The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Help please, Volvo V40 Error message

so I bought a 2015 v40 last month everything has been fine except it constantly giving me an error message "reduced engine performance" on the display. it does not affect driving at all no loss of power or anything. and the message comes on and off it disappears after a day or to or just after restarting the engine.

I ran a diagnostic scan myself with a Bluetooth OBDii but by then I didn't quite understand it so I simply quickly had a look the error code (didn't even write it down) because I still have warranty with the dealer thought they would pick the code up anyway. however when I took my car to them they did not detect any error from diagnostic scan. Please note the message even came up the day before I took my car to them.

I understand the OBD tool might have cleared the code after scanning but afterwards the message came up again. So I wonder, if there's any millage limit or time limit I have to scan it to get an error code before it disappears? I did drive around 100 miles after seeing the message and before the dealer check it.

This is driving me crazy the message comes up now and then constantly! any suggestions would be appreciated! cheers

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    henryluyu wrote: »
    so I bought a 2015 v40 last month everything has been fine except it constantly giving me an error message "reduced engine performance" on the display. it does not affect driving at all no loss of power or anything. and the message comes on and off it disappears after a day or to or just after restarting the engine.

I ran a diagnostic scan myself with a Bluetooth OBDii but by then I didn't quite understand it so I simply quickly had a look the error code (didn't even write it down) because I still have warranty with the dealer thought they would pick the code up anyway. however when I took my car to them they did not detect any error from diagnostic scan. Please note the message even came up the day before I took my car to them.

I understand the OBD tool might have cleared the code after scanning but afterwards the message came up again. So I wonder, if there's any millage limit or time limit I have to scan it to get an error code before it disappears? I did drive around 100 miles after seeing the message and before the dealer check it.

This is driving me crazy the message comes up now and then constantly! any suggestions would be appreciated! cheers

Which is it? Now and then OR constantly? It can't be both.

Have you noticed any pattern to when it happens (hard acceleration/engine cold/engine warm)?

Have you tried a Volvo specific forum, it could be a known issue with an easy fix?
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

This means that the car has gone in to limp mode but by restarting the engine you clear it for a bit untill the thing is that is causing the limp mode triggers it again etc.....

Best thing to do is take it to a decent garage and get them do read the codes peoperly via the diagnostic machine and take it from there there no real point in guessing or asking here as limp mode can be caused by lots of thimgs
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    Forumite
    Reduced engine performance yet you have not noticed the loss in power?

Throttle is the pedal on the right. If you use that you would notice.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,386
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Did you take it to a Volvo dealer? They should have been able to read historical fault codes even if they're no longer lit.

The newer Volvos seem to be having trouble with EGR valves and O2 sensors. Volvo have been fixing them free of charge.

This is a useful owners forum:-

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194&order=desc&page=2
  • Reduced engine performance yet you have not noticed the loss in power?

Throttle is the pedal on the right. If you use that you would notice.

No, for me it drives the same with or without any error message on screen.
    Not taxi driver but have done nearly 40000 miles on various cars.
  • ratrace wrote: »
    This means that the car has gone in to limp mode but by restarting the engine you clear it for a bit untill the thing is that is causing the limp mode triggers it again etc.....

Best thing to do is take it to a decent garage and get them do read the codes peoperly via the diagnostic machine and take it from there there no real point in guessing or asking here as limp mode can be caused by lots of thimgs

The problem is the car did not seem to affected at all with this message on the screen, so not in "limp mode". I called Volvo they quoted a diagnostic scan for 120 quid which is a bit too much especially I still have warranty from my dealer. So I'm asking around to see if I did anything wrong or if there's any way to get hold of the error code in the car computer.
  • ratrace
    Forumite
    The problem is the car did not seem to affected at all with this message on the screen, so not in "limp mode". I called Volvo they quoted a diagnostic scan for 120 quid which is a bit too much especially I still have warranty from my dealer. So I'm asking around to see if I did anything wrong or if there's any way to get hold of the error code in the car computer.

Why are you calling volvo for? i said in my last post find a decent local garage who can put it on their diag machine such as snap on etc.... volvo main dealers are expensive for seems like a minor issue if the reduced power is not affecting performance according to you them it dosent seem like its a big job, any decent garage could get to the bottom of it it could be as simple as the egr valve sticking sometimes etc....
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • ratrace
    Forumite

Yes there is take the car to a garage who has a decent machine and get them to read the codes should be around £30 or so

Rat Race
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You need to get this to a garage for proper diagnosis

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192912

Could be many things it seems
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories