New baby on the way

Options
Hi Guys.

First post on the forum, so here goes....

I have split up with my wife a few years ago now and i am paying her monthly an agreed amount inline with the Child Maintenance Calculator. Myself and my new partner are expecting our first child together which will obviously mean another dependent and the payments will go down.

The question is, when do the payments change? Do they change now, before the baby is born, or does the baby have to be born before they change.

I know this may sound as though i dont want to provide for my current child, this is not the case at all.

thanks in advance,

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    any adjustments for another child would be from when the baby is born
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you pay via CMS assessment or private agreement in line with the CM calculator?

If it's a private agreement you can change or end it whenever you both no longer agree but it would probably be a good idea to discuss with your ex first. If you have managed to agree amicably up until now it suggests you have a good relationship so don't risk spoiling it.
  • L00PY
    Options
    thanks for the replies. I pay via private agreement based on the CM calculator, and things are relatively amicable so it does look like a discussion is on the card...

Thanks again.
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe it is from when the birth is registered. The CMS would check for this, so without it they wouldn't take your word.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sibz wrote: »
    I believe it is from when the birth is registered. The CMS would check for this, so without it they wouldn't take your word.

It's a private arrangement, so the CMS doesn't get involved at all.
  • Sibz
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    It's a private arrangement, so the CMS doesn't get involved at all.

Still, they have been using the CMS calculator to workout how much to pay. I reckon this is to keep themselves right. So if the OP is also wanting to change the amount at the right time according to the CMS - it would be as above.

Not sure if the CMS operate the same way as the CSA used in that you'd think thee was an agreement only for the ex to lie and you to get shafted with backdated bills from the CSA.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

That’s literally not what happens. Children are born all around the world...
  • Sibz
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    That’s literally not what happens. Children are born all around the world...

You'd better let CMS know then as that's what they told me, as I have a child on the way... and I doubt the child that the OP is expecting is likely to arrive in Zanzibar
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Not sure if the CMS operate the same way as the CSA used in that you'd think thee was an agreement only for the ex to lie and you to get shafted with backdated bills from the CSA.

Then make sure all payments are made by a traceable source, preferably bank transfer, perhaps with the legend "re agreed child support". Then keep all the bank statements.

With CMS, claims can't be backdated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport