Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• anna_p86
    anna_p86 Posts: 83 Forumite
    I applied for DSA in Feb this year. Have heard nothing but apparently they're processing forms.

I went to apply for student finance today & they say I already have an account. I phoned student finance & they have no record of me & don't know why the website is saying that.

So I can't log in now :mad: They can't figure out why & are going to post the finance forms too me.

Just needed a rant but am very concerned that my application is not going to go through
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    After much difficulty my daughter did hers online. She just put my earnings in , forgot to put her Fathers in, even though has said living with both, couldnt get back in. Will we get confirmation that it is incomplete and an opportunity to correct this, or should we ring tomorrow? Thanks
  • Hi
    I've just been turned down by the OU financial support dept for help to take a degree course with them. I'm currently recieving JSA so thought there would be no problem. The problem is because I had started a degree course at Uni last Sept but had to leave after a few weeks due to some health & family problems & so had recieved some money from student finance. I've had a letter from them saying that they've overpayed me £626 (by way of a grant.) I've offered to make repayments to them but apparently I can't get any help until I've paid this overpayment off in full.
    I always fully intended to pay this back but it's obviously difficult when I only get £65 per week. & it seems unfair that I'm unable to continue my education for they sake of a few hundred pounds when most students owe them thousands.
    I'd be so grateful for any suggestions - I'm really upset about this.
    x
  • supermum4
    supermum4 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi my son is trying to apply online for student finance when it asks him if he wants to include his parents earnings does he need to put yes and add this or is it calculated on his own income? he lives at home and will be 21 in jan at the moment he is claiming JSA, he will be moving away from home to study at uni sorry for all the questions but we are confused by the online system mind you it doesn't take much in my case lol. thanks for any advice you may have cheers
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    supermum4 wrote: »
    Hi my son is trying to apply online for student finance when it asks him if he wants to include his parents earnings does he need to put yes and add this or is it calculated on his own income? he lives at home and will be 21 in jan at the moment he is claiming JSA, he will be moving away from home to study at uni sorry for all the questions but we are confused by the online system mind you it doesn't take much in my case lol. thanks for any advice you may have cheers
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Gettingstarted/DG_171579

this has details on whether he's counted as dependent or independent. it looks (to me) like he still is dependent and that means he should put your income in there (if he wants the income assessed part).
    :happyhear
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd say still dependent, so should be declaring parents income.
  • supermum4
    supermum4 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Gettingstarted/DG_171579

this has details on whether he's counted as dependent or independent. it looks (to me) like he still is dependent and that means he should put your income in there (if he wants the income assessed part).

thanks for the advice and the link it's much appreciated, it looks like we need to put our income in so will do that now and get this sorted:beer:.
  • Hi ive posted a thread not sure if it is in the correct place, my son has applied for the first yr student, his father and i are divorced, if i was to meet a new partner do i declare this for future years or does it count on the first yr of application i hope you understand what i mean , thank's.
  • caz07
    caz07 Posts: 141 Forumite
    hi SLC worker, I'm coming up to the end of my first year of uni, but im wanting to transfer to a different uni for personal reasons, ive already had an acceptance from a different university so thats all sorted. Would I need to complete a change of circumstances form to tell SLC about the change of university and course and would this effect my student finance? or would my application just move over to the new university? And would i need my current university to transfer me. please help

thanks in advance
  • antonia1
    antonia1 Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post
    Hiya, my father was made redundant in January 2010, and his redundancy money isn't distinguished from his salary on his P60. How will this affect my student loan, as his redundancy was high (had been working there for 20 years) but it is all gone as he didn't manage to find a new job for almost 12 months.
    :A If saving money is wrong, I don't want to be right. William Shatner

CC1 [STRIKE] £9400 [/STRIKE] £9300
    CC2 [STRIKE] £800 [/STRIKE] £750
    OD [STRIKE] £1350 [/STRIKE] £1150
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills