Need some words of comfort

Me and my partner completed on a house sale 23/09. On moving in and starting the plastering we found so many little things are wrong with the house that need sorting at some point.

All was going ok and I was coping ok but I lost my Dad on 26/09 to a short fight with pancreatic cancer. I feel like my world has collapsed. I have come back to work this week and I am really struggling. I feel exhausted. I have no interest in the house at all and renovation costs are mounting and spiraling adding additional pressure.

When I am at the house I am worried about My Mum alone at home.

I really am trying to be strong, but am finding this so difficult. I am worried I have made a huge mistake with the house as it currently look like a bomb has hit it and I feel like I have fallen out of love with it.

I have come down with a rubbish cold over the past two days and rushed about so much this morning on my way to work (I had to rush up to the new house to take a delivery) I parked the car up at work without buying a ticket ... So parking ticket for me.

I just want to curl up under my duvet, be alone and sleep and cry.

Any advice?

Comments

• I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    I am not surprised how you feel at the moment - you are going through shock at your Fathers sudden death and coping with a new house and worried about your Mother too.
    My father died suddenly when I was 17 years old, many years ago now - I felt sleepy all the time.
    Take each day as it comes - do what has to be done - and gradually over time life will regain some normality - although not for a good while .
    Take Care of yourself .
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Losing your Dad must have been very painful. I've very sorry you had that happen. I can only imagine that this grief alone is very hard to come to terms with.

Remember too, that buying a house is one of the most stressful things you can do.

With so much going on, have you spoken to anyone about how you are feeling. Do you feel like you can share this with your partner?

If this is just feeling a little bit down, I might just say bear with it. The house will start to look better the further along you get, and when you start to really put your own stamp on it, then it will start to feel like home, I'm sure. Take it slowly, one day, one job at a time and you'll get there.

If, however, this feels like more than just feeling a bit sorry for yourself, I would really encourage you to talk to your partner, your GP, friends...whoever you feel you can share with. You'll get that bit of extra support, and if your GP feels like you need it, he may give you something to help lift your mood temporarily while you recover from the grief and stress. He may even feel like you need signing off from work for a short while.

Also, in all of this, be sure you're having down time, just for you and for you and your partner. You need time where you're not stressing over the house, worrying about your mum or work. That little bit of "me time" is essential to your own wellbeing.

Maybe try to write a list of all the good things that have happened each day too. This helps me to focus on the good rather than the bad. Every day has good in it, even if you have to look quite hard for it. Mine are sometimes as little as "Didn't get rained on today". It helps.

I'm sending lots of hugs. You WILL get through this.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Advice? Do curl up under your duvet. Sometimes that's the best thing we can do to rest emotionally, physically and psychologically. Just make sure you don't stay there too long, but a good session of hiding away from the world can be the best therapy to get up again with a 'I'm ready to go again attitude'.
  • Oh gosh, reading your post this could have been me writing it almost two years ago.

In recent months and weeks you've been through some of the most stressful and difficult life experiences; buying a home, moving house and the loss of your dad. My sincere condolences on your loss.

Two years ago I got a call at my desk at work at 8am. It was my dad telling me he'd found my mum unresponsive in a chair at home. Despite our best efforts and those of paramedics mum couldn't be saved. It was a huge shock for us all. Two months later my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers and began suffering with fairly minor, but recurring infections and illness.

At the time I was an Executive Assistant working at a high level in a national organisation. I took some time off to deal with the administration of mum's affairs, arranging her funeral etc, then returned to work for 2 weeks until her funeral. I felt I had to keep going as it was the only "normality" in my life at the time, and I didn't want to let anyone down.

Six weeks later I still felt just as you described. I had to haul myself out of bed for work in the mornings, wanted to sleep all the time, went shopping and came home without things I'd gone for, even though they were on my list and even managed to return my trolley in a supermarket car park, leaving my handbag containing my purse, phone, all sorts in the trolley.

A few weeks later I was struck down with shingles. It's the most excruciatingly painful condition and I had what our GP said was the worst case he'd ever seen. This was my body's way of saying "if you're not listening to me I'm damn well going to make you stop!". I was ill for months and almost 2 years later still suffer horrible nerve pain if I get overtired or stressed.

My advice to you is to listen to your body; it's simply trying to tell you what it needs to get you through the things that life has, and continues to throw at you. Take time out for you. If you're working can you take some leave? If not do visit your GP and ask to be signed off to allow you some time to deal with recent events and to help your body and mind to take the time and rest they need to stay healthy. Don't do as I did and keep going. I so wish I'd listened to my body and put myself into the equation before I had no option.

I wish you well and hope that this is a help. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it might not even be a train coming the other way, but the tunnel is different for everyone and we all deal with life events differently. Let others help you by running you a bath or cooking for you but most importantly take some time out for you, book yourself a massage or pamper session where you can really relax and be you. Cry if you need to, or perhaps write down your thoughts and feelings and put them away in a drawer. Speak with your GP if you feel that may help. It may be that a short course of anti-depressants may help tide you through this difficult time and out the other side.

Your post really resonated with me, and whilst I don't have all the answers I hope that some of my suggestions may help you. Two years on things are still difficult at times, but if I could turn the clock back I would have realised sooner that looking after myself had to be a priority too. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I hope you don't mind me sharing my experiences with you .

I wish you well x
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    FBaby wrote: »
    Advice? Do curl up under your duvet. Sometimes that's the best thing we can do to rest emotionally, physically and psychologically. Just make sure you don't stay there too long, but a good session of hiding away from the world can be the best therapy to get up again with a 'I'm ready to go again attitude'.

Good advice. You need to take care of yourself at this awful sad time.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Madmel
    Madmel Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Condolences from me too. Two of the most stressful things in life happening within a couple of days of each other is really really tough.

I echo what other posters have written. Be kind to yourself. Don't stress about the house; does it matter if it takes months rather than weeks to sort? One thing I would suggest (depending on the work that needs doing) is to have one room which you can live with which becomes your haven. When you are surrounded by boxes, plaster dust and paint tins, it's so disheartening. If there is one space that is free from that, make some time each day to go in there and just chill. Cry, read, listen to music or just close your eyes and breathe deeply for a few minutes in there because it will help.

I had a haven when we moved house. It's still probably the nicest room and we still haven't done a lot to it 10 years on! But it was somewhere I could go to unwind and forget about the chaos of the rest of the place.

Best of luck x
  • A practical thing: you don't have to finish the house by Christmas or any other deadline. There is no need to rush. If it looks like a building site, it looks like a building site. It won't fall down if you step back from the renovation, so while you've got so much else to deal with just leave it. It will still be there when everything else has settled down, and you can take time for yourself and your family in the meantime.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I had some awful things happen over the summer and felt the way you describe. I was so shell shocked that I couldn't cry though I needed to.

What helped to an extent was having an afternoon on my own watching a smaltzy tear jerking movie. I still didn't manage to let the tears flow, but I'd given myself permission to feel wretched and for some reason that did help. I also read some online advice about recovering from a bereavement and getting over a break up (neither of which was what had happened to me but I rationalised I was feeling the same way) and that helped too because it helped me realise that this too will pass.

If you can call on some professional help do, but if you can't, finding a way to let the tears flow, and being able to own your feelings and realising that they will come and go, may bring you some comfort.

xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Grief affects you in ways you wouldn't believe. Go easy on yourself.
  • Concentrate on just getting through today. Concentrate on you, which means if you need to spend the weekend sleeping and crying, do it.

You have a new house which will be amazing in time; as long as there is a roof, windows and doors, toilet roll in the bathroom and somewhere to put a thermos flask of tea, anything else is a bonus. The house will still be there in a week, a fortnight or a month and you will get there in the end - the essential building work will just be a memory as you put the kettle on and make your Mum a cuppa when she visits you.

The parking ticket is frustrating. But hey, you made it into work, you took the delivery, something had to give when you're under so much stress. You likely won't do it again, but even if you do, it's just a slight slip in concentration. Don't beat yourself up about it.

This period of pressure and intense sorrow will ease. All you can do is try to deal with what you have to do Right Now and the rest can be dealt with at a later date.

Tomorrow - deal with that tomorrow. Concentrate upon what you need Today.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family