The International CallChecker discussion thread 2

Options

Comments

• dergsal
    Options
    Me too, very comprehensive, but difficult to get the info that used to be on callchecker . They say they havent included that list , only given three sites to look at .
    #
  • annecan
    annecan Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used 0044.com which quoted 1p/min calls to Australia when you dial 0843 014 0044 from my landline. When I got my bill from Virgin, the 30min call cost me £3 - ie 10p/min! Things aint as they seem...
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    call checker - wheres it gone?
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    theGrinch wrote: »
    call checker - wheres it gone?

There is not one anymore it has been removed all that is available is

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-overseas-calls
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    annecan wrote: »
    I have used 0044.com which quoted 1p/min calls to Australia when you dial 0843 014 0044 from my landline. When I got my bill from Virgin, the 30min call cost me £3 - ie 10p/min! Things aint as they seem...
    0044.com are required to tell you that calls incur their 1p per minute Service Charge plus an Access Charge set by your landline or mobile provider. The 1p per minute is the cost of the international leg of the call.

Virgin are required to tell you their Access Charge is 10.25p per minute if you call from a Virgin landline or 36p per minute if you call from a Virgin mobile. This is the cost of the UK leg of the call.

The new system came into effect on 1 July 2015 with a publicity campaign running for nine months both before and after the change.
  • Paddy_Landau
    Options
    I'm super-sad that the Call Checker has been removed. I have a package from Virgin Media that lets me use 08 numbers without extra charge, so the list was highly useful for me. Oh, well.
    A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. (Anon.)
  • Ian011
    Options
    MSE failed to keep the list up to date. For those who were unaware of how 084, 087 and 09 call costs had changed, it was doing more harm than good.

Now that call costs for 084, 087 and 09 numbers have been simplified, it would be good to see a fully updated tool return at some point in the future.
  • Snapelover
    Snapelover Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am sad Call Checker has gone and mega confused at what to do now.

We are with BT for our landline and have the free weekend calls.

Am I right in thinking I use the following:

Monday-Friday -

01/02/03 - 18185
    Mobiles - 18185
    084/087 - BT

Saturday/Sunday

01/02/03 - BT
    Mobiles - 18185
    084/087 - BT

If not, could someone please advise if anyone has an up to date easy to follow chart.

Thanks.
  • Ian011
    edited 22 June 2016 at 1:29PM
    Options
    For 084 and 087 numbers, use the provider with the lowest call costs, i.e. the lowest Access Charge. At the weekend, this is BT for 0845 and 0870 as they are 'inclusive' calls. At other times and for all other 084 and 087 numbers it is 18185.

Who are you calling on 084 and 087 numbers? Customer services, financial services, public services and healthcare services are no longer allowed to use these numbers. Most organisations have changed their 084 and 087 lines over to the matching 034 or 037 number, or to a new 01, 02, 030, 033 or 080 number.
  • Paddy_Landau
    Options
    An alternative is Dial123. I'm not sure if it's the cheapest, but it is cheap and certainly convenient, allowing calls to be made using your inclusive minutes on both mobiles and landlines, and providing quick-dial numbers. The downside is that it is prepay, but worth it in my opinion.

I have used it quite a lot, not so much for me but mainly for family members to be able to use when out and about.

It also allows calls to be made via broadband (so going overseas is no problem if you have WiFi) using Zoiper, available on nearly every platform (even Linux).

It probably isn't for everyone, but some people here will find it useful.
    A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. (Anon.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure