Force Internet Service Providers to allow capped allowance usage

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is, telecoms in Hull are a 100+ year old historical anacronism. The council owned telephone company didn't get nationalised into the GPO like everywhere else. It was actually good for the people of Hull at the start of the broadband revolution as Kingston rolled it out very early on while the rest of us were stuck paying call charges on dialup.

At any other telephone exchange in the country there is a choice of ISPs, even if there are no LLU providers, because the BT backhaul networks are present at all exchanges and there are many ISPs that offer services over them.

I do agree you should have the option for the connection to just stop when you hit your quota rather than running up over-use bills.

but how do you force it?
  • darkovo
    darkovo Posts: 209 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    but how do you force it?

Refer to original post:
    Following on from the new rules to allow mobile customers to limit their bills:
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-rules-to-allow-mobile-customers-to-limit-their-bills

The mobile operators are doing it now, it's an option for the customer to set, you obviously aren't interested in wanting this option but I obviously am.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    but how do you force it?

ISTR plusnet tried that or similar about 15 years ago. You would suddenly find you had no throughput or the throughput got limited to worse than dial-up as you had hit your limit. Customers (me being one of them) left in their droves.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    darkovo wrote: »
    Refer to original post:
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-rules-to-allow-mobile-customers-to-limit-their-bills

The mobile operators are doing it now, it's an option for the customer to set, you obviously aren't interested in wanting this option but I obviously am.

thats an issue across all networks/UK.
    This is an issue affecting one provider in one area.
    so have you requested it and what was the response? perhaps they should just offer one unlimited package?
  • darkovo
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    ISTR plusnet tried that or similar about 15 years ago. You would suddenly find you had no throughput or the throughput got limited to worse than dial-up as you had hit your limit. Customers (me being one of them) left in their droves.

Nothing to do with this.
    This mobile cap (in this instance) is set by the customer and can be turned on and off at will, the bill paying customer is in control. The same should be put in place for broadband customers.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 11:39AM
    Options
    Which mobile provider let's you switch on and off a cap at will? And what would be the point?

The way I read the Ofcom article is that you can set a limit of your quota plus £x. I don't see that working for broadband because downloads tend to be larger. You will still get totally cut off when you reach your new limit. As Plusnet found, that is a killer system when it comes to keeping customers on broadband.

A better answer is for those people who are not willing to pay for a plan that meets their requirements, who end up paying the odds for the extra, is to get a router that you can set quotas on or, shock horror! set ground rules for the use of the connection and enforce them. Most ISPs give you real time usage figures so be pro active instead of expecting somebody else to solve your self imposed problem.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    darkovo wrote: »
    Nothing to do with this.
    This mobile cap (in this instance) is set by the customer and can be turned on and off at will, the bill paying customer is in control. The same should be put in place for broadband customers.

Let's say you get your wish and Kcom put a cap in place, what will you say when your internet gets stopped or reduced to a Giffgaff like crawl so you can barely load an email up let alone stream content or play online games?
  • darkovo
    Options
    thats an issue across all networks/UK.
    This is an issue affecting one provider in one area.
    so have you requested it and what was the response? perhaps they should just offer one unlimited package?

It really isn't, Hull is unique from my ISP availability point of view, but I can still see the benefit for other ISP customers that are also not on unlimited packages, ie. unaware customers having the grandkids to stay could easily see a bill rise of multiple £10's because they only have a 30GB limit per month and weren't aware the littleuns phones and tablets could do so much.

Yes requested many times, they just aren't interested, saying I can monitor usage with my account logon and email alerts, which I have to do.

Yes unlimited should be the norm now, too much of a money maker for the ISP.
  • darkovo
    Options
    Which mobile provider let's you switch on and off a cap at will? And what would be the point?

All of them now, see this blah blah blah:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

They all have to shortly to stop bill shock although as pointed out elsewhere it won't stop the scammers. You'd probably have to phone up to activate it anyway so I'd have thought it was pretty much a one shot deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure