Bizarre Amazon Charging Problem

I placed an order for a CD on Amazon's website for £9.59 in July 2018 which was listed as in stock soon.For the last 9 months have been getting regular we are still trying to obtain your item emails and not thought to much of it.A few weeks ago I got an email asking me to verify my card,which I have never been asked to do as I shop on Amazon pretty much every day,but clicked on the link and thought the CD must finally be instock.Noticed I then got an email saying that my card was declined which sometimes happens, I guess for security check reasons, so went back in and used a different stored card.
Thought it was strange that there was still no change in the despatch status for a few days but then noticed that payment had been taken on both cards and still no sign of the CD being sent.
Now for the odd bit,I contacted Amazon via email and they at first denied the charges had been taken?After a few more exchanges and me sending screenshots for the 2 identical transactions from my bank statements they have said they are merely authorizations and will drop off.16 emails and 2 hour long telephone conversations later they will not budge and keep saying the transactions will never come out of my bank even after I have shown them they have?I have even sent emails to the UK managing director and the CEO of Amazon and I keep getting the same response.I have spoken to my bank and they have confirmed the transactions have been taken.They are a little hesitant to refund them as they say I have technically given consent for them to take this money so they are not unknown tranactions?
Sorry for the rambling post but what can I do?Amazon have basically stolen £19 and are refusing to do anything about it.I have spent hours chasing this and getting irritated and just want them to admit it's their mistake.I am tempted to go the small claims route even though it's probably more effort than it's worth,or could trading standards help?
Any advice or insights into this would be most welcome.

Comments

• Matty36
    Matty36 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Firstly, never click a link in an email as you could have been redirected to a clone site. If you receive emails asking you to click, then open your browser and go to the actual website yourself. That goes for any website

I've always found amazons customer service to be excellent. Though this whole thing sounds a tad dodgy. Go to your orders and see what it says. Amazon don't usually take anything until items are dispatched

As for small claims for £19, don't waste your time.
  • mrrockford01
    mrrockford01 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As I said it is an odd one,there is no fraud here apart from Amazon themselves refusing to give the money back.I can only assume it is some sort of computer error which they won't look into.They are not denying they made the authorizations saying they have a new system where they now take authorization when you place an order?
    I have just hit a brick wall as there doesn't seem to be any way to get my money back.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a similar thing happen with a £230 mobile phone only it was out for delivery then about 15:30 it said delivered handed to the resident I immediately emailed Amazon and they contacted the driver and it turned up 90 minutes later Amazon gave me a £5 credit on my next order. The driver who delivered it put a card through saying delivered to neighbour even though I saw the van he was possibly trying to keep it for himself or sell it.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Cancel your order the no payment will be due.
  • They have already taken the payment twice?Getting them back is what's causing the problem
  • You say your bank has "confirmed" that payment has been taken twice. Why not submit this proof to Amazon and get your money back?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ...Noticed I then got an email saying that my card was declined which sometimes happens, I guess for security check reasons...

No idea why you'd think that was true.

Have you actually got 2 confirmed paid for orders on your account? I'm guessing you've not actually received any items.

I've worked on various projects at work and shadow payments (it's what we call them) do occasionally pop up on different clients. We can usually see failed or pending payments at our end but we always have to escalate them as they never update to anything else from what we can access.
  • mrrockford01
    Thanks guys,yes the order status is still saying no current date for despatch as it is still not in stock.I have sent them copies of the bank statements but they are refusing to take any notice and saying the charges are only authorizations even though they are clearly actual debits?That's why I'm at deadlock with them,never known of a reputable retailer just refuse to see bank statement as proof before?
  • mrrockford01
    Here is the actual reply I keep getting,I have 16 of these!

The Executive Customer Relations Department is the most senior department to which an issue may be escalated within Amazon.co.uk. This department liaises with customers on behalf of Amazon's most senior business executives, including the Amazon.co.uk Managing Director. Should you wish to contact Mr Douglas Gurr directly, you may do so. However, as mentioned, a reply to any correspondence sent to Mr Gurr, will be sent from the Executive Customer Relations Department.

I am sorry to know that you are disappointed with our previous response. However, I can confirm that the information provided previously is correct.

I understand that you see two charges of £9.59 each on your bank statement towards order # *********** however the order is not yet shipped. I have also reviewed the bank statements you have attached previously. Since there are no charges made from our end for this order at this point of time, what you are seeing in your bank statements are reservations/authorisations.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Do you see TWO orders in your Amazon account? If yes then cancel one or both of them - job jobbed.

And yes - it's entirely feasible for these to be fund reservations rather than withdrawn funds. What have your bank/card provider said? Are they withdrawn funds or merely reserved amounts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure