BA Codeshare with AA?

OK, if I book a flight on BA website, its coming up as an American Airlines booking, albeit on a BA flight anyway.

Will I then have, in effect, booked with AA? i.e. any customer service issues I need to speak to AA not BA?

Reason is wife has mobility issues and BA are usually very good at sorting out seat assignments. Not so sure if its down to AA.
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OK, if I book a flight on BA website, its coming up as an American Airlines booking, albeit on a BA flight anyway.

I'm not sure I understand? On the BA website, if it is a BA flight, it will have the British Airways logo. If it's showing the American Airlines logo, then it will be an American Airlines flight (even though it will have a BA**** flight number).

If you book on the British Airways website, then your booking will be with British Airways, and they handle the booking and all customer services. You will be able to choose seat assignments and request special assistant (if necessary) via BA. Although note that seat assignments (and whether they are chargeable etc will be down to American's policy)
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If it is an AA plane & you have booked through BA, then any issues will be via BA
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    When we book with BA to Philadelphia the link goes through to AA. we can usually choose our seats immediately.

We've always found them very helpful.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Its booked on BA.com, coming up as AA operated buy BA (with a BA flight no)
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,101 Forumite
    paulfoel wrote: »
    Its booked on BA.com, coming up as AA operated buy BA (with a BA flight no)

If it's showing as AA operated (i.e. it shows the American Airlines logo, and lists American under "Airline" in flight details) then it is an American Airlines flight. The BA flight number is just the codeshare.

As posted above, customer service for the booking would be handled by British Airways (including any special assistance requests etc). If you wish to choose seats, it will likely link you to the AA website where you'll be able to choose seats (subjects to American's T&Cs).
  • smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've got a trip booked and flights are with BA from LHR to Miami, outbound flight is an AA flight but all rest are BA, it's because they all codeshare and quite often on departure or arrival screens you will see the flight details changing several times. I've used this before to check with the individual airlines for different prices as sometimes, although it's the same plane and trip you can sometimes get the flight cheaper(been a while though!)
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • I have a code share flight. I've booked with BA from Heathrow to Miami.
    Outbound is a BA flight inbound is an American Airlines flight. I currently only have cabin luggage, the cabin bag size is larger with BA than AA, will I have problems when I return or will they use BA sizes?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    cabin baggage is always the operating carrier. BA sizes for the outbound and AA sizing for the return
    If your bag is too big for the return your options would be to
    find a bag that fits the cabin baggage size for AA and use it for the trip
    book hold luggage for cabin bag on the way back
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Things to be aware of if booking an AA flight through the BA website:

You are flying on AA. You go to the AA check in / bag drop desks.

AA often operate from a different terminal to BA

If you are flying from the US to the UK, EU261 does not apply.

You handle seat reservations through the AA website. AA will probably have a different booking reference, but you should be able to get that through the BA website. Unless you have status, AA are more generous with free seat allocation than BA. You can see what seats are available before you choose which flight you want. You can select some seats free of charge at the time of booking.

If I was doing a round trip on AA, I would book on the AA website. You can still get Avios and Tier Points credited to your BA account. The only reason to book AA flights via BA is if you need qualifying flights to earn or keep status in BA Executive Club.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Just for a bit of reassurance for the op I've flown with both AA and BA. Given the choice I would go with AA every time. I found them to be much more helpful and a far superior service to BA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure