A good replacement for a Windows phone?

I was a late smartphone adopter and only got my first, second hand Lumia 635 (Windows Phone) back in 2015.

Although the apps available for Windows were always limited, it has generally done everything I needed it to do. The phone itself has held up well, although it has recently started to crash and reboot itself every day or two. But now WhatsApp is going to stop working on Windows Phone at the end of the year, and as much as I’d rather not use any Facebook apps I think I do need WA in order to keep up with my social life (such as it is). So looks like I need a replacement phone, and wondered if anyone had thoughts on what would be a good model. There are so many manufacturers and models I don’t really know where to start!

Priority is a good battery life and a strong phone that doesn’t mind being dropped a bit and will be good to use for 2-3 years at the very least.
Don’t want to spend much money – my old one cost £50 and that would be ideal ... I guess up to £150ish second hand would be OK, definitely SIM only, no contract.
Just need to use basic apps like Spotify (but since I think Android is going to be the default option this should be fine)
My favourite Windows phone feature has been the maps. Nokia maps were excellent – Bing maps are OK and crucially you can download them and use them without an internet connection, including directions, is there an Android maps app that does that?

Any MSE-friendly suggestions? Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    My favourite Windows phone feature has been the maps. Nokia maps were excellent – Bing maps are OK and crucially you can download them and use them without an internet connection, including directions, is there an Android maps app that does that?
    I use HERE maps (or HERE we go), which used to be related to Nokia I think. It works well offline and lets you download maps by country and region, so I use it for when I go to Spain or Mallorca.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Moto G7 Power is worth a look. Seems to be available for £159. Has a huge battery which should last a couple of days.

I like Google Maps .. I download maps when we're going abroad or could be away from data.
  • pineneedles
    pineneedles Posts: 45 Forumite
    Moto G7 Power is worth a look. Seems to be available for £159. Has a huge battery which should last a couple of days.

I like Google Maps .. I download maps when we're going abroad or could be away from data.

Brilliant, thanks, yes that one looks like what I'm after. Didn't know you could download Google Maps too, that's all right then.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Look at the Xiaomi Mi A2 and A2 lite. I got my daughter the A2 lite for £125 and it's pretty good for the money. The A2 now seems to be available for a very similar price. It has a better camera and Gorilla Glass.

I couldn't say how it compares to the G7.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure