Extension Process?

Options
So we ideally want to extend our home - 2 storey extension creating 2 rooms downstairs and 2 rooms upstairs, no kitchens or bathrooms so just basic electrics needed. My query is the process - Which do we do first?
-Planning permission
-Architect / designer to draw up plans
-Builder for a quote on the project

My reasoning being that without the builders quote how will I know whether it will go ahead and without plans how can I get planning permission? Also can the builder not draw up the diagrams etc
Is there not companies out there that will do it all?

Also in order to fund it -
-If it was an additional borrowing on the mortgage would they look at the value now or the value after the extension?

Mortgage 29 Years in total - £148k house value, 124k left on mortgage.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The mortgage company will value on what the house is worth now. If that is where your funds are coming from then I think you're scuppered. A two storey extension is going to cost far more than you have in equity.

In fact, with such a reasonably priced house, I don't think you'd ever see your money back on a two storey extension. Are you prepared for that?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    The mortgage company will value on what the house is worth now. If that is where your funds are coming from then I think you're scuppered. A two storey extension is going to cost far more than you have in equity.

In fact, with such a reasonably priced house, I don't think you'd ever see your money back on a two storey extension. Are you prepared for that?

Agreed.

It'll more than likely be cheaper to move to a house that already meets your requirements, than to spend it on this house.

is there something unique about this house that means you cant move?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It isnt about the return on investment - I intend to live in the house for another 30 years so whether it adds value or not is irrelevant to me.

What I would like to know is the correct process if that is possible?

Most people by the time they have paid interest on their mortgage sell with making a loss anyway dont they??
  • Gemsterg
    Options
    Not saying this is the correct way, but we done builder, architect and then planning permission. In my area, the plans need to come from an architect anyway so couldn't do it any other way. We are in a similar situation to yourself where the investment won't be returned, however we don't plan to move either but just want a bigger, nicer house that suits our needs.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    It isnt about the return on investment - I intend to live in the house for another 30 years so whether it adds value or not is irrelevant to me.

What I would like to know is the correct process if that is possible?

Most people by the time they have paid interest on their mortgage sell with making a loss anyway dont they??

okay,

Lets assume that the rooms are 3mX3m each, so that's 18sqm per floor for a total 36 sq m extension, price would be around £50k ish, depending on access materials, ground conditions ect, could be much higher, could be a bit lower.

the correct way to do it,

1)Plans drawn up, inc structural designs, you need these for planning and getting GOOD builders quotes

2)Planning permission, you need to make sure you can build what you want

3)Quotes, without 1 and 2 builders wont know what you actually want or need, so wont be able to give you good quotes.

There are companies that will do everything for you, but naturally you pay a premium for them, so add 20% to the cost.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    okay,

Lets assume that the rooms are 3mX3m each, so that's 18sqm per floor for a total 36 sq m extension, price would be around £50k ish, depending on access materials, ground conditions ect, could be much higher, could be a bit lower.

the correct way to do it,

1)Plans drawn up, inc structural designs, you need these for planning and getting GOOD builders quotes

2)Planning permission, you need to make sure you can build what you want

3)Quotes, without 1 and 2 builders wont know what you actually want or need, so wont be able to give you good quotes.

There are companies that will do everything for you, but naturally you pay a premium for them, so add 20% to the cost.
    Agree completely, you need good plans to get accurate quotes from builders.

Get the plans drawn up by an architect. Take these plans to a number of builders for quotes. Once you have the quotes you can figure out if you can afford to go ahead with the build. If it is affordable then you start getting approvals and the the build begins.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • 70sthrowback
    Options
    Looking at your current LTV you are not going to get much additional borrowing on your mortgage. Depends on your lender but I believe most are 80 or 85% max LTV.

In terms of the other order, to get an accurate quote as others have said you need plans from the architect. Even with plans I struggled to get quotes from builders, they all seem to be very busy. Without them they weren't interested in coming round to look at the house to discuss.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • jjherts
    jjherts Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 29 August 2017 at 2:13PM
    Options
    Yep you need good plans drawn up....
    Submit to local authority for planning permission...
    Either use local authority building Regs or a cheaper independent one...
    Go to local builders merchants and ask what company or individual builder frequents the most, or buys most.... generally a good sign of a busy and well regarded builder... look at their previous work and clients!

We had a £200,000 mortgage on a £457,000 house and just managed to get £67,000 extra for our single storey, pitched roof extension (joint income £95,000).
    Extension complete rolled in at £89,000 had to use savings to finish off kitchen etc).

Good luck
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My local authority expect around 6 detailed drawings and that is with the pre-approval questionnaire. I have contacted architects and the quotes range from £600-900 - Is this about right? It is a 2 storey extension with just 3 rooms none of these kitchen and bathroom. Also with regards to architects do they actually need to see the property to do the drawings.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a formal pre-app process. You won't need to provide any more afterwards.

That is the lower end of the scale of architects drawings. £600 is actually too low, IMO.

It would be ridiculous if architects didn't see the property before producing drawings. The house needs measuring before anything can be produced.

I'm still standing by my original comment on budget. If you're expecting to do this within the equity on your house, you're in for a shock. As martinsurrey says, £50k is really a start point.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure