Urgent help needed (bank accounts)

Comments

• Jogle
    Jogle Posts: 51 Forumite
    How new was the Nationwide account?

I don't know if Nationwide do it, but some banks give customers accounts before fully completing their checks. If they then find that you aren't the sort of customer that they would like, they then close it.

Could it be that Nationwide closed the account after doing their checks and finding other things in your history (nothing to do with the lost card and deposited money) and that you can't get an account elsewhere is because fo the pre-existing history?
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    @ OP. Get a pre-paid debit card from Pockit or Revolut. You'll also be given a sort-code and account number so that your wages can come in. Adding money to these cards may be tricky, especially if you haven't got an active debit card, but I think you can send money across via a text/SMS payment.

Also listen to people's advice on here...get the report.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Ahmsbelkz wrote: »
    Yes that is what happened. He tried to use my account to do transfers or something like that I wasnt given full information but the amount was £1300. That is my story and how else am a I going to report it other than what actually happened?! I was the victim but is the one viewed as the fraudulant by nationwide who flagged me and denied it. Im just worried I wont ever be able to get this flag removed...can anyone answer me, would cashplus be an alternative until this is sorted?

Yes cashplus is an alternative until you have sorted this.

Have you paid the £10 fee and sent your form to CIFAS yet? They are usually quite quick to get back to you (within a week).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Thanks for your replies.

It seems as if im just sinking in a whole thats getting deeper and deeper each day. I have requested and sent of the £10 to get any information held on me by CIFAS.

The bad news is I got an unsuccessful application with cashplus to. Im very depressed and dont know what im going to do about work. If high street banks deny me and also pre paid what do I do honestly?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 8:42PM
    Thanks for your replies.

It seems as if im just sinking in a whole thats getting deeper and deeper each day. I have requested and sent of the £10 to get any information held on me by CIFAS.

The bad news is I got an unsuccessful application with cashplus to. Im very depressed and dont know what im going to do about work. If high street banks deny me and also pre paid what do I do honestly?

As been suggested have you applied for a Pockit or Revolut card ?
  • I will try Pockit. Just seems fishy they do not need any ID to open your account or nothing. But if its an alternative where I can get my wages then so be it.

Also, nationwide deny putting any markers against me even though this is the first time in my life that something happened with a bank.

I will call every single bank tomorrow that ive ever been with and see if I can get a result. (Even though ive never had an issue until this nationwide situation)

What is the purpose of CIFAS? Just to let you know if you have a marker? And arent banks the ones who place these markers and remove them? So what actually changes when you get the CIFAS SAR, is it a sort of key to allow banks to disclose information? Because nationwide have already disclosed information that they have not set a marker.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,890 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 9:42PM
    I will try Pockit. Just seems fishy they do not need any ID to open your account or nothing. But if its an alternative where I can get my wages then so be it.

Also, nationwide deny putting any markers against me even though this is the first time in my life that something happened with a bank.

I will call every single bank tomorrow that ive ever been with and see if I can get a result. (Even though ive never had an issue until this nationwide situation)

What is the purpose of CIFAS? Just to let you know if you have a marker? And arent banks the ones who place these markers and remove them? So what actually changes when you get the CIFAS SAR, is it a sort of key to allow banks to disclose information? Because nationwide have already disclosed information that they have not set a marker.

The purpose of the CIFAS databases is to protect financial institutions and also customers from different types of fraud by warning them when the person they are dealing with has had a fraud committed against them or has committed a fraud themselves. That way they can be ultra cautious when they receive an application for a facility, making extra checks to avoid identity fraud or refusing the facility for someone that has committed fraud against another CIFAS member in the last 6 years due to a higher risk that they'll use that institution to commit fraud as well.

Only CIFAS members can see CIFAS data and add data to the database. Members of the National Fraud Database are below:

https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/national-fraud-database/national-fraud-database-members

A subject access request (under the Data Protection Act) allows you to see if any information is held about you by a company and if so, to see that information.
  • But once I do a SAR, and find out who has a marker on me. I contact them and then they will just deny it or tell me they arent obliged to disclose this sort of information. So what do i do once i get the SAR from CIFAS, seems like I will just be going in circles.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 September 2017 at 9:43PM
    I will try Pockit. Just seems fishy they do not need any ID to open your account or nothing.

Pockit carry out an electronic ID check, i.e. they check the electoral register and other sources, such as credit reference agencies, but for ID purposes only, they don't do a credit check.

If they can't confirm your identity they will still let you have a card, but the payment limits and facilities will be restricted.

Pockit also carry out checks and share information with fraud prevention agencies.

http://www.pockit.com/files/Current%20T&Cs%20-%20Pockit%20Card.pdf
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,890 Forumite
    But once I do a SAR, and find out who has a marker on me. I contact them and then they will just deny it or tell me they arent obliged to disclose this sort of information. So what do i do once i get the SAR from CIFAS, seems like I will just be going in circles.

You won't go round in circles once you can prove to them that you know they've put something on CIFAS.

As it is, you can't say to them "you've registered me with CIFAS" as you don't know (for sure). Starting a formal complaint will get them to listen to you...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure