Purchased used suspension for my car. Will I be OK?

Hi

I recently found out my 56 reg Mazda RZ8 PZ does not come with the OEM suspension but instead the standard dampers and springs. To avoid any insurance issues and to have the benefit of the PZ suspension I approahed Mazda main dealer and for all four springs and shocks it's a staggering £1800 plus VAT. I came across a used set on Ebay for £250 and it came off a RX8 PZ that did around 65k miles. It looks in decent condition with no real corrosion so should I be ok? It kit is already assembled with all fixings and my mechanic is charging £200 including VAT to remove existing suspension and fit. Does this sound reasonable?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Who knows the £250 set could need replacing very soon after. Then you will have wasted £450 and still need new suspension.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• sebloak
    sebloak Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I was once quoted around £400 to change both front shock absorbers on a nissan micra from 2 garages, so £200 for the whole lot to be changed sounds reasonable. The only thing i'd be worried about is that the set your fitting has already done 65k miles and could still be quite heavily worn despite how it looks on the outside.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Secondhand anything is always something of a gamble.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just leave the current suspension as it is. It won't be long before you've written the car off.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    "To avoid any insurance issues" - are you assuming as it has not got the standard PZ suspension but has standard, it will be an insurance issue? Is or was there an option when the car was new to not to have the PZ suspension?

I have seen on many cars, when new, that have a sports suspension, you can, at no cost revert to normal suspension as it gives that better ride. Maybe the original owner did that? If thats the case, perfectly legit.
  • peter12345678910
    peter12345678910 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 4:38PM
    As this is a money saving forum the advice is to keep the suspension that you already have on the car and enjoy the extra comfort and sport suspensions are not designed for comfort but for racing so a normal suspension would affect handling.

But if I was in a sports car forum I would say what the heck, I am going to shine these springs till they look new and drive like starsky and hutch.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If the suspension you've got is OK keep it. At 65,000 miles the shock absorbers of the second hand ones you've found will be nearing end of life.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well, whenever you buy a used car you are buying a used suspension, so there is nothing inherently bad about it.

However, 65k is quite a high mileage and if the sports suspension has been ridden hard, then it may be past its best and so buying it won't have been a good financial decision if you need to replace is within 12 months.

£200 in mechanics fees seems very reasonable.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    prowla wrote: »
    Well, whenever you buy a used car you are buying a used suspension, so there is nothing inherently bad about it.

And depending on the car the suspension may well need changing.

Personally I wouldn't entertain fitting some used shocks that are likely to be performing significantly worse than they should. It could be worth a little research as to who makes the OEM parts and if they are available elsewhere...

On my current car the Saab stamped suspension is made by Sachs, you can get an identical part for half the price by buying from them.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family