MSE News: Santander sends thousands of statements to wrong addresses

Comments

• nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    The fine is likely to be in the region of 3 to 4 million pounds.

For data protection breaches, in my opinion that's not even close to being enough.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • Spoke to someone in the print industry & he said Santander used a reputable british owned mailing house in Milton Keynes for about 20 years - very close to their head office. They moved the statement printing in December to a large American owned outfit in London (probably to save money) and put the other company out of business and cost 100 people lost their jobs! Merry Christmas!! :mad:

So, looks like the new lot have screwed up & Santander demonstrate once again that loyalty & service count for nothing!! I hope the fine is much larger than whatever amount they thought they were saving. Bunch of amateurs... :T
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 428
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think Santander deserve this for refusing to offer a paper-free statement service (don't know about A&L or B&B).
  • The fine is likely to be in the region of 3 to 4 million pounds.
    According to one of the posts above, Santander should be giving £100 x 35,000 to the customers = £3,500,000!

If only Santander gave out £100 every time they'd made a mistake. I could quit my job :rotfl:!
  • This is not the first time Santander have screwed up paper statements.
    about 2/3 years ago, they changed computer systems for then Abbey customers. In order to do this, they had to migrate every account from the old system to the new one and they didn't tell anyone, they just went ahead and did it.

My Wife's account had it's address migrated incorrectly to a completely different address. I can't even remember how we picked up on it, but in the end a formal complaint returned some compensation, but I can't remember how much, around £90? I think.

In my line of work a screw-up like that in a major data migration would have resulted in a huge catastrophe, and would have been tested and tested and checked before going live. Not so Abbey
    Seems, they haven't learnt their lesson then...
  • barak
    barak Posts: 1,258
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gerrymclean1's story sounds credible and, if true, Santander may well recover costs of this fiasco from the "large American owned outfit in London" who appear to have failed under their contract probably by incorrectly "stuffing" [technical term] more than one person's statement into the same envelope.

The "stuffing" is done automatically but machines have to be set up correctly - for example - to recognise multi-page statements and, as Mikeyorks has suggested and in my experience from times past, each printing/stuffing batch would be paused after starting to check that the process was working correctly before continuing.

All speculation, of course!
    ".....where it is corrupt, purge it....."
  • Santander are an utter shower!

I needed my bank statements back in November for my mortgage application. Ordered them from the call centre only to be told later that no record of the call had been made! Had to rely on other means which were of course time consuming.
    Another time, I was persuaded to pay a cheque in the box in the branch. Then I get a call asking me to come into the branch because the sort code was unrecognisable! Bunch of idiots! Of course this was due to the merger. Did no one think of training the staff? Then there's my branch which is stuffed with people who mean well but are utterly incompetent and are in full 'it's not me 'guv' even before you have a chance to ask something!

Then recently I went in to withdraw money and the clerk couldn't locate me on the system! She also didn't understand the new sort code. But she was happy to chat away about a load of rubbish such as where she gets her telephone service from! I'm standing there being polite and she is wittering away.

I hate this bank and can't wait to move next year YIPPEEEE!
  • Former_MSE_Guy
    Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650
    I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    edited 23 December 2010 at 5:36PM
    Hi folks,
    Here's the latest on the mess.

"Customers whose paperwork was sent to the wrong address will be entitled to up to £100 each ..."
  • magoogy
    magoogy Posts: 2,961
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    is there anything i should do to ensure noone gets my money out of my account?????? my statement hasnt come yet and im worried sick its gone to someone else and they may try empty my account over christmas......
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    magoogy wrote: »
    is there anything i should do to ensure noone gets my money out of my account?????? my statement hasnt come yet and im worried sick its gone to someone else and they may try empty my account over christmas......

Why are you worried? It's a statement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport