Won't allow download of purchased video to a computer

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's no different to pre-digital delivery. 'Buying' the original film on VHS doesn't mean that you are later entitled to a free DVD version, and then a download.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • moflint
    moflint Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    It's no different to pre-digital delivery. 'Buying' the original film on VHS doesn't mean that you are later entitled to a free DVD version, and then a download.
    Sit 10 people down in a room and ask them what they think it means to BUY something. Many of us grew up buying tapes, then DVDs. We knew we didn't own it in the sense that we could copy it and sell it or even give away copies. It was understood. But we own a license of the CONTENT - not the medium by which it is transferred or stored. If it is otherwise then I say there is something deceptive about their use of the word BUY or PURCHASE.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moflint wrote: »
    Sit 10 people down in a room and ask them what they think it means to BUY something. Many of us grew up buying tapes, then DVDs. We knew we didn't own it in the sense that we could copy it and sell it or even give away copies. It was understood. But we own a license of the CONTENT - not the medium by which it is transferred or stored. If it is otherwise then I say there is something deceptive about their use of the word BUY or PURCHASE.

When you bought a DVD or VHS then you knew you were allowed to watch it by playing that specific DVD or VHS.

When you bought the films using the online service you knew you were allowed to watch them by streaming them or downloading them to mobile devices.

So why do you suddenly think you should be allowed to now download them to your PC?. That would be something extra that you haven't paid for.
  • munchpot
    munchpot Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Negotiating rights with studios is a bloody nightmare and you'll probably find that the rights Talk Talk originally had were for Streaming or On Demand.

This would normally allow you to download to a device for a specific amount of time (like the iPlayer's 30 days etc)

You have 'bought' a licence to view the films via Talk Talk (and subsequently Rakuten TV.. I f the rights terms negotiated were that it's played via their app then that's all you'll be allowed to do

Believe me there are some studios that take rights restrictions to device levels - eg you can watch content on an X-Box but not a playstation as Sony could be a competing distributor!
  • moflint
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    When you bought the films using the online service you knew you were allowed to watch them by streaming them or downloading them to mobile devices.
    No, I didn't. As I have previously said in this thread, Blinkbox used to allow downloads to computers and most of my purchases were with Blinkbox.
  • moflint
    Options
    munchpot wrote: »
    Negotiating rights with studios is a bloody nightmare and you'll probably find that the rights Talk Talk originally had were for Streaming or On Demand.

This would normally allow you to download to a device for a specific amount of time (like the iPlayer's 30 days etc)

You have 'bought' a licence to view the films via Talk Talk (and subsequently Rakuten TV.. I f the rights terms negotiated were that it's played via their app then that's all you'll be allowed to do

Believe me there are some studios that take rights restrictions to device levels - eg you can watch content on an X-Box but not a playstation as Sony could be a competing distributor!
    So why do we use these services? Are they so convenient we can't call at the shop and pick up a DVD for the same price? I won't be "buying" from these services in future, I'd rather have a physical copy.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moflint wrote: »
    No, I didn't. As I have previously said in this thread, Blinkbox used to allow downloads to computers and most of my purchases were with Blinkbox.

Then that begs the question why do you not already have them all on your PC already if you were able to download them?.

If Blinkbox allowed you to download to your PC then as soon as you heard it was being closed/transferred to another provider the sensible thing would have been to download all your films just in case.

Also are you sitting in front of your PC watching these films? If it's not connected to your tv you can a stick that plugs into your TV for £30 or less to stream them to.
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    So why do we use these services? Are they so convenient we can't call at the shop and pick up a DVD for the same price? I won't be "buying" from these services in future, I'd rather have a physical copy.

This is the exact reason why I have a collection of DVDs and blurays, because I want physical copies I can watch without having to be online.
    That said, with a bit of technical knowledge it is possible to run an android environment on your PC or laptop, using the "kit" that developers use to test their software. Then you could add the rakuten app to your pc and use that to download and view the movies. I can't recommend a specific program as I've not done this myself, but there is an official version from android studios.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • moflint
    Options
    This is the exact reason why I have a collection of DVDs and blurays, because I want physical copies I can watch without having to be online.
    That said, with a bit of technical knowledge it is possible to run an android environment on your PC or laptop, using the "kit" that developers use to test their software. Then you could add the rakuten app to your pc and use that to download and view the movies. I can't recommend a specific program as I've not done this myself, but there is an official version from android studios.
    Thanks - that's a good idea regarding the dev environment. I'll give it a look. Cheers.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 1:09AM
    Options
    MB69 wrote: »
    Is Rakuten owned by Play.com or vice versa!

Terrible company, terrible service!

if you download to ios, can you not then just take it off it? Do you have to use a special app to watch the films?

Rakuten owns Play.com, they bought it out a few years ago. I worked in London for Play.com just before the merge. Then I went up to the North East to another non-related company (but one which was kept in the loop with Rakuten). Let me be absolutely clear here; Play.com was an inherently GOOD company.

Play.com was a really good company to work for BUT it had a "Toys R Us" element to it in that the model wasn't sustainable. Cue Rakuten, a japanese company which wanted to be in the top 3 (if I recall correctly; that powerpoint presentation bores me just thinking about it) in the UK market, rivaling Ebay and Amazon. Kudos to them for branching into TalkTalk like, but sod me I feel like it is just a case of a poor company selling rights to another poor company here. Mind you, I say that but does anyone here watch Kobo? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure