I have not had paid work for TWELVE YEARS now

My last job ended in January 2005, and I went to go back to JSA only to be told I was going on Income Support or Incapacity Benefit because my claim form listed medication. I have not had a paid job since then, but I have been volunteering at the PDSA and then Mind Cymru until now. In 2012 I was moved from IS/IB to ESA WRAG but have had no JCP appointments in all that time.

I am 45 this September and I'm seriously doubting my employment prospects, even though I am being hauled before a WCA assessor on Tuesday. I am obese in my torso, have Acute Urinary Retention, bad knees, and am on medication for mental health issues and a hiatal hernia.

What should I expect? And what are my chances of ever finding paid work again?

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Yes, finding paid work isn't going to be easy after such a long gap - but people do this, and not just rarely. A lot depends on you. If you are prepared to really get into your job searching, if you try for everything possible, and if you make an effort - yes, it's entirely possible you could find paid employment. Having a history of volunteering does help, as it shows you haven't just sat around watching the goggle box all day, but have been putting something back into society, and keeping busy. And disability isn't a barrier to employment - lots of people with disabilities (me included) work.

The most important thing is to not look at the reasons why you can't work, but find ways in which you can see yourself working. If you only see the barriers, then you'll never get past them.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    What skills have you learned through your volunteering?
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Call centre work? Its not physical and adjustments can easily be made to keep you comfortable. You have communication skills gained from volunteering and I'm assuming you are caring and compassionate based on your choice of volunteer placements.
    Focus on what you can do. You might feel a bit ropey, but for every challenge you face or ailment you have, I bet you have double the number of useful and nice qualities. Finding a job is not all about skills, personality plays a huge part too. Start by taking a temporary role or a zero hour contract (if you can) as a easier way to get in the door.
  • AMJF
    AMJF Posts: 7 Forumite
    IAmWales wrote: »
    What skills have you learned through your volunteering?

PDSA was a charity shop, and I was doing all sorts, practically everything except the till.

Mind Cymru is an office environment and I'd been doing different things there, too, but mostly this time on the IT side of things.
  • AMJF
    As I said, the WCA is on Tuesday and after that it could take weeks for a decision. I was maybe thinking of getting in the habit of job-applying after Tuesday and seeing if I could get something before the outcome. Or should I wait?

Also, I'm in Cardiff and there's almost a certainty that I'll end up on Universal Credit. Do I stand a good chance of getting an Advance before my first payment, 6 or 7 weeks from claiming? And is the 35-hours a week aspect negotiable? I want to be eased in, not thrown in at the deep end. I heard it was.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    AMJF wrote: »
    PDSA was a charity shop, and I was doing all sorts, practically everything except the till.

Mind Cymru is an office environment and I'd been doing different things there, too, but mostly this time on the IT side of things.

That's great, you've experience in retail, customer service and in administration.

To start building your cv, for each role think of three bullet points that describe what you did and the key skills you learned. For example, you have experience in dealing with customers face to face and over the phone.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 July 2017 at 12:03PM
    The OP was trying to explain on a forum what they had done. For retail not working on the till is relevant. Though I agree not to actually state a negative on the CV, actually telling a lie is never a good thing. Say what you can do, not what you can't.

A prospective employer may not check with a previous (voluntary role) one exactly the duties involved. However if you say you can do something but then can't demonstrate this on your first day at work or in a practical interview test, it is far worse that saying that you would need training on their equipment.
  • AMJF
    I should point out I've also been a carer for some of that time, namely my mentally sick mother for over a week each from 2009 to 2011 (she died shortly after in 2011) and my paternal grandmother aged 90+ for ten days a few years later (who also died a year or so later). I've not yet mentioned that on my CV, however, as I doubt I'm ready to take on caring for strangers.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Caring responsibilities show attitude and application, even if that isn't what you want to do. It isn't the kind of work for everyone, and nobody should do it if they don't want to! But all of these things demonstrate that you have not got a ten year gap - it's just filled with other valuable things. Because honestly, for all sorts of reasons, if you can work, you ought to. It isn't even about money. Although that might help! But do you know, for example, that people who have been in employment live longer than those who haven't? By quite a few years.

You obviously have quite a bit about you - don't make this about whether you pass a test or not, but whether this is good for you or not. Even if you retain your benefits as are, that doesn't stop you looking for the right job - it just makes it a little less urgent. If you are ready to work, and I think you believe that you could, then think about what a difference that could make to you. Maybe, just maybe, in 12 or 18 months you could be posting on the board for holiday abroad bargains instead of here!!! Work isn't perfect - that's why the lottery makes so much money! But it has a lot going for it that benefits don't have.
  • aife
    aife Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I agree with the General. Don't lie , lies have a way of surfacing . And it would probably be a source of anxiety that you just don't need. Just list all the things that you DID do , and if anybody specifically asks just say , no - you were never asked to do it / they had somebody else covering that role , whatever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure