Installing a stopcock

Options
I live in (and own) a flat on the top floor of a small block of flats. The only stopcock for my flat is outside the building (and in an emergency would involve negotiating a few flights of stairs and 4 locked doors/gates/cupboards!) The pipes do divide into separate pipes for each flat at that initial entry point so I do have my own stopcock.

How much would it cost to have an additional stopcock within my flat? How can I find out where the water supply first enters the flat? The kitchen is a bit nearer to where the stopcocks/pipes first enter the building on the ground floor - but the boiler is in the bathroom so does that mean that the water supply first enters through the bathroom and into the boiler?

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the only people who would know are either the architect or the plumber who did the job, it could come in anywhere. Consider fitting lever turn ball valves to each tap / connection as and when you work on them. If water pressure is not really good use full bore valves.

choose from here:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Valves/sd2696

I like lever turn for an emergency shut off, but we fit isolation valves to every component, its good practice.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 7:52PM
    Options
    You won't be able to use logic to determine where the supply enters your flat! I'd suggest you map out where all the pipe are (you never know when this might be handy for another reason, so keep a copy) and see if you can see where the cold pipe might be entering the flat. Once you have some candidate routes, you might be able to ask the owner of the flat beneath yours if you could look to see if any of the routes have or haven't got pipes running to them. You might need to drill some holes into the walls of your flat and use and endoscope to look into them, but look to see if there are any access hatches anywhere in your flat you might even find a stoptap!

Installing a new stopcock should be a simple job for a plumber and cost less than £150.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    To do this wouldn't the supply need to be turned off from the outside valve and if true, wouldn't the neighbours of the block need to be given notice of when and how long? They might like the idea too (I would) and take advantage to have their own stop-tap fitting.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends what the supply pipe is made from, plastic can be clamped and copper can be frozen whilst it is fitted.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends what the supply pipe is made from, plastic can be clamped and copper can be frozen whilst it is fitted.

Ah, I didn't know that! Just as well I ain't a plumber. :)
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Chanes wrote: »
    To do this wouldn't the supply need to be turned off from the outside valve and if true, wouldn't the neighbours of the block need to be given notice of when and how long? They might like the idea too (I would) and take advantage to have their own stop-tap fitting.
    From the OP. " The pipes do divide into separate pipes for each flat at that initial entry point so I do have my own stopcock."

My stoptap was replaced a few years ago which involved turning off the water to other flats. It took about 10 minutes to replace the tap. If the pipes need cutting it should take no more than 20? minutes. To fit stoptaps in neigboring flats should be cheaper if all are done at the same time. Suggest it to your neighbours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure