LBG change overdraft charging structure

Jphilg
Jphilg Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 12 July 2017 at 12:10AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hi All

First post after lurking for quite sometime.

Lloyds, BOS and Halifax will shorty announce that they are simplyfying their overdraft fees across all brands.

The new structure will see a charge of £0.01 for every £7 of an overdraft being used which will debit the account DAILY.

All over fees such as unarranged overdraft fees will be removed.

The accounts themselves will remain the same - i.e Halifax Reward will still pay £3 to qualifying customers.

The group say 9/10 customers will see their charges reduce.

Obviously this will impact big overdraft users who, for example, would have been capped at £3 a day if they are with Halifax.

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Here and here.

Both articles mention a fee of 1p per day for every £7 a customer is overdrawn, which applies to both arranged and unarranged overdrafts.

Cheap for someone who dips in to their overdraft from time to time. Expensive for someone who lives in a large overdraft.
    Most customers will be better off, Lloyds says, but admits those with larger debts will pay more. It says customers who use £100 of a planned overdraft for ten days then borrow £50 more, unplanned, for a further two days are currently charged £18 in a Halifax Reward account and £26.43 in a Lloyds Classic account.
    Under the new system, they will pay just £1.40. This is 14p a day for the planned overdraft use and nothing for the extra £50.

Andrew Hagger, founder of researchers Moneycomms, calculated that those borrowing four-figure sums will pay more.

For example, a £2,000 overdraft for 12 days currently costs a Club Lloyds customer £17.47 but will rise to £34.29.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-4686590/Lloyds-scrap-unauthorised-overdraft-charges.htm
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hopefully for me it will make no difference. I sometimes go overdrawn by a few thousand pounds some days but the money is back in the account by midnight the same day.
  • Former_MSE_Megan_F
    Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
    Newshound!
    edited 12 July 2017 at 4:18PM
    Millions of Lloyds, Halifax and Bank of Scotland customers could benefit from an overhaul of bank charges, meaning they won't pay if they go over their overdraft limit and there'll be no fees for missed payments - but some could be worse off...
    Read the full story:
    'Overdraft overhaul for Lloyds, Halifax and Bank of Scotland customers'
    OfficialStamp.gif
    Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anybody else confused by this article ?? No fees for an unarranged overdraft??
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Anybody else confused by this article ?? No fees for an unarranged overdraft??

You've read that right, that's also what BBC are saying. Barclays apparently did something similar, but prevented you going into an unaarranged overdraft? I imagine that meant simply that any transaction that would put you in that situation would be declined. I don't know if LBG will do the same thing, though I can't imagine what else they could do other than let people rake up debt.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This poor MSE article appears to be factually wrong.
    Arranged overdraft fees will be a flat rate of 1p per £7 borrowed.
    There won't be any unarranged overdraft fees and charges.

I believe the truth is that fees on ALL overdrafts, arranged or unarranged, will be 1p/day per £7.

The "Removed" in the table in the last column for "unarranged overdraft" should read 1p/day per £7

Note that the bank may continue to block payments from the account until the overdraft is paid off.

Looking around the press reports, about half of them have got it wrong.

• scooby359
    scooby359 Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Curious for student accounts if it'll affect going into an unauth overdraft - will the new charge apply then, or are they sticking to the £35?
  • Hi One-eye,

We asked this exact question to Lloyds Banking Group when writing the story, and it confirmed that the 1p per £7 charge will not apply to unarranged overdrafts. If you could confirm where you've heard otherwise, I'll look into it again.

Thanks,
    MSE Rosie

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    One-Eye wrote: »
    This poor MSE article appears to be factually wrong.

I believe the truth is that fees on ALL overdrafts, arranged or unarranged, will be 1p/day per £7.

The "Removed" in the table in the last column for "unarranged overdraft" should read 1p/day per £7

Note that the bank may continue to block payments from the account until the overdraft is paid off.

Looking around the press reports, about half of them have got it wrong.

To be fair, MSE's report is based heavily on the actual wording in the LBG press release, which does indeed state:
    • From November, there will be a simple, single rate of 1p per day for every £7 of planned overdraft usage, clearly linking the amount charged to the amount and period of borrowing
    • All fees and charges associated with unplanned overdrafts will be removed
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 11:08AM
    There'll just be one table of charges for all overdrafts. Planned and unplanned merged into one.

Badly worded press release, but it does state:
    All customers will pay a simple daily rate with no additional fees and charges
    My bolding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport