strange semi official ebay statement

I'm not cut and pasting as I'm sure it breaches ebay etiquette but anyone who is a powerseller, go and take a look on the PS community board. Find the thread 'Re: Shop Fee Increase - Cause for concern?... '

In that thread a pink (or blue or whatever they are called now) has stated that business registration on ebay is entirely a matter for the seller to opt for based on their business model and that for many opening a new private account and selling there instead may well be the cheaper option! They actually have suggested that it is an acceptable action to opt to sell privately to save fees. They do however go on to say that for most businesses the many ebay perks for selling as a business may well outweigh any monetary gain. (although most sellers were unsure of any business perks we get!)

The sellers are of course confused and somewhat alarmed by this and have asked for clarification as this breaches both ebay rules and UK law. As usual though the pinks never ever come back to explain.

Whilst it is obviously a personal statement made by a rogue CS rep (who is probably being retrained as we speak) It illustrates the issue that many of us have, in that CS don't seem to actually have any knowledge of ebay at all . Anyone of us who has used ebay for any length of time know about the requirements for using a business v private account, the rules are there in black and white even with examples of what constitutes a business. It shows how badly ebay are currently running if they employ people to respond formally on threads who do not have a working knowledge of ebay or UK law.

For any newbies reading this, don't be tempted to follow the advice to open a private account to trade as a business, although it seems ebay don't really care, it is too big a risk if you are spending money on stock and 'branding'.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Maybe... That eBay customer service rep...

said....

4418890.jpg
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    She made that comment or statement, whatever they deem it to be and that has been her last post. 10th March, so it's feasible she has gone on holiday, but it was a completely outrageous and stupid comment to make.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,198 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    She made that comment or statement, whatever they deem it to be and that has been her last post. 10th March, so it's feasible she has gone on holiday, but it was a completely outrageous and stupid comment to make.

I agree and regardless of the point she was making, to me it shows the complete lack of respect that ebay have for their sellers. The statement is obviously wrong, yet not one pink has come back to clarify or to apologise for the rubbish advice.

As soon as one newbie business seller takes that advice and opens a new private account and moves their stuff across I suspect their account will be in danger, but do ebay care - even when that seller might be acting on ebay advice? Will they show leniency on the basis 'ebay told me it was OK?' - I would lay good money that ebay won't care and will just refer them back to the rules and suspend them.

On the other hand I have a lovely clear new private account, about 3 years old, all restrictions lifted, a couple of hundred feedback and never used. I am a worrier and ebay already hate me so would not risk making that my new business account, but I could see that many sellers would be tempted as that account has 100 free listings a day and gets regular low FVF offers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    eBay are actively encouraging private sellers by giving them 100 free listings a day. What private seller needs that amount ? I have three eBay business accounts and would struggle to list that much stuff

I am getting sick of eBay favouring private sellers. It's about time they looked after business sellers who pay them hundreds of £s a month to use what is increasingly a slow, glitchy site.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • soolin
    eBay are actively encouraging private sellers by giving them 100 free listings a day. What private seller needs that amount ? I have three eBay business accounts and would struggle to list that much stuff

I am getting sick of eBay favouring private sellers. It's about time they looked after business sellers who pay them hundreds of £s a month to use what is increasingly a slow, glitchy site.

A seller on the boards posted a link which he had to remove, to a 'private' seller with 1700 live listings virtually all brand new items and whose listings contained details of their business. The business seller got a slap for posting user Ids but the private seller is now running at almost 2500 items.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    When the increases come, wasn't it 48% increase (from memory on the boards) I can see people opting to try this new and approved method of selling via a private account.
  • charlies_mum
    Disgusting, but who can blame them when eBay let them get away with it.

I am coming to the conclusion that I'm an idiot playing by the rules.

There's another thread on the boards about a buyer who has opened 34 INR claims with another 4 pending and eBay don't seem to be doing anything about it !

All trust or respect I had for eBay has gone and if anyone set up an alternative I'd be off like a shot.
  • soolin
    Disgusting, but who can blame them when eBay let them get away with it.

I am coming to the conclusion that I'm an idiot playing by the rules.

There's another thread on the boards about a buyer who has opened 34 INR claims with another 4 pending and eBay don't seem to be doing anything about it !

All trust or respect I had for eBay has gone and if anyone set up an alternative I'd be off like a shot.

I was really happy earlier in the week as my sales were really increasing but now I'm despondent . I'm even giving Shpock a try, that's how desperate I am to get things moving again.
  • charlies_mum
    Well this is our living now and today it's looking like Adi beans for dinner :rotfl:
  • soolin
    Well this is our living now and today it's looking like Adi beans for dinner :rotfl:

Gosh pushing the boat out there charlies_mum...

Wish me luck I am trying to list a whole new load of stock here as I've spent almost £300 on stock this week and need to get it listed..I have a bottle of prosecco in the fridge though ready for when I get fed up and want to phone ebay and rant at them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure