Redundancy while off sick

I am employed by a large insurance company and I have been off sick from work for the past couple of months with stress/depression. While I've been off I've come to the realisation that the illness is probably work related and I've come to the decision that I will start looking for jobs away from the company.

I've been told by a friend who also does my role that there have been strong rumours that redundancies will be announced at the end of September. If the rumours were true, would I be offered a redundancy package as I'm off ill as I have worked for the company for 13 years and the redundancy package is 3weeks salary for every year worked and would I be required to be employed or work through the notice period which is 12 weeks as I have an interview lined up for early October and I'm unsure they would be willing to wait the 12 weeks for me to start. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Comments

• No one can say other than the company. They might offer you redundacy they may not. It will be up to the business to decide if they think the poistion isn't required anymore, then you should get redundancy or they could offer you another position elsewhere.

If they go for redundancy they can't refill that position for, I think it's 6 to 12 months. Most companies get around it by just creating a new job title, I've seen it happen where I worked.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    joeypesci wrote: »
    No one can say other than the company. They might offer you redundacy they may not. It will be up to the business to decide if they think the poistion isn't required anymore, then you should get redundancy or they could offer you another position elsewhere.

If they go for redundancy they can't refill that position for, I think it's 6 to 12 months. Most companies get around it by just creating a new job title, I've seen it happen where I worked.

If there is a business case they can refill immediately,
    many might wait 3 months to avoid ET.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Often you can get a guide what a company may do from the history if they have made redundancies before.

The extremes are PILON for everyone except if needed for specific task/handover, everyone works notice.

The former option is also often used to get a clean break so you don't have people leaving over a period of time if they have differnt notice periods.

DO not tell anyone you are looking to leave to easy for the company to avoid paying out redundancy(although many are more generous in these situations and don't get all mean).
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    More likely they'll manage you out via the absence management policy.

Even if redundancies are announced at the end of September you've then got the consultation period. I'd expect it to be Christmas before anything solid is decided. That would match neatly with people finishing at the financial year end.
  • Thanks for your help with this one, a friend who also works for the company was recently offered and offered redeployment as soon as it was announced with a notice period of 12 weeks. In terms of the sickness policy I get 6 months full pay but the manager I worked for was getting to me too much hence me going off with stress. I've had 2 absences over the 13 years I've been there so it wasn't a decision I took lightly however it was my union rep and a colleague who mentioned it would be worth while taking the time off and being off has been mind numbing which is why I made the decision to start looking for other jobs. Going back into work is just not worth while as I was having panic attacks in the car when I arrived. Obviously if nothing's announced then I will just leave with notice but it was just something I needed clarity on before making any hasty decisions as I would lose out on circa 27k
  • Would it be possible to leave with immediate effect if notified of redundancy as I'm unlikely to return to work within the notice period?
  • Only if the company allows it...there is a thing of counter notice but it has strict conditions.

Also, bear in mind they may also just wait you out and not offer it and also you could offer a settlement agreement where you'd be willing to take less money for a clean break and they'd be happy to get rid of you and save some money against the redundancy pay
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure