to bring equal pay claims for very senior roles like the CFO, because there is unlikely to be another person in the organisation doing the same job.
  • Amy198
    Options
    It maybe but considering you've just hammered your colleagues I have little sympathy

I didn't mean for it to come across like that. I was more trying to demonstrate that its not because I am not performing as well as them.
  • Amy198
    Options
    Personally, I disagree with this.

It is perfectly reasonable to ask the question as to why females doing the same job are paid less than men doing very similar jobs.

Regarding the comment about being a CFO. From a legal perspective, it is generally much easier to prove discrimination for lower paid roles than for higher paid roles.

This is because you are able to make comparisons against several people doing very similar jobs. If an Employment Tribunal claim was brought the employer would have to reveal what it pays men and what it pays women, and explain to the Tribunal what non-discriminatory reason it has for paying the men more for doing the same job.

It is more difficult to bring equal pay claims for very senior roles like the CFO, because there is unlikely to be another person in the organisation doing the same job.

In this case our roles are all identical, we have the same job title and descriptions and work on the same projects. That's all I am looking for, if there is a non-discriminatory justification for it then that's ok. I just cannot see one!
  • demiruss
    demiruss Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options

I hope you get somewhere with it, but I would look somewhere else as soon as feasible. You're right if what you've put is true there is no reasonable explanation for you to be paid less than the male colleagues. Unions are hit and miss with sex-based discrimination in the workplace. I would love to know how a shop assistant can start off on a £26k data analyst job :mad: And I would have refused to be accountable for all the low-level admin and made it clear it ought to be shared or they need to think about hiring someone to do it if it's not in your job description. If you give some employers an inch they will take a yard. I'm sure lots will disagree with this ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure