PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Morning all
    Hope everyone is as well as can be
    Mila, I love your list.
    GQ I'm sorry to hear about the missing ring-I hope it is a misunderstanding and turns up safe.
    No kondoing done this week but lots of jobs I'm currently half way through wood staining the fences for their pre winter maintenance. But the CS bag is filling nicely and I have a big bag of books and stuff to take over to my mums at half term.
    Have a good day all, I'll catch up later as very busy today.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,946
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    VJsmum wrote: »
    38 pair of 3d cinema glasses. 3 d makes Me feel sick...
    39 old watch of DDs I've been carrying around in my handbag when mine needed a new battery. The strap has broken on hers and its dearer to get a new strap than a new watch
    40. Pile of old receipts and money-off tokens from my handbag.

41 , 42 2 sim cards that were lurking in the bottom of DSs school bag for some reason
    43. a kiddies book, that was DSs, found lurking in a cupboard that is about to get the "shabby chic" treatment. Same cupboard houses tons of 'lego'. My kids never really took to lego but don't want me to get rid of it. Go figure
    44. A PS2 game, we are now onto PS4 and only then for FIFA (I hate FIFA, it definitely brings out the worst in DS)
    45. A DVD pub quiz game. Probably only ever played once in about 10 years
    46. a recorder from when kids were little. It never took off
    47. A caravan manual for a caravan we don't have
    48. A "Simply yoga" book. I don't do yoga at home
    49. an old manual for our BT visiion
    50. An old ruler that was lurking behind said cupboard
    51. an old contact lens (in its case) of DDs ditto

Still ploughin on. Still going to take a while.

I have 3 music stands. No-one in the house reads music (OH does a little, but doesn't need a stand). Not sure what to do with them. Ebay prices would give me about £10 - 15 in total. Would the chazzer want them?

I also have a bag of old SLR cameras and lenses of OH's that he has said can go. I keep thinking they might be worth selling - even though I am fairly sure they are not....
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

I also have a bag of old SLR cameras and lenses of OH's that he has said can go. I keep thinking they might be worth selling - even though I am fairly sure they are not....

Would be worth offering to a local college or school for their photography students. When DD1 was studying it they loved using different cameras for different projects.

Do check them first though, some lenses can be worth quite a bit. DH picked up on from a bootfair for £1 in the summer that he cleaned up and sold on for £120.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My dear friend just rang re arrangements for later today (traffic is horrendous due to roadworks so she is planning ahead). She is a lovely person and we hit it off as soon as we met 27 years ago. She is 25 years older than me but we have many interests in common and much the same attitude to life. Very often she rings me just as I was thinking of her, and vice versa.

Why am I posting this on KM thread? Have I gone off topic?

It ocurred to me that many of the eminently useful things in my house are things she has gifted to me over the years :eek:

My absolutely favourite-of-all-time dressing gown,
    A small rucksack that is also regularly in service (nothing fancy, not from a 'proper' outdoor shop, but sooooo useful).
    A fleece in a lovely pale lilac (very much 'my colour'),
    A small brown teapot that's the perfect size for a cup and a top up!
    A flask that I use in winter when I am between clients in a neightbouring town ...

...and the list could go on.

OK all the tiems are very practical, which reflects her attitude to Stuff, rather than fripperies, but they all add joy to my life and, of course, I think of her whenever I use them. :)

I shall see her later this afternoon and I shall tell her about the sparks of joy.

M

I
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,187
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    ... I have 3 music stands. No-one in the house reads music (OH does a little, but doesn't need a stand). Not sure what to do with them. Ebay prices would give me about £10 - 15 in total. Would the chazzer want them?....

How about a local school or church music group?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning all - I've come back off holiday with renewed zeal to get rid of 'stuff'. Managed to relieve DH of his archery clothing for a club he hasn't attended for at least 20 years. All washed and into the CS bag along with a book I'd read on holiday and delivered to CS yesterday afternoon. Fairly busy in RL so hitting the paperwork mountain in fits and starts. RoD is starting to look a bit clearer. Going to photograph a few items to try to sell on FB - not done it before but worth a try.
    Have a good day all x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Morning all,

Needing some Kondo advice from you experts...

I'm having a hard time getting rid of things. Not actually deciding to let go and discard, I mean just throwing them away. Don't get me wrong, all the clothes I have got rid of are in bags ready for the CS but it's everything else. I can't help but look at it all and see potential for selling and earning a few bob as opposed to binning them or giving them away for nout.

I remember in the book she mentions there is a great feeling with giving and I get that but I think the fact that much of this stuff got me into debt and now that I'm out of that situation I'd like it to try and help.

Should I take the time to sell these random bits and bobs?

Should I bin them?

Should I give them all to the CS?

Thanks in advance.
  • I'd try selling them Speky, provided they are 'easy' sellers.

The giving thing I see as ''something (anything) for the benefit of another that is done freely and without resentment or regret.''

In this way, we can see that we all freely give all day long, whether it's a smile or holding a door open or sympathising, or popping loose change into a charity pot, or taking bagsful of unwanted items to a donation point, or even just letting somebody else go first in a long queue.

In short, anything you do without regretting it, or calculating the cost of it, is giving. And that makes you feel good simply because it doesn't feel bad, if you see what I mean.

So you don't have to give away good stuff to feel good.

Having said that, it's easy to get stuck with selling. Almost as if once you've decided to sell something, then it can only go if it's sold.

So I'd say sell till you start to get impatient or fed up with the unsold remnants, then ditch those if it makes you feel better.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Speky - this has come up lots of times with lots of others here, so they will give you the benefit of their experience. However, think about:

1. Whether you have time to sell these random bits and bobs
    2. Whether they actually have enough value to compensate you for your time (search on ebay/gumtree/FB selling groups to see what they go for)
    3. How it makes you feel having them hanging about - you may find that when they go the negative feelings go with them.

You're debt free now, so although these items got you into debt, you got out of it without selling them. Maybe it's better to move on? And perhaps if you donated/freegled them you would help someone else avoid getting into debt.

It may also depend on the item concerned, but whatever you do, don't let the piles of 'stuff' that you're trying to let go hang around and continue to block your energy.
  • vi's mum
    i would sell the lego on eBay
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family