Does this equity portfolio make sense?

13»

Comments

• You can own all these various types of bonds if you simply go for a broader bond index tracker. Take a look at the components of the tracker and how they are weighted. This really does not need to be difficult.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    Why have you picked higher risk equities for some of your portfolio despite them having a higher potential for loss?

The ETFs I originally mentioned were ones I saw recommended for UK expats, but I wasn't aware they are considered higher risk. I was led to believe that given the right length of time and patience, they would provide steady growth over the longterm. I have often seen VWRL and VUKE talked about on this forum and others as a good choice. Clearly I have lot more reading to do.
    You can own all these various types of bonds if you simply go for a broader bond index tracker. Take a look at the components of the tracker and how they are weighted. This really does not need to be difficult.

If I understand correctly, the tracker might include a mix of government, corporate, high-yield bonds, etc? Are there any ETFs of that ilk that you would recommend?

Please forgive me if these questions seem silly, but I find it very confusing when I see thousands of different ETFs listed, not to mention trying to learn all the terminology.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 October 2018 at 6:54PM
    The ETFs I originally mentioned were ones I saw recommended for UK expats, but I wasn't aware they are considered higher risk. I was led to believe that given the right length of time and patience, they would provide steady growth over the longterm. I have often seen VWRL and VUKE talked about on this forum and others as a good choice. Clearly I have lot more reading to do.

If I understand correctly, the tracker might include a mix of government, corporate, high-yield bonds, etc? Are there any ETFs of that ilk that you would recommend?

Please forgive me if these questions seem silly, but I find it very confusing when I see thousands of different ETFs listed, not to mention trying to learn all the terminology.

Don't limit yourself to ETFs do you really need their intra-day trading. Vanguard do a global bond index that might be useful.

Don't get confused by all the funds available. If you are sticking to index funds they should all be pretty similar. Look for something with low expenses from a reputable company so Vanguard, L&G, HSBC etc. Work on your asset allocation and then use whatever index funds you like to get there. Coming up with an asset allocation that is comfortable and works for your goals is more important than the funds you actually use when you are in the index tracker universe.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Don't limit yourself to ETFs do you really need their intra-day trading. Vanguard do a global bond index that might be useful.

As the OP is an expat, ETFs can be easier to access than "funds". Although if they're in the EEA than the Vanguard Irish-domiciled funds are worth looking at.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As the OP is an expat, ETFs can be easier to access than "funds". Although if they're in the EEA than the Vanguard Irish-domiciled funds are worth looking at.

OK good point
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure