Daughter denied access to smart saver account opened by parents.

My husband and I opened a Smart Saver account for my daughter 17 years ago. Any cash received for birthdays or Christmas has been saved in the account. This weekend I went to pay a cheque in to be informed that her name is no longer on the account! It is shown on the passbook but for some reason not on the computer system, so I could not pay in a cheque made out to her by name. How could this be possible? All the correct documents were presented when we opened it - birth certificate, passports etc. How can the main account holder be removed from the account? The best my local branch can offer is that we close the account and open a new one in her name! Fortunately as trustee’s we can still do this but if we had left it until she was 18 then who knows what problems she would face. I’m furious and in light of GDPR, this feels like fraud in reverse! Anyone able to advise what I should expect from building society manager later this week? Do I have a legitimate complaint? It certainly feels like it. Is it worth making a fuss about? Thanks

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It's called a mistake

It can be rectified as you say

Are you looking for compensation or something ?
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Expect them to close the account in your name and open one in your daughters name.
    Make a fuss if you want but you have not actually lost anything.
  • SamP33
    SamP33 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Not after compensation just an explanation of how something like this could happen. If it was your account with your ‘life savings’ and you were told, “Sorry you have no access to that account”, would you calmly call it ‘just a mistake’?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think £25-£50 would be in order for their gross negligence and the hassle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure